Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Fury's 3D CG Art
Topic Started: 27 Mar 2020, 15:43 (17608 Views)
Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

So, as probably everyone who's been around for the past 2 years knows already, I enjoy creating 3D art with Blender. So, I have decided to create a thread for showcasing some of my dragon-esque work. :D Enjoy!

To begin with, I'll post this:

As you can probably guess, I did this to celebrate the tenth anniversary of HTTYD's release on March 26th, 2020. It is not strictly an original work; I adapted a piece of traditional art shared by NightLightNadderWhip on the Dragon Chat. My greatest accomplishment in this piece would probably have to be Toothless' pose. Have you any idea how hard it is to pose a Night Fury and make it look good? ^) All in all, I am quite happy with how this came out. :)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

These are just a couple of the many angles from which I've rendered the "set" for a personal project I'm working on. I am really happy with how the courtyard came out, and you can be sure I'll be messing with it for a good while! :)

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Hm, I think I've lost some of my artwork that used to be here... ^) But I recently made this, and I'm extremely pleased with how it came out! :D

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Okay, I know I said "dragon-esque work" in the OP, but with that last render I posted, I kinda disregarded that. So I think I'll just dump all my good enough CG art here, if no one has any complaints. With that, I'll post my most recent piece:

Just a "simple" piece I made for Independence Day... but I started the real work a day or two after the Fourth, then ran into problems, rethought how I was going to do it, made changes, polished it a bit, and only then started the final render. And only once it was ~3/4 of the way through remembered that I was going to add some text, too. :P But I decided to forego that.

Setup time: ~3-6? days, very non-constant
Render time: 34 hours, 28 minutes, 47.28 seconds @4096 samples, mostly running on 2 cores

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

While I'm here, guess I might as well repost this, since I had posted it before the servers died a fiery death.

A quick and lazy piece I rendered up based on the traditional Dovahzul greeting, "Drem yol lok!" For anyone who isn't familiar with the dragon-speech (Dovahzul) from The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, it literally translates to "Peace fire sky". It occurred to me that that would make just as good a farewell as a greeting.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Here's a "simple" project I've been working on for the past two weeks at least. :P Posing a Night Fury reasonably is a real chore, and I have been thoroughly reminded why I don't render HTTYD fanart particularly often.

That was rendered in Cycles, and here's approximately the same scene rendered in Blender Internal. Since I don't know how to use HDRIs in BI, the lighting is significantly worse.

Edit: Here's a slight revision. I added a low-density pale-yellow volume to hopefully look like pollen kicked up by their romping. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I like it better.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Here is one of the first full renders of a model I created from some wonderful concept art drawn by Flitt Locke from a vague textual description of an original species I came up with. The Duskbreather/Nightbreather/Darkbreather (still haven't fully settled on a name...) is a nocturnal, communal species about the size of the Terrible Terror. It is named mainly for the dark midnight-purple mist it breathes, which renders the target temporarily blind. It's habitat is mainly high mountain caves below the snowline. They are extremely fast in the air, and basically invisible.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I made some adjustments. Now it needs a moon.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Here are a couple renders I did for the "Sorta Secret Winter Gift Exchange" event on the HTTYD Artists Discord server. (Yes, I exist there. :P ) I was assigned user T-thenightfury, who (like most of us) requested art of his OC. (Why does everyone need a Fury OC, anyway?? :blink: ) So I borrowed SoD's Toothless model, gave it some texture tweaks, a Subdivision Surface modifier, a mirrored tailfin, a couple of scars, and some skeletal upgrades, modeled a hut and a torch, set up a scene, and waited 6+ hours apiece for the 4K renders to finish. (Yes, I'm simplifying. :P )
I think they turned out pretty well. The focus is a bit odd, but not intolerable, and there isn't enough forest, but otherwise I think I like them. ^_^

Team Pathetic Banner

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Nice! I like how the whole environment works together like that. It's got a great feel!

Out of curiosity, what does the Subdivision Surface modifier do?
Clouds of corn <3