Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Shnuckles FanFic Contest
Topic Started: 27 May 2014, 19:04 (2158 Views)
Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

This is a chapter from my rewrite of the first movie. None of this fic is published yet as I don't like updating fics over long periods of time. Also I think if someone was reading it, they'd like to read it all without waiting :3 I'll go against what I just said and use a bit of it to enter Shnuckles contest.

This chapter is after Toothless had saved Hiccup from Hookfang and is being attacked by the Vikings.

~

“No! Stop! Please!” Hiccup begged, but he was pushed back as the crowd advanced on the Night Fury in the arena. Chief Stoick raised an axe above the sleek black dragon’s head, death in his moss green eyes. “Don't hurt Mo- TOOTHLESS!”
A plasma bolt cut through the air, striking the ground next to the pinned Night Fury, sending the Vikings covering the dragon flying.
There was silence as everyone stared in the direction the bolt had come from.

They stared at Hiccup.

Hiccup panted as he attempted to regain control, fighting down the instinct to lash out, to fight, to bite, to fly. Dragons had two choices available to them, fight or flee, but he had a third path, to talk.
And pray that for once, someone would listen. It was the best way for he and Toothless to survive.
“ENOUGH!” He bellowed with small black wings flapping, the movement creating a chilly draft against his back. He ignored it, glaring around the arena instead.
“Hiccup?” Stoick said, his voice soft and confused as he picked himself off the ground, thankfully both unharmed and safely out of striking range to attack Toothless. Toothless made a soft low moan in return, one of annoyance, not injury.
“You can’t hurt Toothless.” Hiccup said, calmer this time, trying to keep his voice even and hopefully commanding, not pleading.
No good. His father's craggy brows went down in a frown. "Give me one good reason not to." He demanded, standing tall.
"I'll give you two." Hiccup said quickly, stepping forward, a minor wave of relief coming to him. His father was giving him a chance. He had to make him believe what he was about to say.
Stoick nodded, crossing his arms in a defensive posture, as if he'd already made up his mind, and there was nothing Hiccup could say to change it. Which normally was true.
"Everything you know about dragons is wrong." Hiccup said, waving an arm in emphasis. "Night Furies most of all. There's a reason why we've only ever see the one."
"Because they're the offspring of Death and Lightning itself?" Gobber helpfully interjected.
"Because they're cursed." Hiccup corrected. He caught the heel of his left boot with the toe of the right, slowly pulling his foot out of the boot. "If you kill a Night Fury, you take their place and become a Night Fury yourself. If you almost kill a Night Fury-"
He pulled his left foot out of the boot. His left foot which was completely black, covered with small pebble like scales and tipped with wicked looking claws. "-It takes a little longer." Hiccup deadpanned.

His nails had turned black by the time he'd gone to bed the night he'd shot Toothless down, accidentally cutting off the black tail fin and rendering the dragon unable to fly. There had been no change when he'd woken up, and he'd figured he'd just kicked something, even if they didn't hurt.
That had changed mid-morning, the blackness and scales growing up his leg with frightening speed. A dragon hunting party returned mid-afternoon. Another spurt happened the next day, and yet another one that evening. Each corresponded with a hunting party's triumphant massacre.
He'd found tiny flexible fleshy horns or flaps tucked behind his ears, like some sort of bizarre pimple. Thankfully his hair had hidden them, he wasn't sure if they were visible. His back had also started aching a few days ago. First they left like big hands were growing out his back but after the membrane grew in, it was clear what they were. Unless he missed his guess, the draft on his back meant he now had wings.

"Every time a member of this tribe kills a dragon, it spreads a little farther, I lose a little more of my humanity." He said, wiggling his toes as the crowd gasped and murmured around him.
"So what?" Snotlout demanded. "Maybe you'll make a better dragon than a human."
Hiccup shot his cousin a glare. "Maybe." He agreed, putting his foot down in the dirt of the arena. He certainly felt more comfortable around Toothless and the other dragons than he ever had around his Tribe.
Which had probably been the only thing that had kept him from freaking out about his strange transformation. After a while, even Toothless' insistence on feeding him regurgitated raw fish had become strangely reassuring the farther along the changes went.
"No." Stoick said, glaring at Snotlout in such a way that Snotlout and the people on either side of him cringed. "Hiccup is still a member of this tribe."

For the moment, was the unspoken part that carried more than Stoick's actual words. There was little doubt that as soon as Hiccup turned mostly dragon, he was next on the chopping block.
"But we cannae just stop killin' them either." Gobber pointed out, the insane voice of reason.
"You don't have to kill the dragons." Hiccup interjected. "I told you, everything you know about them is wrong. They raid us because they have to, if they don't bring enough food back, they'll be eaten themselves."
"-Back to who?" Stoick demanded, eyes narrowing.
Gobber nodded. "Or to what?"

Hiccup swallowed, remembering the acidic stench, the sweltering heat, the maw of the monstrous head that snatched up and ate a Gronckle as if it were nothing more than a mouse. He moved closer to Toothless, pressing his leg against the sleek black scales. "The Queen."
"You found the nest." Stoick stepped forward, surprise written across his face. "How did you find the nest?!"
"Humans can't find the nest, only dragons can." Hiccup shook his head, waving a hand dismissively. "You can't… The dragon is the size of BERK! You're not going to be able to just sail in and kill it, it's Too Big!"
Stoick drew himself up as if to state there wasn't a dragon alive that could stand up to him.
"Anyway!" Hiccup snapped, drawing his father's attention back to what was actually crucial and going on in front of him. "That's not important right now. I said I had TWO reasons for not killing Toothless, if this wasn't enough for you." He said, monitoring to all of himself.

Honestly, he wasn't certain if he was actually enough.
"Fine." Stoick frowned, his expression clearly stating that he was impatient to get on to hunting the big dragon and was only humoring Hiccup. "And the second?"

"Mom."

Stoick and Gobber both turned to look at Toothless, his father raising a hand as if to strike Toothless down. Hiccup shook his head, waving a hand. "No! No! Toothless didn't kill Mom! …Exactly. It's complicated. Ohh..."
Hiccup growled in frustration, running his hands through his hair. "Mom." He motioned at his father. "When I was younger, you used to talk about Mom's eyes, the shade and color. What color eyes did Mom have?"
Stoick frowned, stroking his unruly red beard as if looking for a trap, then sighed and closed his eyes, obviously remembering the woman who had been so important to both of them. Toothless made a soft keening sound and sat up, sleek black head the same level as Stoick.
"Green." He finally said slowly. "The same soft green as the moss that grows on the north of the trees."
Stoick opened his eyes, staring straight into Toothless' moss green eyes. The two stared at each other for a minute, his father's breath catching in his giant throat.

Stoick swallowed. "Valka...?"

Toothless nodded, giving a soft coo in reply, the loving expression obvious even on the reptilian face.
"If you kill a Night Fury, you become one." Hiccup said quietly, motioning to himself and Toothless. "And Mom was one of the best Dragon Killers that Berk has ever seen."

When no one said anything for a long moment, Hiccup quietly spoke up. "Please. Don't hurt Mom."
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Is this the finished version for the contest? Please, if it isn't, then when it is ready, you upload the whole thing as a whole to make it easier for people to read. Last day to finish!

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

Shnuckles
27 May 2014, 23:22
Is this the finished version for the contest? Please, if it isn't, then when it is ready, you upload the whole thing as a whole to make it easier for people to read. Last day to finish!
This is an excerpt from my bigger fic called "Cursed" that hasn't been published. I suppose for all you know this is a oneshot until I release the full version ;)
But yes, this is the finished version for the contest :D

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

That was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, now I want more! XP Please, for Thor's sake, send it to me or post the whole thing!!!!!!!
^_^

MudkipStar
im just kinda here well occasionally

Yes, I agree, post the whole thing!
hi im réka
im developing a mildly unhealthy obsession with obiwan kenobi (more like obiwan kenoBAE am i right)
my personal tumblr is ninja-stop
im also writing a fantasy/humor novel called RESET which i won nanowrimo 2015 with i have a writing tumblr for it if you wanna check that out
yeah thats it this probably isnt what should go in a signature but w/e
i have 2 pet buns

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

Wow.

Your ideas are so creative. It's wonderful. :)

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

Aha!
This was never finished. Never will be finished now. It's officially scrapped!