Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Toothless Art :3
Topic Started: 19 Aug 2014, 18:30 (1333 Views)
draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

This piece is probably my best yet. Still, lots to improve *sigh*

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

Nice job! Love the background and the eyes are really adorable <3
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

I love it!!! :D

For the record, you do backgrounds way better that I can :)

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Dude (sorry if you're a girl, I just call everyone dude these days XD) I can't see a thing that you need to improve. Sure, if you compare it to stuff other people have done, it might seem like it needs improvement. But that's the thing: you mustn't compare it to other people's work. Wow, if I compared my animations to ScribbleNetty's (epic animator on YouTube and my idol), mine just seem like stuff I've drawn on Paint.

I personally love it and the day I can do digital art that well I'll just die on the spot XD
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

As other have said there really isn't anything that you need to improve. I sort of disagree with BerserkDragon...you should compare your work to others as its a really good gauge as to how good your artwork really is. It gives you perspective and that can be tremendously helpful in improving your skills. But you should also be careful in what/who you are comparing yourself to. As cliche as it sounds you must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. For the style/look your aiming for, in my humble opinion you have "reached the top" :D or at least are high enough where my untrained eyes can't tell the difference :P

However there is one thing I will say. The only thing that bothers me just a tad is the fact that there is little to no contrast in Toothess's body. Its pretty much all black. I don't know if this is just an issue with my screen (i'm viewing this on a tablet and not on my color calibrated monitor) but it seems a little to dark. A few more gray tones would help define his front and back legs a little better (sort of like you did with his head). But if that was your intention than that's totally ok. :D I just think it might look a little better with his features defined.

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

Whitefang
19 Aug 2014, 22:57
Nice job! Love the background and the eyes are really adorable <3
The Norse Nerd
20 Aug 2014, 00:44
I love it!!! :D

For the record, you do backgrounds way better that I can :)
Well I actually took time for the background this time XD usually I just slap on some colors and call it finished.
BerserkDragon
20 Aug 2014, 08:45
Dude (sorry if you're a girl, I just call everyone dude these days XD) I can't see a thing that you need to improve. Sure, if you compare it to stuff other people have done, it might seem like it needs improvement. But that's the thing: you mustn't compare it to other people's work. Wow, if I compared my animations to ScribbleNetty's (epic animator on YouTube and my idol), mine just seem like stuff I've drawn on Paint.

I personally love it and the day I can do digital art that well I'll just die on the spot XD
Yeah I'm a girl :P

And by improve, I mean personal improvement. I rarely compare, actually, unless to try and learn some useful techniques: it makes you sad and unmotivated when you see better artists, and besides, everyone has different skills. I do digital art as a hobby; it's not that important. Right now, what I mean by improve is a. improving on shading (you can see the two wings weren't differenciated enough) and b. the anatomy.

And I'm sure you'll get better, your art's awesome already :)
NightoftheFury
21 Aug 2014, 05:44
As other have said there really isn't anything that you need to improve. I sort of disagree with BerserkDragon...you should compare your work to others as its a really good gauge as to how good your artwork really is. It gives you perspective and that can be tremendously helpful in improving your skills. But you should also be careful in what/who you are comparing yourself to. As cliche as it sounds you must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. For the style/look your aiming for, in my humble opinion you have "reached the top" :D or at least are high enough where my untrained eyes can't tell the difference :P

However there is one thing I will say. The only thing that bothers me just a tad is the fact that there is little to no contrast in Toothess's body. Its pretty much all black. I don't know if this is just an issue with my screen (i'm viewing this on a tablet and not on my color calibrated monitor) but it seems a little to dark. A few more gray tones would help define his front and back legs a little better (sort of like you did with his head). But if that was your intention than that's totally ok. :D I just think it might look a little better with his features defined.
Thanks for the advice. See above.

If the colors aren't bright enough I can raise the brightness on the layers. Somehow the picture always appears more dark on my phone, so I know what it looks like.