Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Chicken's Chicken Scratch
Topic Started: 06 Jan 2017, 03:46 (13822 Views)
Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

I'm generally pretty terrible at art, but occasionally I make something that looks decent.

I think I did a fairly good job tonight. (That means a fairly good job for me. Most people on the Grapevine are better, but still.) I'm not quite done, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to clean it up.

Here's Snotlout at Stoick's funeral. The paper was curled because I didn't have it flat while I was drawing, so the top of his helmet looks a little weird in the photo.

I was impressed by how Viking-like he looked in that scene. I might also try Fishlegs in that scene soon. Even though they often look kind of goofy, they looked really good in that scene.

I made it by tracing the basic outlines off the computer screen.

I know, not real "art," but it's practice. Plus, this way, he didn't end up looking like a blobfish.

(In the preview, the pictures are looking absolutely HUGE, despite my efforts to resize them... let's see if they turn out that big. Edit: Yay, they worked!)
Clouds of corn <3
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

Nice :D

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

AstridHofferson
Deadly Nadder

That's cool! :D
Stoick: What in Thor's name is going on!?
Astrid: The eggs explode
- Gift of the Night Fury

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

The Norse Nerd
06 Jan 2017, 16:42
Nice :D
AstridHofferson
07 Jan 2017, 18:25
That's cool! :D
Thanks!

--

I spent today working on using a new medium -- slightly wet soot. And I used a mixture of tea bags and more powdery soot, for the old paper look.

The picture isn't great (you can't see the L in soul very well, for one thing), but my mom didn't want me putting sooty paper on the scanner for some reason. I wonder why :P
And the paper is crinkled from being held for a couple hours near the stove I was getting the soot from. I was using a wet paper towel to wipe it from inside the door and the walls.
Clouds of corn <3

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Tracing is not ‘not real art’! Tracing is just a way to get the muscle memory of the drawing!
Heck, nothing is not ‘real art’. Art is something you created. You created it, and you think it looks good. It is art. Everything is art.
(I can’t do motivational speeches)
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Sparrowhawk
01 Aug 2017, 00:00
Tracing is not ‘not real art’! Tracing is just a way to get the muscle memory of the drawing!
Heck, nothing is not ‘real art’. Art is something you created. You created it, and you think it looks good. It is art. Everything is art.
(I can’t do motivational speeches)
Thanks! :D And I think the muscle memory is actually helping, too! Or maybe it's not muscle memory... it seems like I can visualize what I'm trying to do ever-so-slightly better.
Clouds of corn <3

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Did two random people for practice and then I added Hiccup just to see if I could make a recognizable character. Typically I trace to get the basic outline before changing little details, but I didn't have to do that here.

Also, if you're wondering why the random dude is crooked and behind Hiccup, I made his head first, then did the rest of the drawing, then decided that he'd look better if he wasn't a floating head.
Clouds of corn <3

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

That actually looks pretty good! Especially Hiccup. Definitely far better than I could do. :D
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Dragonrider's Fury
21 Nov 2018, 22:00
That actually looks pretty good! Especially Hiccup. Definitely far better than I could do. :D
Thanks! Honestly, I'm just thankful for the existence of the weighted pencil. It helps keep strokes smoother and more controlled and makes it possible to focus on the overall design.
Clouds of corn <3

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

You're welcome. :)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D