Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Fanfiction List
Topic Started: 02 May 2014, 18:01 (13654 Views)
Lageos
Member Avatar
Gronckle

HaddocksOrTails
02 May 2014, 21:26
Baricuda
29 Apr 2014, 03:02
HaddocksOrTails
25 Apr 2014, 00:12
I dunno... I mean, there's a huge - for the lack of a better word - gap between the really popular fics and the rest of them, and I'd really like to read new and probably less known fics, I just need some extra information, like a teaser or a sneak peak even or something to get me involved. Otherwise I can just visit fanficnet and list the most fauvorited fics and voila.
Yea -_- I have noticed that as well with my Fanfic, It seems to attract little to no attention and part of me wants to believe it is the people, but part of me knows it is not, to me it seems like bgv is cliquey.
I think that there are few things that you should probably change. I mean I'm not a fanfic expert and I don't really know what makes a fanfic good, although I have a work in progress that is *somewhat* popular. I'm far too tired so it'd be disrespectful to read yours now, but probably you should add a character or two so people can see who's going to be in it and I'd definitely put more line breaks, because it's easier to read that way. At least for me. But I'll read it when I have some time, it sounds promising.
The thing is that the teen whom the story follows is the main character, in the next chapter, you will see more and more characters added, anyways, about the spacing, I really do not want to add too many line breaks, I honestly want it to be a more challenging read than other fics. With this in mind, I think that doubling the number of line breaks would be enough to be the best of both worlds.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Baricuda
02 May 2014, 22:01
...I honestly want it to be a more challenging read than other fics.
While I admit I have not read your fic yet I will say this. Making it a 'challenging read' won't help you much, as people will just give up reading it if they find that it's not properly spaced and it's not clear.

You have to bare in mind that not everyone is an amazing reader. So it's always best to keep you stories nicely spaced and clear, that it's easily readable and more people (Hopefully) will read it, or at least won't give up.

Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Baricuda
02 May 2014, 22:01
HaddocksOrTails
02 May 2014, 21:26
Baricuda
29 Apr 2014, 03:02
Yea -_- I have noticed that as well with my Fanfic, It seems to attract little to no attention and part of me wants to believe it is the people, but part of me knows it is not, to me it seems like bgv is cliquey.
I think that there are few things that you should probably change. I mean I'm not a fanfic expert and I don't really know what makes a fanfic good, although I have a work in progress that is *somewhat* popular. I'm far too tired so it'd be disrespectful to read yours now, but probably you should add a character or two so people can see who's going to be in it and I'd definitely put more line breaks, because it's easier to read that way. At least for me. But I'll read it when I have some time, it sounds promising.
The thing is that the teen whom the story follows is the main character, in the next chapter, you will see more and more characters added, anyways, about the spacing, I really do not want to add too many line breaks, I honestly want it to be a more challenging read than other fics. With this in mind, I think that doubling the number of line breaks would be enough to be the best of both worlds.
I agree with AndyMay, it's not a wise idea to make it technically hard to read. Line breaks and shorter paragraphs are essential because otherwise it's easy to lost track at the end of each line (unless you use your index finger, like a kid, but who does that on a computer screen or a tablet?). Plus, I don't know about starting a story without any of the main characters from the fandom, I mean why would anyone start to read it without them?
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails

Lageos
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Quote:

I honestly want it to be a more challenging read than other fics.
Quote:

I agree with AndyMay, it's not a wise idea to make it technically hard to read. Line breaks and shorter paragraphs are essential because otherwise it's easy to lost track at the end of each line (unless you use your index finger, like a kid, but who does that on a computer screen or a tablet?).
I never said that I want it to be difficult to read, there are hundreds upon hundreds of fics that have a 1 to 1 ratio of lines to breaks, there are others that are a few sentences per paragraph, That is what I meant, to make it more challenging to read than those, and those fics comprise most of the ones made, That- is what I mean.
Quote:

Plus, I don't know about starting a story without any of the main characters from the fandom, I mean why would anyone start to read it without them?
Why would I not include them? because then it would be like any other fic, just because the series main character's are not introduced within the first chapter, or even the first paragraph, it does not mean that the story is not worth reading or rubbish, so don't judge a book by it's cover.

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Baricuda
02 May 2014, 23:03
Quote:

I honestly want it to be a more challenging read than other fics.
Quote:

Why would I not include them? because then it would be like any other fic, just because the series main character's are not introduced within the first chapter, or even the first paragraph, it does not mean that the story is not worth reading or rubbish, so don't judge a book by it's cover.
Gee, I'm not judging your fic, I'm trying to help. :-o These are just pointers for the fans, you don't have to start the first paragraph with any of the main characters, but creating an own main character is risky (again, not because of the quality of your writing) and as for myself I wouldn't read a fanfic without Astrid in it because she happens to be my favourite character . Making something unique does not mean that you have to do the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails

Lageos
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Quote:

Gee, I'm not judging your fic, I'm trying to help. :-o These are just pointers for the fans, you don't have to start the first paragraph with any of the main characters, but creating an own main character is risky (again, not because of the quality of your writing) and as for myself I wouldn't read a fanfic without Astrid in it because she happens to be my favourite character . Making something unique does not mean that you have to do the exact opposite of what everyone else is doing.
Look, I am sorry for being defensive over my work, I am taking your suggestions into account, about the line breaks, I see where you are coming from, It may be too hard for the demographic, and I am taking precautions to make it easier for people to read.

But one of your suggestions struck me as more of a statement than a suggestion, and that statement got me into that defensive phase, of course I will have critics I will have haters, and I will have fans, Though to me that is basically saying "Why would anyone read your Fic, it does not have any of the main characters one chapter in" and I don't mean to be protective, actually I am open to suggestions, so I hope we are on the same page now, I just don't want people thinking bad of me.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

Hey guys :)

Seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about could you check out the Brothers in Arms collaborative fanfic?

http://forums.berksgrapevine.com/topic/10238568/1/

If you have any tips/comments/criticisms please share :P
The first chapter is split into five scenes.
and it mostly consists of introductions for original characters, so there's a little plot per scene
but in Chapter two there's more of an overall plot involving an original villain :)

Please tell me what you think...
Here or on the fanfic's thread thanks :p

Edit: being ignored is just tops.... :L
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

I want to share mine but It's kinda personal. It's Hiccup and my OC Freyja. If I do post it I will only post like a little bit. What do you guys think should I post it?

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Sometimes I get annoyed how people really only want to write "What if Hiccup ran away" or "Watching the series" or even "Truth or Dare stories". I mean does no one have originality anymore??/

MudkipStar
im just kinda here well occasionally

Mine isn't like that
hi im réka
im developing a mildly unhealthy obsession with obiwan kenobi (more like obiwan kenoBAE am i right)
my personal tumblr is ninja-stop
im also writing a fantasy/humor novel called RESET which i won nanowrimo 2015 with i have a writing tumblr for it if you wanna check that out
yeah thats it this probably isnt what should go in a signature but w/e
i have 2 pet buns