Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Legend Of Scale Chapter 4
Topic Started: 14 Apr 2014, 10:12 (1605 Views)
Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Chapter 4

Astrid was called back to the Great Hall the next morning, dreading what her punishment would be. She wouldn't be surprised if it was banishment and if it was, Astrid was going to find Hiccup.

She entered the Great Hall and was met with the counsel members, although Gobber wasn't present. Where'd he go? She stood before them like last time, ax in hand, standing proud and tall. She looked over to her mother, she gave a weary smile. Phlegma knew what the punishment was, being part of the counsel. Astrid could read her mother, the punishment wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

"Astrid Hofferson," the chief began, leaning back in his chair with his left elbow resting on the table. "You are found guilty of aiding an enemy, do you object?"

Oh. Astrid never thought of Hiccup as an enemy, but she did think of Scale as one. Stoick did as well, apparently. Now she hoped she didn't get executed.

"No, I don't object," she said with a strong voice. Her mother couldn't help but smile, she knew Astrid was only trying to do what she thought was right. Stoick didn't move, he stayed as still as stone, his chest the only thing moving with each breath.

"Your punishment for assisting a traitor will be to bring him back for... for," Stoick couldn't get the words out. He cleared his throat, buying himself some time to force them out. Astrid couldn't take it, she was going to have to bring Hiccup back. She was actually thrilled of maybe seeing him again, until Stoick told her his punishment. "You are to bring him back for... execution."

What! She was suppose to find Hiccup, drag him back, so his own father could kill him? Astrid eyed Stoick with disbelief. Stoick himself kept his eyes, not on her, but on the table, not wanting to look anyone in the eye. "You have till midnight tonight to gather what you need for your departure. You may leave."

"But, sir, Hiccup rides a Night Fury, how am I going to catch him? I'll never get to come back to Berk," she said, trying to convince him it was hopeless to try and catch Hiccup.

"Then don't come back, you brought this to yourself, and shame to your family," Stoick said, matter-a-fact. Showing no emotion, if he did, he would brake down crying. Astrid looked over to her mother, love and kindness was their. She gave her daughter a small nod.

"I'll come help you pack," she said, her voice filled with sorrow of losing her only child.

"She's banished, Phlegma, you may not help her," Spitelout said.

"I'm already shamed, I'm going to help my daughter one last time. It may be the last time I get to spend time with her, Spitelout," she spat his name. Spitelout was about to argue, but Stoick interrupted.

"Let her go, Spitelout, she's fine." Spitelout scowled, but did as the chief said. Mother and daughter walked out of the Great Hall. Astrid hated herself for what she had done, it wasn't right to make her own family suffer for her mistake. Astrid had her eyes trained at the ground, her ax in it's holster on her side. They walked in silence to their house, the only way Astrid knew her mother was there was because she had her hand on her shoulder. It seemed to take ages to reach their house and Astrid was glad that the stares they were getting were now resting on the closed door, not on her. She looked up at her mother and for the first time in years, there were tears in her eyes, begging to be released. Astrid was stubborn, she wasn't going to cry, not in front of her mother.

"I'm so... I'm so sorry mama," she said. Phlegma enveloped her daughter into to hug.

"It's fine, dear. You did what you thought was best. We never treated Hiccup right and you wanted to do one thing to honor him. There is nothing wrong with that," she said, effectively comforting Astrid, a little. She pulled away from the hug.

"How am I suppose to catch Hiccup when he rides a dragon?"

"Well, guess you'll have to fly a dragon yourself," Astrid was shocked to hear her mother say that. But, it was true, the only possible way to catch Hiccup was to train a dragon of her own. There was still something that bugged her a little though.

"Mom, what happened to Gobber?"

"He was attacked by a dragon last night," Phlegma said sadly. "Gothi was taken too." Astrid thought about what her mother had told her. Two dragons, took two people. When dragons raid, there are way more dragons then just two. The only thing she could come up with that would explain it would be... Hiccup. Gobber was the only that was nice to Hiccup, so maybe Hiccup wanted to see him, to say good by, but why Gothi?

"Alright deary," her mother said, breaking Astrid out of thought. "We'll get you everything you need, then when most of the village is asleep, we'll figure out how Hiccup trained that dragon."

Just then, people were shouting outside the Hofferson house hold. They were quiet at first, but grew louder quickly. Shouts of 'Gobber' were coming from the village. Astrid and Phlegma looked at each other, then ran outside into the plaza. It was true, Gobber was hobbling through a crowd of people, all asking the same question,'what happened? Where'd you go.' Astrid didn't get a chance to talk to him, because he locked himself in his forge. Astrid felt a little deflated, Gobber was the only one who might know where Hiccup was and he wouldn't let her in the blasted forge! Oh well, she thought, he has to come out sometime.

Astrid couldn't wait outside the forge all day for Gobber, she had stuff to do and soon, a dragon to train.

{On Dragon Island}

Scale lay on his back, bandages covered most of his body. He was cold, even with the thick wool blanket Gothi had brought him. Gothi was cleaning up her medical supplies, she said -or wrote- that Scale's would be fine, he just needed time to heal and to clean his missing limb every day. His missing limb was why Gobber had to leave early, to make him a prosthetic.

The Scale walkers were there with Scale as well, standing in a line, arms folded across their chests'. Their hoods were still hiding their faces'.

"You guys don't talk much, do you?" Scale question with a hoarse voice. "Come on, at least tell me your names." The Walkers looked among themselves, but caved in.

"My name is Amelia," said the female on the far left. They continued down the line.

"Riker," a male this time.

"Hade" another male.

"April," the last girl said. Hiccup eyed them, still standing like their most dangerous thing in the world. Something else still needed to be cleared up, however.

"K, now that we got the names out of the way, why don't you tell me where the lame name, 'Scale Walkers,' came from?" Scales said.

"Don't you call yourself Scale?" April questioned.

"I was referring more to the 'walker' part."

"We get our name from a series of initiations we have to go through to fully become 'Scale Walkers'. But, we're named for the last one, where we have to walk on a path of heated scales," Riker said.

"So, you literally walk on scales? Lame," Scales said with a quiet chuckle. He couldn't see it, but the Walkers narrowed their eyes' at him. Gothi slapped her stick on the ground to get everyone's attention. She waved to Scale, and motioned to Hade to carry her back to Berk.

"Guess I'll carry the old hag back," Hade said, walking over to Gothi. Hade earned a hit on the head from Gothi. Scale chuckled again.

"She's mute, not deaf." Scale said. Hade looked back at him, then picked up Gothi and put her on his back. Within a second, he was gone and headed to Berk.

Scale looked at Toothless, who was laying in-front of his bed, eyeing the Walkers with his green eyes that could pierce a boulder. The Walkers, however, were undeterred. Toothless grumbled something that actually made the Walkers back up a little, holding out their hands in fake surrender. Scale noticed this.

"You guys understand Toothless?"

"Yes, we know Dragonese," April said. Scale was surprised that the dragons had their own language, but he was even more thrilled that he might be able to learn it.

"So, do... do you guys think you could teach me?" Scale asked, then realized how he said it and rephrased it. "I mean, teach the language to me."

The walkers chuckled at the boys arrogance. He was obviously trying to be something he was not.

"Why are you hear, kid?" Riker asked. Kneeling closer to the boy, even at a grunt of disapproval from Toothless. Scale was taken back from the question. He really didn't want to talk about it, it just made him think of the stuff he left behind, or the person he left behind.

"I need to rest, can you guys excuse us?" Scale asked, even though he said it like it was a command. The Walkers bowed low to their new king, and left the cave where the other dragons had been told to wait. Scale was glad to be alone. He retreated to his thoughts, which always landed on Astrid.

Oh! She was the only one he missed. Every time he passed out due to the lack of blood in his body, he would dream about her. He needed to get her out of his head, it wasn't like he was going to see her again. As soon as he could walk again, he would be traveling, exploring the archipelago, making a name for himself. A girl would only slow him down. Then again, this was Astrid, he would probably do most of the slowing down. Hugh, he needed to think about more important things, like his plan for making name for himself. It's not like it was just going to happen on it's own.

{On Berk}

"There, your all good to go," Phlegma said, closing Astrid's pack. Astrid was seated at the table, poking her last meal on Berk with her fork. Phlegma looked at her daughter, she had never seen her more depressed. Her shoulders were slack and her head was resting on her arm. "Astrid, you'll be fine. I know you can take care of yourself."

"So do I," Astrid said, not looking up from her plate. She sighed. It was an hour till midnight and most of the village was asleep, she'd have to train a dragon soon. Her mother knew that as well.

"Come on, dear, I know that you know what you have to do," Phlegma said, going to stand by her daughter and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. Astrid looked up into her mothers brown eyes, Astrid got her blue eyes from her father, who was killed in an outcast raid.

That day still haunted her, it happened over 4 years ago and it was the reason she taught herself how to fight. Her mother was her last family member, and she was going to make sure nothing bad happened to her. Astrid nodded to her mother, and they both headed towards the dragon training arena. There, Astrid would break the most sacred of viking traditions. She wasn't going to keep the dragon, she just need to catch Hiccup, then she could ditch the dragon and bring Hiccup home to be... to... She couldn't think about what would happen to him, she was putting her family first and Hiccup second.

The walk seemed to take for ever, but the two finally made it to the dragon arena. Phlegma watched her daughter enter, she had to stay up top so she could release the dragon. With the gate closed behind the young female worrier, Phlegma asked what kind of dragon she wanted.

"Nadder," Astrid said, not giving it a second thought.

Training a dragon was harder then she thought and gave props to Hiccup. Her and the Nadder had been running around the arena for half-an-hour, she was running out of time. She needed to train the dragon and leave before midnight. She only had thirty minutes left. Her mother was trying to do her best to give her daughter some advice, but she knew just as much as Astrid... nothing. That was, until a familiar voice made itself present.

"Your doing it wrong, lass," Gobber said, enter the arena. Astrid and the dragon were at a stand still, both not taking their eyes off of the other.

"Gobber, it... it isn't..." Astrid stuttered. Man! She couldn't wait until she was back to her own confident self. Stupid Hiccup for making her like this. Gobber continued walking closer to the dragon.

"I know what your doing, Astrid. I'm hear to help. Hiccup went on and on about these guys. You need to show them your not a threat, lose the ax, Astrid," goober said. Astrid took her eyes off the dragon for a moment to look at the blacksmith. He looked serious, so she complied and threw her ax off to the side. Astrid immediately noted a change in the dragon, but not enough to get any closer to it. Gobber was now in-between Astrid and the dragon.

"You need to show dragons that you can be trusted," Gobber said as he put his good hand close to the dragons snout and looked away. Astrid couldn't believe what she was seeing! The dragon looked at Gobber skeptically, then slowly put her nose in his hand. Gobber looked at the dragon and smiled, he would never get used to that. He slowly moved his hand away from the dragon and turned to look at Astrid, who was shocked. Phlegma watched the whole thing unfold and had the same expression as her daughter.

"Come on, lass, you'll need to leave soon," Gobber said. Astrid, cautiously, made her way over to the man. Gobber grabbed Astrid's hand and slowly put it on the dragon's nose. What Astrid felt next was something she could only describe as, amazing. She could feel the trust, power and love that the beast had. Astrid felt that the dragon had as much emotion as people do, they weren't the brainless, heartless beasts that they thought they were. Astrid couldn't help but laugh. Phlegma clapped for her daughter, but also shed a few tears. Her daughter was actually leaving her.

"Hiccup's at dragon island," Gobber said. Astrid just nodded, not taking her eyes off the dragon. "Stoick told me everything. You won't get Hiccup off that island."

Now Astrid let her hand fall from the dragons snout.

"What do you mean? I have to get him back, or else I can't come home!" Astrid said. Her mother was listening intently, did this mean she was never going to see Astrid again.

"I'm sorry, lass. Gothi came back a few minutes ago, she said Hiccup would be fine..."

"What? What happened to him?" Gobber explained everything he knew to her, she was surprised that Hiccup the Useless could pull that off. Guess they would have to drop the 'Useless' title. Phlegma had made her way into the arena and ran up to Gobber and Astrid, ignoring the dragon.

"Does this mean I won't get to see my baby again?" Phlegma said, trying not to cry. Gobber, sadly, nodded. Yes. Now Phlegma did break down crying. Her and Astrid shared one last hug that they wished would never end.

"I love you mama," Astrid said, a few tears making their way down her cheek.

"I love you, too," Phlegma said, pulling away to look Astrid in the eye. Gobber felt out of place.

"We... should get going, Astrid," He said.

After one more good by, Gobber led Astrid and her dragon to his Changewing, which he landed in the cove. Gobber mounted his dragon after helping Astrid onto her's. The two took off to Dragon Island.

{On Dragon Island}

Astrid and Gobber landed on dragon island and were met with hundreds upon thousands of dragon. It seemed they refused to move until they got word that their king was O.K, which was kept under wraps.

"You have it, Gobber?" Hade asked. Gobber nodded, and handed the Walker something wrapped in cloth. Astrid stared dumbfounded at the man. Hade noticed.

"Don't you know that it's not polite to stare?" Hade said, smiling behind his cloak. Astrid quickly averted her eyes.

"So, mister..." Astrid trailed off, not knowing the mans name, or if he was even a man.

"Hade. Scales in the cave," he said, turning to point at the cave that held Hiccup. That was Astrid needed to know. Without a second thought, Astrid took off in a sprint, ignoring the dragons that were all around her.

"Scale and her... A couple?" Hade asked Gobber. Gobber just sighed.

"It's, complicated," he said. Hade looked back to the cave where Astrid had just entered.

Hiccup still lay on his stone slab, Toothless looking like he was trying not to fall asleep at the foot of his bed. Hiccup didn't notice Astrid came in until Toothless gave a growl, baring his teeth at the girl.

"Astrid? What... What are you doing... hear?" Scale said, why was it that he could never not stutter when talking to Astrid. Oh, wait, it's because it's ASTRID!

"Hiccup..." she began.

"Scale!" He corrected.

"No, I like Hiccup, not Scale," she said, coming closer to the bed, Toothless growled. But, Scale assured him that Astrid was not a threat, at least, he thought she wasn't.

"What do you mean, you like Hiccup?" Scale questioned, not quite believing his own ears. Astrid was now kneeling besides Scale's bed, looking him in the eye. For the first time ever, Astrid blushed.

"I mean, I like Hiccup. Scales is just a jerk," She said, quietly. Scale pondered this for a second.

"I... I guess if... If you like Hiccup, then... I guess I'll be Hiccup. But, the name I make for myself will be under Scale."

"I suppose that's a start," Astrid said. "Now, I have one question."

"What?"

"Can I stay with you?"
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

Strictly against romance, not even hugs! XD

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Oh, I cannot get enough of this! This story is so great!
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

I agree with aurora, this is a great story.
I can't wait to read more.
Please post the rest.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.