Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Looking Through Different Eyes
Topic Started: 02 Jun 2014, 20:56 (2941 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Here's the first chapter, sadly, it is mostly following the movieat this point, but the second chapter will be purely my own ideas for the plot. Hopefully you like the start, it examines Toothless' thoughts more than Hiccup's

Looking Through Different Eyes

Chapter 1
“Some people lose their knife or their mug… no not me; I manage to lose an entire dragon!” The brunette complained while trying to find the dragon he had shot the night before. His eyes narrowed and he smacked a branch that was in his way. At the moment, it was the only thing he could take his anger out on.

The teen imagined what a hero the village would see him as if he brought back that stupid Night Fury. No one had believed him when he had told them that the dragon had been shot, but he knew it was still out there. Snapping back on his face, the branch interrupted his short fantasy. “Ow…” he grimaced. His head slowly tilted upwards, seeing a tree that had fallen. Scratch marks were all over the tree’s exterior. Brows furrowing, he followed the tree’s descent.

Was it just his imagination, or did he see the top of a black, scaly body below the ledge he was on? No, it was real. Hiccup had finally found what he was looking for… The brunette ducked behind the ledge out of instinct. Slowly lifting his freckled face over the piece of land, he noticed it wasn’t moving. Clumsily, the boy fumbled with his knife, while bringing it out of his pocket.

Shaken by his discovery, Hiccup hesitantly got off the ledge, staggering to his feet. Taking a nervous breath, the teen cowered behind a boulder, but finally left his few moments of safety. “Oh, wow…” he breathed. “I did it… Oh, I did it! This fixes everything!” a wave of relief rushed over him. “Yes!” He dropped his head back in triumph, letting the word escape his lips. “I have brought down this mighty beast!” After feeling a foot being placed on him as if he was beaten, the beast moaned, coming out of his unconsciousness.

Startled, Hiccup quickly pulled away, back against the rock in terror. A surprised shriek escaped him while getting a good grip on his knife yet again. He slowly inched over, trying to gain back his confidence. The dragon’s eye looked to the boy as if boring into his soul, almost begging for… mercy. It let two shallow breaths escape his scaly lips, knowing he was about to die.

Hiccup bit his bottom lip, as his arms trembled with anxiety. He also breathed twice, with eyebrows furrowing, trying to act brave. “I’m going to kill you, dragon.” He stated determined. “I’m gonna cut out your heart and take it to my father… I’m a Viking…” he closed his eyes, as if to convince him of this. “I’m a Viking!” Taking one more deep breath, the boy adjusted the fingers holding the knife. He hesitated, but raised the knife over his head, ready to strike. He made the mistake of opening his eyes.

Was there actually sadness in the Dragon’s eyes? As if he had just lost everything? Hiccup felt his arms lower slightly. He closed his eyes once again, lifting his arms back up, trying to ignore personal feelings. Isn’t that what his father did? Despite trying to drive personal feelings away, they kept coming back. The breaking point was when the Night Fury laid its head down in submission.

The boy’s arms fell to his head, he couldn’t do it. “I did this…” His hand brushed his face on the way down, not believing that he was fixing to do something extremely stupid.

The beast’s eyes widened and his pupils turned to slits. What was that noise? It sounded like… the cutting of ropes… He was correct; the boy that had shot him down was now releasing him? Was he insane? The dragon felt his limbs drop as the ropes were cut, his arms no longer being held to his chest. Subsequent to his release, the monster leaped onto the boy to seek revenge. A smirk came over his scaly lips as he backed the boy against a rock and prepared to kill him. Something stopped him. The child had wounded him, but had also done him a favor by freeing him. Deep down, the dragon knew he could never fly back to his home. He was as good as dead because of this boy. And yet… he could not die knowing that he did not fulfill a debt.

The teenager’s eyes filled with fear, thinking that this would be his last breath. The blow never came. Instead, a deafening roar rang in his ears, and he felt the air of the dragon’s wings as it flew away. Opening his eyes, he saw the monster stagger about as it flew away. Hiccup breathed heavily while walking away, not able to take everything in, he collapsed in the grass out of terror.
~
Two days later, the dragon growled under his breath, he still couldn’t fly. “And what is this? Has the powerful Raseri been stripped of flight by a measly human child?” A Monstrous Nightmare purred in Dragonese.

“Shut it, Skarpklo.”The Night Fury snapped angrily. He had tried to take off numerous times without his left tail fin, but it never worked.

“Shame you cannot return, the queen has become angry, and we cannot supply enough food without you. We need you, Raseri.”Skarpklo answered, becoming serious. “We will starve come winter.”

Raseri did not answer.

“I will find a way to get you out of this wretched place.”Skarpklo sighed, as an answer never reached his ears. He took a deep breath and flew away from his partner.

Growling, Raseri clawed the ground out of boredom, until he heard movement. His ears perked up, hearing the boy approach the cove. The Night Fury quickly hid behind a few boulders to spy on his visitor. For some reason, the boy had a fish in his hand. It looked as if he was welcoming him, but Toothless knew better. It was only a small, gangly child. What harm could it possibly do to him?

Sensing the boy’s fear, Raseri crawled down the huge rock menacingly, like a panther. Hiccup gave a startled breath, but quickly held the fish out, as if offering peace. Raseri seemed slowly inched closer, hungry but cautious. A glint of sunlight hit the sliver of metal that was under the boy’s waistcoat, making the dragon stop to snarl. He had a weapon. Surprisingly, the boy took out the knife and dropped it to the ground, kicking it into the water with his foot.

Raseri stared at the boy for a second, seeing as he was helpless, he did not care of his presence. He only cared about the food that was in the Teen’s hands. Reluctantly getting closer, he opened his toothless mouth. “Huh? Toothless? I could’ve sworn you had-“ Hiccup was interrupted by the dragon protracting its teeth and grabbing the fish. “Teeth.” He finished in a slightly shaken manner while the dragon licked his lips.

Raseri tilted his head sniffing for more as the child protested. Backed up into a rock, Hiccup felt something slobbery drop in his lap. The dragon had regurgitated its food. Raseri tried to hide his smirk, If they were going to make peace, they were going to do it the dragon way. He had done this a few times to dragons, to show them he did not mean harm. In order for it to be complete, however, the person they offered peace to, had to eat the rest in order to offer it back. This was a test.

Sitting on his haunches, Raseri awaited him to understand. Tired of waiting, he looked down at the fish, gesturing to it. The boy finally got the message and gave the dragon a look as if to ask, ’Do I have to?’ Evidentially, the answer was yes. Hiccup dared himself to take a bite, but didn’t swallow until the dragon urged him to. Raseri was astonished that a human actually wanted peace. He paused as he watched the sides of the boy’s mouth lift. What was that feeling in his chest, when the child looked at him like that? Could it possibly be a human sign of peace? The dragon tried his best to smile also, hoping that he had done it right. As soon as the human moved, Raseri took off clumsily, not trusting him completely. Peace or not, he didn’t like humans.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

Awesome!

*claps*

Great start on your fanfic! ;)

NFDan96
The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

That was an awesome read! Can't wait for more of your stories. :D
<----------- This should never fail to make you smile. :)

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

This is amaaazing! (I quote that way too much! xP) Anyway, great story, and I can't wait to read more!
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

cometotheberkside
03 Jun 2014, 01:05
Awesome!

*claps*

Great start on your fanfic! ;)
Why thank you :3 I tried to do Toothless' view so it wouldn't be just like reading a book version of the movie DX
NFDan96
03 Jun 2014, 03:30
That was an awesome read! Can't wait for more of your stories. :D
Thanks! :D I'm very glad you enjoyed it
AuroraBorealis
03 Jun 2014, 06:23
This is amaaazing! (I quote that way too much! xP) Anyway, great story, and I can't wait to read more!
We dragon fans need to quote or we fall victim to death. I understand. Thanks by the way X'D hopefully the next chapters will be ok. Is it sad I'm laughing at my own joke that I have planned…

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Moar? Pwease?
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

That was totally wicked!

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

WasBornCrazy
03 Jun 2014, 11:19
Moar? Pwease?
XD this. Took. Me. Four. Days. To. Write. Be. Patientttttt
Freyja
03 Jun 2014, 11:56
That was totally wicked!

I got the quote before I even saw the GIF X'D and thank you

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

Your welcome :D

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

Artsy update:

Edited cover art