Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Imaginary Friend, a short fanfic.
Topic Started: 20 Apr 2014, 10:51 (2689 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Imaginary Friend
~

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third woke up with a slow yawn. Then shivered from the cold icy temperature of Berk.
It took all his guts to get out of bed in the harsh cold every morning. He would never be used to the rush of icy cold breeze chilling his shoulders when he got out of bed.

The boy wasn't at all what you might expect from a Viking hero. As simple and as easily over looked as he was, the ginger was the son of a chief.

Stretching over, he reached for the Ticking Thing, The Compass like contraption he stole from Norbert a few months ago. Technically it belonged to him, for it used to be his great great grandfather's. Nonetheless he still felt guilt in stealing it back.

Picking the ticking thing up, he noticed the time. His eyes widened with realization that he had woken up too late. Another day late for the Pirate Training Program.

"Oh gosh, Gobber's gonna be mad...", He muttered to himself over and over. The ginger quickly got himself dressed for the day and ran outside. He suddenly felt a cold rush to his face. This wasn't a normal chill from the breeze.... Someone hit him with a snowball.

"Ow!.... Hello?....",He looked around suspiciously. No one. Anywhere. All that was seen was snow on the usually green covered earth. He shrugged it off and kept walking but quickly got hit again.

"Who's doing that?!..." Hiccup asked, irritated, as a small chuckle was heard in response.
Hiccup gave an annoyed groan and muttered

"Snotlout..." before continuing to walk. Someone muttered something under their breath. The boy stopped and looked over his shoulder, suspiciously.

There was something there. A staff... A curved staff sticking out from a pile of snow. He slowly approached the snow mound when a boy older than him jumped out and scared him. Hiccup let out a small, unexpected scream then looked up at the boy.

He wasn't a viking, that was obvious. He wore a long sleeved blue hoodie and brown pants. Oddly, he also had snowy, white hair.
"Who are you?..."

~

"Wait, you can see me?" The mysterious boy asked, almost amazed as he ignored Hiccup's question.

"Why wouldn't I be able to see you?", asked The ginger, confused. The boy continued to ignore him and kept talking.

"Name's Jack.", he smiled. "Jack Frost." He added.

"Nice to meet you... I'm Hiccup.." The ginger said slowly, still a little hesitant. Jack looked at him with laughing eyes.

"Hiccup?" He stifled a small laugh at the odd name, which made Hiccup a little annoyed.

"Yes, Hiccup" he answered coldly. Jack laughed again but then stopped deciding if he wanted to make a friend,he should probably stop irritating the small boy.

Toothless, the ginger's hunting dragon, crawled onto Hiccup's shoulder. The dragon looked up at Jack, yellow cat eyes meeting icy blue.

"Who's that?.. And WHAT is it??" Hiccup chuckled slightly at his shock. "His name is Toothless, He's my dragon."

"Dragon?..."

"You've never heard of Dragons?"

They soon began talking and quickly became friends. Although Jack still liked to pick on the small, red haired, freckled boy. It wasn't the same as Snotlout, who just down right hated him. No, it was just jokes to him, just fun and games.

Hiccup honestly didn't mind it and actually joined in on a couple of occasions.
After awhile Hiccup asked if Jack wanted to meet his friends. Jack agreed and they started walking towards the village.

Hiccup kept getting odd looks, unbeknownst to him that Jack was invisible to everyone else.
They started thinking he was partially insane, talking to himself.

But didn't they think that already? Soon Hiccup ran into Snotlout, his unpleasant cousin.

Snotlout eyes him from a distance wondering why in the world he was talking to himself.

"What are you doing twerp??" He asked behind them as Hiccup froze in partial fear.

"Just talking to Jack." He answered oblivious that only he could see Jack.

"Who, in the Archipelago, is Jack??"

"Oh, Jack's the friend I made today." Hiccup answered smiling then gestured to The frost spirit.

"No one's there ,Doofus."

"Of course he's there... He's right in front of you."
Snotlout looked at Hiccup like he was insane then started laughing.

"This is too good, Hiccup the Useless has an imaginary friend cause he can't get one of his own!" Snotlout laughed some more as Hiccup thought.
His first thought was Snotlout was just joking to be mean but then he started thinking maybe, just maybe, he was this desperate for a friend.
What if Jack wasn't real? What if he was insane?

He looked at Jack glaring at the boy as Snotlout left, laughing like a maniac. Jack had to be real... He just knew it....

~

"How come he couldn't see you?...."

"He doesn't believe." Jack said quietly with a touch of unmistakeable sadness.

Hiccup looked at him confused, wondering if he just completely made Jack up.

"I'm a winter spirit, if someone doesn't believe in such things then they don't see me." Hiccup looked up at him in pity.

"I see you..." Jack smiled and ruffled Hiccup's hair a smidge.

"Hey!" Hiccup smiled.

"You're a good friend. Ya know that?" Jack asked looking down at Hiccup. Hiccup smiled.

"Don't let Snotlout bother you you too much. He probably wouldn't believe in dragons if they weren't right up under his nose." Jack laughed at the boy's statement.

"Don't worry I won't"
The spirit smiled. Of course, eventually they parted ways, but they kept in touch.
Jack would sit on the windowsill and they would talk for a hour. Jack would then leave and Hiccup would go to sleep.

One day a few months later, Jack didn't come. Hiccup waited and waited. But jack never came. He missed his friend Jack, one of the few people who didn't judge him. He sighed and went to bed. Guessing he just had a bad day and he'd come tomorrow.

Days went by.

Weeks went by.

Months went by.

Still no word.

Jack didnt come back. Hiccup kept trying to hold on that he was real that he'd return, but he began to give up hope. Finally a year went by. He was forced to think it was just a dream.

Winter spirit? Yeah right.
But he wanted to believe it. It just no longer seemed likely.
Snotlout never forgot about his 'Imaginary Friend' and kept teasing him, constantly. He was starting to think maybe he did.

Maybe he was that stupid as Snotlout said. Maybe Jack was all a dream.

He finally just admitted it was to the boys who laughed and jeered. But deep in the back of his mind he still had a small bit of hope left… that somewhere Jack was having fun in an icy tundra, far far away from Berk.

One night, he heard a noise. A faint noise of a sleigh on the icy snow near his house.
Was he the only one who heard the strange sound?

No one even stirred.

Hiccup sat up and looked out his small window. There really was a sleigh. A bright red sleigh and in the sleigh was... "Jack!"

~

Jack was surrounded by four adults. One large rabbit was Known as the 'Easter Kangaroo'. Whatever a Kangaroo even was... Hiccup had no idea.

Secondly, a bird-like girl with feathers lined all over her body flittering with excitement.

A Russian warrior that kinda reminded Hiccup of his father slightly.

Lastly, a small man that looked almost entirely out of sand.
"I'm dreaming."

"Nah mate ya aren't dreamin but if ya want Sandy here can knock ya out.." Answered the Kangaroo in a thick Australian accent while gesturing to the little man made of sand.

It made Hiccup shiver a little not knowing whether he was kidding or dead serious. Jack laughed a little seeing the boy shiver.

"Don't worry the Kangaroo's insane."

"Imma bunny!!" The rabbit snapped.

"suuuuure you are."
Bunnymund snorted angrily at this. Hiccup just watched with interest.

"These are the guardians", smiled Jack. He was obviously really happy but where had he been for the past year? Oh well, He was here now and that's all that mattered.

"Guardians?" He asked confused.

"Yeah! Tooth, North, Sandy and you've already met the Kangaroo." Hiccup laughed a little under his breath as Bunnymund gave Jack the death look.

"Hic... I'm sorry I left. I was busy... With work." Jack looked down sadly. Hiccup looked him with his bright blue eyes and smiled.

"It's fine. You're here now!" He added cheerfully. The boy was ecstatic that Jack was back, and that he wasn't dreaming.

"Yeah but...."

"It'll be just like before!"

"That's… why I came..." Hiccup paused trying to take it in.

"W-what?..." He stuttered slightly. The ginger thought he had came back for good.

"I can't stay here...." He wasn't staying?.... What happened to all they've been through? All those talks at night, those thoughts, those dreams they shared? One of the only people who accepted Him, was going away?....

"You're leaving?..."

"I have to... With the guardians. They need me." Hiccup looked down. He would miss Jack but he knew from the sound of his voice he had to go.

"But what if I stop believing again?...." Jack's eyes widened. This boy reminded him too much of Jamie.

"Wait... Are you saying you don't believe in the stars when the sun comes up?"

"Well... No..."

"Well do you stop believing in the clouds when the stars come out?"

"No..."

Jack smiled.

"I'll always be there Hic...but for right now.... I'll be in here..." Jack pointed to his heart and Hiccup smiled back. He had a point. How could he forget one of his best friends?
It was stupid to even think about it.

"If you ever need me, please call..." Jack smiled down at the boy. The small boy he grew to like very much. Just like Jamie...
He was going to miss both of them very much.

"I will" Hiccup smiled back at the frost spirit. The boy who listened to him and understood him. He was gonna miss the way Jack picked on him.
Sure, it was annoying, sometimes. But overall he liked him as someone who he could count on.

Jack started walking away with all the guardians back on the sleigh.

"Jack!" Hiccup suddenly ran to him and hugged him tightly. Jack smiled and hugged him back.

No.

He wouldn't forget him.

He never would…

'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

Well done :p (now I might just like it because you picked my two favourite characters from each franchise :L) but it kept me interested :p I hope you do more like this :p
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Yes, book Hiccup! Thank you! *Sobs with joy*
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

There's like almost no HTTYD book fanfiction.... It's. Killing. Me. And thanks for reading, guys :)

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

I'm assuming this is the book Hiccup, considering Toothless climbed onto Hiccup's shoulder.

It was great, really enjoyed it :D

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

I know!!!! I like book Hiccup better anyway! If it doesn't bother you, please do another one!

AND THERE IS
[spoiler]NO HIJACK!!![/spoiler][/big]

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

AuroraBorealis
22 Apr 2014, 01:56
I know!!!! I like book Hiccup better anyway! If it doesn't bother you, please do another one!

AND THERE IS
[spoiler]NO HIJACK!!![/spoiler][/big][/big]
Nope, none! Just adorable friendships here! OMG you're the first person that I know that has said they like Book Hic better. {besides me. Eheh} I love both of them but Book Hic is just... Well, more like me for one. I've always been the quiet little outcast that doesn't talk unless I know someone. So I can relate to him a lot more.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

Shnuckles
22 Apr 2014, 01:37
I'm assuming this is the book Hiccup, considering Toothless climbed onto Hiccup's shoulder.

It was great, really enjoyed it :D

Yup! X3 I figured I'd make some book fanfiction since there really isn't any. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading :)

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Hope_and_Heir
22 Apr 2014, 02:05
AuroraBorealis
22 Apr 2014, 01:56

AND THERE IS
[spoiler]NO HIJACK!!![/spoiler][/big][/big][/big]
Nope, none! Just adorable friendships here! OMG you're the first person that I know that has said they like Book Hic better. {besides me. Eheh} I love both of them but Book Hic is just... Well, more like me for one. I've always been the quiet little outcast that doesn't talk unless I know someone. So I can relate to him a lot more.
Yeah, me too. So will you do any more book fics?

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

I defiantly will x3 I've been writing my own stories of my OCs(httyd and not) here lately but I need to write another book fic. Yes. Yes I do.