Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Legend Of Scale
Topic Started: 09 Apr 2014, 17:02 (1790 Views)
Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Chapter 1

Worthless! Loser! Sorry excuse for a viking! You can't do anything right! Even your father hates you! Hiccup has been told these things and so many more. He can't take It! Done! He's done.

It was a normal day on berk, the dragons had just raided the day before so all the villagers were helping on clean up duty. The big burly humans were gathering farm animals, rebuilding houses, an helping those who were injured by those horrid devils.

The sun was at it's peak, shining down on the rock called Berk. It was a nice village, although, it's residents couldn't be called that. Sure, they were nice to each other, as long as you looked, acted and even smelled like a viking you would go far. To bad little Hiccup was nothing like that. He was looked at as the village screw up, the village idiot even though he had more brains then all of berk combined.

Everyone looked down on him. No one gave him the time of day, except for the village blacksmith. Gobber the Belch was the blacksmith for berk, and Hiccups only friend. He was big, smelly, stupid and only had half of his limbs still in tact, but he loved Hiccup like a son, and Hiccup saw him as a father figure. When Hiccup leaves, it will surly strike a cord deep within the man.

Yes, Hiccup was planning on leaving, he just didn't know how or when. Sorrow, pain, fear. This is what Hiccup felt, this is how the people he looked up to made him feel. Why does he want to be like them? Because that is who his father is. Ever since he was young, he tried to show his father - no - his idol, that he could be something to be proud of. For years, Hiccup dreamed of hearing his father say, 'That's my boy!' He would have to keep waiting.

Dragons raids have been coming more frequent, perfect for Hiccup to down a dragon. It was on one of these days that the people of Berk are trained for. A dragon raid had begun in the early morning, battle cries, giant flying lizards, fire raining from the darkened sky, this is what Berk has to deal with... this is why Hiccup is labeled useless. To be excepted in this community you have to be able to hold your own against the beasts. Hiccup was a 14 year old boy built out of twigs. He had no muscle, no fighting skills, no friends. The only thing he had was his brains, and he planned to use them.

Hiccup was a nerd in some ways, often locking himself away in his own little workshop in the forge for hours. There, he built amazing things, things to help him on the battlefield, things to make people see he was worth something. Failure! That is the thought that go's through his mind every time one of his inventions fail. These amazing creations are suppose to bring him honor, their suppose to show everyone that he could do good, that he could be seen as an equal, not some kind of annoying brother that you wished was never born. But, he didn't give up, didn't stop trying. Every time he was called useless or pathetic, he shrugged it off and told himself, 'Next time, I'll show them.'

It happened on one faithful night, during a dragon raid, Hiccup used his newest creation, the Bola Cannon. Running through the village while vikings yelled at him, telling him to get back inside. He didn't listen, this was his time for Thor's sake!

Sprinting. Running as fast as his legs could carry him with his Bola Cannon rolling on it's wheels. He needed to get to a place where he would have a clear view of the sky, he needed to get out of the village. He slammed his creation down onto the ground once he reached his destination. It came alive! Things sprang up hear and there and before you knew it, their was a completely different contraption. It looked like a wooden cannon mixed with a crossbow, it sat on it's own stand and had an iron site on the top for aiming.

He waited. And waited... And waited. All the while mumbling to him self, 'Come on, give me something to shoot at.' He waited, staring up at the clear, star filled sky. High up he could a see black figure, only noticeable when it blocked out some of the star light. This is what Hiccup was waiting for, something to shoot at. If he could down this dragon, oh, it could fix everything! He could have a real life!

Hiccup strained his eyes on the dark mass, it was difficult to see. He was filled with anticipation, his eyes were narrow and his hands clutch his creation, ready to pull the trigger. He heard a screech, a legendary screech that came from a beast known only as a Night Fury. Hiccup grew excited, but he waited until just the right moment to strike.

The mighty dragon began it's descent at alarming speed, all the while creating it's signature high pitched whistle. It came close to a viking watch tower near Hiccup. With one, powerful, plasma blast, the dragon destroyed the tower with an amazing ball of fire. The beast flew in-front of the fiery inferno, lighting up it's body completely for the boy to get a good look at it. Hiccup was quick, he aimed his canon at the dragon and fired! The recoil of the machine was to much for the lad and it sent him backwards.

Hiccup landed on his back, but quickly got up on his elbows to see if he hit it. Yes. Hiccup did it! The Night Fury had been tied up in the bola perfectly and was seen -and herd by Hiccup- falling off into the woods near raven point. Hiccup got up fully, for once in his life he didn't botch it up! He flung his hands up in victory, his face were dimly lit, but you could see the happiness in his face, his smile showed it and his eyes showed it.

"Oh I... I hit it! I hit it!" Hiccup yelled in victory, pupping his fists up in the air. "Did anyone see that?" He turned around to see if anyone had seen his marvelous accomplishment, someone did, but it wasn't a viking. A loud crash sounded behind Hiccup, when he turned around he saw that a Monstrous Nightmare had crushed his beloved creation. "Except for you," the teen said sarcastically, dropping his hands in defeat.

The Nightmare was a feared dragon, hence it's name. It was one of the largest breeds of dragons Berk had to fight. This one in-particular was red with thick, black, lines on it's body. The Nightmare's walk on it's hind legs, but uses it claws on its large wings to walk like a dog on all fours.

Hiccup took off sprinting, the dragon close behind. This wasn't suppose to happen, he had just downed a Night Fury and now he wasn't going to get to live to see his new and improved life. Hiccup gave a very un-viking like scream while sprinting down a small slope. The terror filled scream alerted his pissed father, Stoick, that he was in danger once again.

Stoick, chief of the tribe, was everything a viking should be. He was big, tough, and had barrels for biceps. He also sported a small viking helmet with horns coming out of the sides, one for each. That and his large red beard, which was braided in several spots, made a very intimidating looking viking. The man saw his son running down a hill, the Nightmare crawling close behind him.

"Do not let them escape!" he ordered his men, who had a group of Nadders trapped in a large net. Stoick took off in a mad dash towards his son, hoping that he wouldn't be to late.

Hiccup took cover behind a wooden beam that was supporting a large torch that lit up the night, so that the dragons could be visible whilst their flying. Hiccup was very thin, so he was able to get his whole body behind the beam. Putting his head in his hands, he waited for the beast to take him. The Nightmare shot a blast of fire at the wooden beam, leaving an impressive scorch mark, but Hiccup was still alive. The dragon started to close in on his helpless pray. Hiccup was trembling, his stomach churned with fear, but, Stoick the Vast had made it to him in time. He jumped in-between his son's hiding place and the surprised dragon.

The Nightmare tried to blast Stoick with fire, but he had reached his shot limit. The beast looked at Stoick with a worried expression, he knew what was coming. Stoick knew what was as well, and gave a devilish smirk. He was in a fighting stance, ready to take on the dragon if he tried anything funny.

"Your all out," Stoick said more to himself then anyone else. He charge the dragon, which was ready to fight. Stoick gave the beast a kick under the jaw, which caused the dragons head to raise. The dragon grunted. Stoick came down on the dragon again with a strong punch to the face. The dragon retreated backwards, it had enough and flew away to join the other retreating dragons, who had gotten an impressive amount of livestock from Berk. This raid went to the dragons.

Stoick watch the dragon fly away, proud of himself for teaching it a lesson. He heard a loud crack sound behind him. The wooden beam Hiccup had been hiding behind had a chunk missing, thanks to the Nightmare. That caused the whole thing to come crashing down, sending the torch rolling through the village. Shouts of alarmed vikings could be heard as they tried to get out of the way. Hiccup was revealed to his father once his hiding place was gone.

Stoick looked at his son with anger and disappointment, why couldn't he be like everyone else in the village? Hiccup was as stiff as a log, he knew he was in trouble. He looked up to his father, who had a very disappointed scowl on his face and quickly searched for an excuse.

"O.K, but I hit a Night Fury," Hiccup said rather quickly, breaking eye contact. Stoick only sighed, and proceeded to yell at him.

No one believed him, the whole village just watched as Stoick yelled at his boy. Eventually, he told Gobber to take Hiccup home.

This was just the beginning, Hiccup snapped after he was put in his house. No one had faith in him, no one believed he could do anything right. Well, that was about to change, soon, Hiccup would be no more... and Scale would be born.

1 MONTH AFTER NIGHT FURY DOWNING

Hiccup had managed to find the beast he had shot down with his bola canon. It was tied up from head to tail, unable to move. At first, Hiccup thought that it was already dead, but when it wasn't, Hiccup raised his knife to take it's life himself. He found that he couldn't, he wasn't man enough and he wasn't viking enough. The dragon looked at him, and Hiccup saw pain, angst... loneliness. He looked at the beast, and he saw himself. So, Hiccup did what no had ever done before, he cut the monster go.

Hiccup had been studying the dragon that had trapped it self in a cove. When the Night Fury was shot down, it lost half of it's tail fin, disabling his ability to fly. For days he studied it, but he never told anyone about his captive dragon. Finally, Hiccup built up enough courage to enter the cove, equipped with a shield and a fish. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the III manged to befriend the Night Fury, which he named Toothless.

2 MONTHS AFTER TOOTHLESS DOWNING

Hiccup and Toothless formed a bond unlike any other, they were best friends, they were each others only friends. Hiccup worked nonstop to make a new tail fin for Toothless so he could fly again. He worked tirelessly for weeks perfecting it, and after many trail and errors, he was finally able to create the perfect tail fin for Toothless. The only problem was, Hiccup needed to control it with his foot, but Toothless didn't mind. In fact, Toothless trusted Hiccup with his life, and so he trusted him with something as important to him as flying. Hiccup and Toothless had perfected flight together and all seemed well, but Hiccups time was running out, soon Toothless would be found by the village.

3 MONTHS AFTER TOOTHLESS DOWNING

Hiccup entered the cove, he had just been chosen to kill the Monstrous Nightmare in the ring, he couldn't do that. His plan was to leave, maybe come back in a few years when things have calmed down. But, a curious Astrid Hofferson followed him their. She wanted to know how Hiccup the useless bested her in dragon training. She wasn't expecting what she saw.

Toothless grew very protected of Hiccup when Hiccup was around anyone(or thing). Astrid tried to take Toothless's head with her ax, but Hiccup stopped her by tackling her to the ground and throwing her ax on the ground. He did his best to calm both girl and dragon.

"Astrid, Toothless," he said introducing her, "Toothless, Astrid." Toothless gave a snarl.

"Hic- Hiccup, what are doing with a DRAGON!?" She all but scream at Hiccup, visibly shaken. She was scared, and that was rare for Astrid. "That thing is a monster, get away from it!" That earned a growl from Toothless and a sigh from Hiccup.

"He's not a monster he's my best friend!" Hiccup shot back. Astrid looked dumbfounded, how could you be friends with a dragon? She was going to say something, but Hiccup continued. Astrid never saw him like this, he looked angry, very angry. She never saw Hiccup lose his cool, she only saw sadness and hurt. But, this Hiccup was going to give her a piece of his mind she was going to have to listen.

"Toothless is not a MONSTER," he began, yelling it. "He is the only one who loves me for me, not for some dragon killer. He treats me with respect, like a brother. He doesn't go out of his way to make me feel bad like people on Berk do. No one treated me with any respect. Even you Astrid, the girl a looked up to and had a crush on for Thor knows how long!" His voice took on a softer, sadder tone, "My own father doesn't like me for me, and my love won't give me the time of day." Astrid still lay on her back, propped up on her elbows. She never knew how Hiccup felt about her, and it hurt her dearly to know that they, she, had made him feel like this. She just lie there, a pained expression on her face.

"Hiccup," she choked out, sorrow and regret was evident in her voice.

"I'm leaving Astrid, you guys won't need to deal with Hiccup the Useless anymore."

"What! Hiccup you..."

"And another thing, when I trained Toothless, I gave my self a reason to live. I have the chance to be useful. But, it's clear that a hiccup can never be useful, so, I think I'll go by a knew name," he looked at Toothless, he hadn't thought about a new name for himself. But, when he looked at Toothless, he thought of a rather nice one.

"Scale. That's my new name, Dragon Scale." Astrid looked dumbfounded as Hiccup climbed on top of Toothless.

"I love you Astrid, you might as well know," he checked his flight gear and then turned back to Astrid, who was still dazed on the dirt floor. "I'll miss you dearly." That was it, those were the last words he spoke before Toothless shot up into the evening sky, quickly disappearing from view.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I just read the first sentences and it sounds awesome! I will read it completly tomorrow in university.

Keep writing!
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Great story, sort of like an alternate ending. I like it.
Can't wait to read more.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

@Zer0X it's a great fanfiction, I think that I will make this a little less fun for Shunckles really, but the whole "The Legends of Scale" is already done, he's on the sequel right now XD (now you can't say that you aren't done with them @Shnuckles XD)

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Whoah.... that was GREAT! :D
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

That was really well done and I really want to see where it goes (I know I'm a little late, but I'm only new on this so... yeah):p I just have to read the rest now when I have the time :p
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

Heather the Berserker
I go where no one goes

This is great!!! At first I was like, 'Whaaat... it's just the movie..... Oh, I see." ;) I love it!!! :)
Bear the flame