Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
On The Hunt
Topic Started: 04 Mar 2016, 19:16 (1339 Views)
Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 1
Sneaking About
Hiccup
I snuck into the dragon academy in the middle of the night.Big mistake.Apparently Stormfly was on watch,and there’s no sneaking past a Nadder when you have a saddlebag full of enough provisions for a week.So I was forced to wait until morning.
The next day,I was trying to go stealthily and quietly.
When I took off,I heard a sound behind me: the screech of a Deadly Nadder. Astrid and Stormfly.I should have known.I circled back and performed the evasive maneuvers for a Night Fury.Then I remembered I had taught them evasive maneuvers for all dragons and how to follow them.So I tried the dark cave.Always works.Once I’d finally lost them,I went back.On land,I was walking across the cliffside where I’d hidden my extreme danger supplies when I felt my arms being trapped behind my back and a hand across my mouth.It might have been terrifying,but there was only one person on Berk at the minute who would do that.
“Hi,Astrid,”I said.It came out muffled so it sounded like “I,atwid.”
“Where do you think you’re going?” She demanded.
“What are you talking about?I’m not going anywhere,”I said,trying to sound innocent.It obviously didn’t work.
“You know what I’m talking about,”She said.“You’ve been avoiding us-all of us-for two days straight.I can tell you’re trying to sneak off somewhere.So spill.”
She took her axe out and spun the blade toward me.
“What are you looking for this time?We can help find it.”
Despite the fact she was holding an axe at my throat,she actually sounded like she cared.I guess it was partially true what she said- ‘It’s not violence,it’s communication’-but only partially.And I mean it.
“Who,me? I’m not looking for anything.” This was a total lie,and Astrid could tell.
“I know you,Hiccup.This may have fooled the other riders but it’s not going to work on me.Start talking.”
The thing that sucked?She was absolutely,completely,totally RIGHT.
“Um,uh,well…” I started to say.I backed toward the edge of the cliff.
“Oh come on,Hiccup.I know you’re going to tell me.So why don’t you save us both the time,and-”
I jumped off the cliff.
Astrid ran to the side of the cliff. “Have you gone crazy?!”
I just grinned.Then I curled into a ball.This was something Toothless had taught me.He caught me on his wingtip and I rolled on to his back.Then he flew into the tiny crack.All this happened in less than thirty seconds.
The next minute we were flying through the darkness. Suddenly there was a faint glow.I slowed Toothless to a glide and for a minute we just hovered there admiring the massive celestial bronze sliding doors and locks.I’d asked for some of this in advance from Percy and Leo,who’d been more than happy to help.Leo had also added a few ‘Valdezinated’ designs he assured wouldn’t kill anybody.(He’d also added the word hopefully).
A small square panel slid up.“Password?”
I pressed a hidden button on its side,which was a test in itself.A keyboard sprang out.I typed in the word ‘Snoggletog’.A hidden eye scanner popped up.I wondered just how much Leo had Valdezinated these designs.Apparently demigods went through a lot of trouble to keep things hidden.
I let it scan my left eye.It beeped. “Approved.Haddock,Hiccup. Viking.Island:Berk.Status:Chief’s son.Titles:Dragon trainer.”I winced.I preferred not to be shown in that light.
The doors slid open.I entered and packed the things I would need:compass, food,arrows for the shieldoomerang,etc.Then we flew through the narrow hidden passage where we could finally explore without interference.
Free at last.
(And once again feedback would be appreciated)
Sister in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 2
Search Party
Astrid
I stared at the cliffside where Hiccup had been three seconds ago.Was he out of his mind? He’d just jumped off,landed on Toothless, and disappeared to who-knows-where.I looked down again,trying to convince myself that Toothless was still circling down there.He wasn’t.
I ran down to the village and blew into the dragon-riders-only horn.Everyone else on Berk had been trained to ignore it.
First Fishlegs came.Meatlug,his dragon,looked at Stormfly like “I don’t know why the heck we’re here,but I’ll follow the rest of the group”.She then lay down and started to doze off.
Three seconds later a Hideous Zippleback burst through the gate.Meatlug looked up like “Can’t a Gronckle get some rest?”but buzzed off to her chosen corner spot anyway.
Then a Monstrous Nightmare circled above the arena before clumsily stumbling into the academy. I groaned.My day was officially horrible.
Some days I wished Snotlout would just disappear.I knew we all wished that except his parents. Maybe even they did, too. But I had to live with what I had,good or bad.
“Where’s Hiccup?”Snotlout asked.He had a good point there.The one I wanted to get to.
“Hiccup ditched us on a secret mission.Again.”
Nobody seemed surprised.Someone needed to teach that boy trust.Then again,he’d been looked down by all Vikings-even Stoick,his own father-so he felt like he had to prove himself alone.And he got so used to it,he still did things alone.Thinking about it almost made me feel sorry for him.
Almost.But not quite.
“We need to go find Stoick and tell him we’re going on a quest.” I said.
So that’s what we did.
“All the dragon riders are going on a quest.”
One small problem: All the dragon riders weren’t here.
I think I solved that problem easily.
“Hiccup’s already ahead of us.We’re just supposed to catch up to him at a meeting spot. You know how over-eager he is.”
A Night Fury swooshed over our heads,going so fast the only thing left behind was a trail of smoke.
“See?” I said,watching Toothless,now a tiny dot on the horizon.
Seconds later everyone was in the sky,ready to begin the search.
Come on,Hiccup.Show us what you’ve got.

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 3
The Trap
Hiccup
I scanned the horizon to see if anyone had been following me.I’d hoped to fly over Berk unseen,but Astrid had been right under Toothless when we did.The rest of the riders were probably right behind me.
I looked again.Yep.Four black dots heading away from Berk.I decided it would be safer in the clouds.
It totally wasn’t safer in the clouds.
For one,the fog made it hard to see.Second, because of the clouds it was impossible to see if anyone was sneaking up on me.Third,it was just plain creepy.
Then,of course,this had to happen.
I heard Astrid shout,“Okay,guys! We’ve searched everywhere here,but we still haven’t found him.”
Not very hard to guess who ‘him’ was.
For a few second I actually believed the tough,unshakeable,extremely stubborn Riders of Berk would give up,turn back,head home.
Then I thought:Of course they wouldn’t.They’re the Riders of Berk.Plus,they had Astrid leading them.
“But we won’t give up.We’re the Riders of Berk.We have to find that muttonhead before he gets himself killed.Let’s split up…..”
At some points I actually thought Astrid was plucking thoughts from my mind.
A few minutes later,after some dragon screeches and some, “Hey!That’s mine!(Guess who?)”’s, I hear this:
“All right,guys.These wild dragons are slowing us down.Let’s get into the clouds so they don’t see us.Also, it’ll be easier to sneak up on Hiccup.”
It was great leadership,and I would’ve been proud of Astrid except for the fact that they were hunting me down while I was in the place they were going.Only one option,then.I nudged Toothless,who dove out of the clouds.
With extremely bad timing,it turned out.
We streaked down right in front of the riders as they went into the cloud.
Oops.
“Evasive maneuvers,bud!”I shouted to Toothless.He almost looked as panicked as I was.
We entered yet another cave.Old,but it works.We heard the riders outside: “Where is he?”
“Not again!”
“So...he’s not here.”
“Yeah!We got all worked up for nothing?!People these days….”
“When can we go back?I’m hungry and cold and tired.”
Finally the voices faded out.They must have been going farther away.
We walked slowly out of the cave.We would be walking for a while,as they were going into the sky
Or so I thought.
When we walked into a clearing,I heard the screech of a Deadly Nadder,and then a whispered, “Quiet,Stormfly.We can’t let him see us.”
I glanced up.Nobody was above us,circling or dive bombing.
So that could only mean……
The riders and their dragons emerged from the trees,surrounding me and Toothless.
The glade was a trap.And we had fallen right into it.

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 4
Cornered And Escaped
Astrid
I would never forget the look of surprise and terror on Hiccup’s face as we closed in on him like a pack of wild dragons.We walked like it was completely normal for us to be cornering him,as if we did it often-which,of course,we did.
The first to speak was,surprisingly,Hiccup.
“What are you guys doing out here?”
I surprised everyone-even myself!-by saying,“We have questions,and you’re the only one who can tell us the answers.” I paused and brought out my axe to emphasize the words.“Let’s start with why you’re trying to avoid us and sneak off Berk.”I spun my axe toward him.
Hiccup backed up.Since Snotlout and the twins were no longer behind him,he had a free way to run out.I backed him into a patch of trees so he wouldn’t be able to do that.He made a few hand signals that together said sweep grass with seagulls and sprint to fly.What did that mean,and who was he signaling to?
Too late,I realized my mistake.
Toothless had snuck behind us,so he could clearly see the hand signals.He immediately swept us off our feet with his tail,roared,then ran over to Hiccup,who climbed on to his back.I turned to jump on Stormfly,then realized Toothless had roared so loudly that the dragons were all spooked, so they were flying to random areas of the forest.By the time we’d tracked down our dragons,Toothless was a faint black dot on the horizon.
We wouldn’t give up,though.We flew in the general direction that they had gone in until it was almost night.We would have to go back to berk.
When we did come back,Stoick was waiting for us.
“I had a feeling that you would come back like this.”
“Like what?” I asked.
“Looking beaten up.Worn out.Covered in red marks and bruises that look like Night Fury tail prints.” He looked each of us in the eyes,stopping at me.“Let me guess.Hiccup ran away to find something and you’re all looking for him while he’s trying to avoid you.”
I had to admit,that pretty much summed up our entire day.
Our silence was answer enough to Stoick.
“Thought so.Everyone get some rest.You’re going to be flying all day,with enough supplies for ten days.Then come back to Berk.No luck,you decide whether to keep going or stay.”
That did sound pretty good.
In the morning,we were all ready to go.We soared into the sky in perfect formation.If I didn’t know better,I’d have said my desperation was rubbing off on the group.But the twins and Snotlout were still the same.Out of all the riders,only Fishlegs seemed concerned about the moron.I was furious. Snotlout and the twins…..well,they couldn’t care less.
We landed on the island next to the one we were on yesterday,now in my head called Catch Hiccup Fail 1 island.But in reality,it was Snaptrapper island.We would be searching Raven’s Nest island,or Catch Hiccup Try 2 island
“Okay,guys,we’ll split up and search different areas of Ca-Raven’s Nest island.If you find anything,do your dragon call.
We searched for hours,but found nothing.
“Okay.Moving on to Odin’s Finger island….”
If this was how the rest of our search would go,it would be a long ten days.
(Sorry about the sudden onslaught of chapters. I worked on this for a while before my sister pointed out "Hey, you should really post this on the Grapevine." The next few chapters won't be as fast)

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 5
Take No Chances
Hiccup
I looked behind me for the ten hundredth time.After the fiasco on Snaptrapper island,I wasn’t taking any more chances.
Good.Nothing.
But where were the rest of the Riders?They had gone back to Berk at night,but I didn’t see them since then.It was kind of scary.Had the Riders of Berk actually given up?Was all that training for nothing?Even though I was trying to avoid them,I had to restrain myself from flying over and telling them not to just give up like that.
No,they wouldn’t give up this easily,especially not with Astrid leading them.
I checked again.There they were-at Thor’s Wrath island.Dangerously close to where I was,but if I took flight they would notice me.
Wait-their route through the islands led away from me.They were now on Changewing island.I could hear Fishlegs warning the other riders about the dangers of it from this far back.
I calculated their path.If they kept moving in the same direction,it would take them at least one day to reach this island.
“Let’s go that way,bud,”I said to Toothless.
He grumbled in agreement.
We flew that way for a few days or so. At every island I would check for the other Riders or what I was looking for. I found neither.
At the same time, I imagined the others were getting extremely irritated. They’d been chasing their prey (Me!) for 15 days now. They weren’t going to give up, but they were getting angrier.
Where did they go during those days? Toothless and I camped out somewhere every night, so did they as well? If the expedition wasn’t slowed from the minute it started, it might’ve taken 3 days at most and I could’ve gone and explained everything to calm the Riders down. Nope. Instead they go and chase me throughout my entire quest.
Wait...could it be possible that they’d told my dad? This was going to be even harder with a Thunderdrum on our tail. Then again, Dad did have his “Chiefing Duties”, so he probably wasn’t going to follow me on this quest.
It made sense for them to have told him. Then they’d have a place to stop and rest-their base of operations. On Berk. That kind of hurt, but I shrugged it off. They were making this hunt official. So would I.
I decided that we would go on foot. The Riders still had a long way to catch up to me, and I would be able to scour this island thoroughly. So-
Wait.
What. Was. That?
It sounded like the distinct screech of…
Stormfly.

Zira Shadow
Skrill

WARNING
For all of those people who haven't read The Heroes of Olympus series, this chapter will make very little sense. Also, please do not hate Leo, he is just teasing. :P For me, this is my best chapter yet.
Read at your own risk. You have been warned.

Chapter 6
What The Hades?
Percy Jackson
I was chatting (read:arguing) with Annabeth onboard the Argo II when there was a sudden gust of cold air. Then another one. And another. They were intensely cold, nothing like I’d ever experienced anywhere before.
Except for....
“Berk,” I said out loud.
Everyone stared at me.
“Say what, now?” asked Piper. She, Jason, Leo, Coach Hedge, and the Romans had never been to Berk before, so they were confused.
I filled them in as fast as I could. When I was finished, they all looked at me like I was crazy.
Annabeth scoffed. “The only way I’ll ever believe we’re in the Archipelago, in Viking times, is if Hiccup comes running through here with Toothless behind him and Astrid and Stormfly chasing him from the sky.”
Just at that moment, a small green-and-brown blur came darting from tree to tree, followed by a long black creature moving low against the ground and another blue-and-yellow streak from the sky.
Annabeth stared at them, watching them make their way through the forest.
“So?” I prompted. She opened and closed her mouth.
Hiccup and Toothless halted, then shot up into the air behind Astrid and Stormfly, leaving them to continue searching the forest. Annabeth raised an eyebrow.
“Smart boy.”
Astrid and Stormfly flapped around for a little while, but eventually glided off. I wondered where the rest of the riders were, then wondered why I was wondering. I don’t wonder. I just ask Annabeth. So I did.
“So, any idea where the rest of ‘em are?”
“There are more?” asked Piper incredulously.
“How can they survive in this climate?”Jason inquired.
“Why are there dragons?”said Leo.
“And do we get to kill them?”added Coach Hedge, just a bit too enthusiastically.
Frank looked like he was struggling to pull something from his memory. “I remember this! It was in a movie or something… Wait… I think…It was called...How to Train Your Dragon!” He finished triumphantly.
Leo looked at him. “You watched that thing?”
“It was a really good movie!” Frank said defensively. “I wonder if the next one’s come out….”
Hazel blinked. “So..you’re saying we’re in the movie?”
“Well, sort of,” I explained. “We’re not acting it out, or being, like, the demigod photobombers or anything. We’re in the world that the movie created.”
“So…” said Leo thoughtfully, “You’ve met the people in the movie? Like, the actual characters and not just the actors?”
“Yeah,” Annabeth interjected. “They’re awesome. And it’s an animated movie, so there aren’t actors.”
“So there are just voice actors and actresses. But they got the voices pretty accurate.” I added. “And, Annabeth,”I said, turning to her, “They were all awesome? Like, the twins and Snotlout as well?”
She glared at me. “You know what I mean, Percy.”
I did, but it was fun angering her. Well, at first. It wasn’t fun when she made your day a living Tartarus for that one comment, but it was fun at first.
A sudden thump on the deck draws our attention. A blue-and-yellow Deadly Nadder is standing there, with her rider on her back. Leo screams and jumps back in surprise.
Astrid Hofferson has landed.

To read about the Demigods' trip to Berk, please read How to Train a Half-Blood (Another word for demigod), which I have not posted or finished yet.

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Chapter 7
A Ship made of Bronze
Astrid

I circle the forest once, twice, three times, but I still find no trace of Hiccup. That stupid son of a half troll rat-eating munge bucket got away again.
Then, below me, I spot something I thought I wouldn’t ever see again-the faint glow of Celestial Bronze.
I looked down. It looked like..a...ship?
An entire ship made of Celestial Bronze?
How was that even possible?
Only one way to find out, I thought. I nudge Stormfly down, and we land on the deck.
Someone screams. I locate the noise to a scrawny, charcoal-streaked boy who had just dropped some sort of contraption.
Leo.
I look around the ship, There’s Percy and Annabeth, but Grover’s not here. Then there was that girl who freaked out when we contacted them-Piper? The half-human dude who threatened to kill them for disappearing-Coach Hedge. The blond guy who seemed like the leader in the conversation-Jason. The girl who rode the big horse, Hazel, and the guy who was always second-guessing himself, Frank.
“Uh...hi, Astrid,” says Percy.
“Hi,” I answer. “Why are you here?”
Annabeth frowns. “Here? You mean we’re actually back on Berk?”
“Not Berk, actually. You’re on Sky Serpent island, an island pretty far from Berk. So if you want to go back to-”
“Whoa, what?” asked Percy. “If this is so far from Berk, then why are you out here?”
“Oh. Right. That’s why I’m on your ship. Impressive work on the building, by the way.” I nod to Leo, who by now has stood up and is tinkering with his thing-A golden ruby-encrusted sphere that he seemed to carry everywhere-again.
“Anyway, the story goes like this. A few days ago, about a week or so, Hiccup-”
I heard Annabeth groan and mutter, “What now, Hiccup?” under her breath.
I decided to ignore this for now.
“-Snuck off Berk to find something, though he was avoiding all the Riders at the time. Now we’re looking for him, then we can properly interrogate him and get him through another crazy idea alive.”
So,” I stared everyone down with what Hiccup teasingly called “The Eyes of Doom”.
“What I’m saying is that we need your help. Have you seen Hiccup and/or Toothless recently, and if so, where?”
“Nope,” Percy said instantly. “We didn’t see them, but we can help you find them. How’s that?”
Annabeth blinked. Percy blinked back, more pointedly.
“Okay, that works!” I agreed. “Your friends can take the ship, and one of them can take Rattle…”
“Um.” Percy interjected. “Then what are we going to do?”
My eyes gleamed. I whistled loudly, and a few minutes later, the other Riders appeared, holding on to some leashes. Stormwing, PJ, and Rattle roared in happiness.
“Isn’t it obvious? You’re flying dragons.”

...Soooo, is anyone still reading this or should I stop posting?
PS If I get no replies within 15 days I'll take that as a no. Thanks! :potato: :potato:

Team Astrid
Deadly Nadder

Post chapter 8! Norse Nerd, will you read it? (Because your signature has TOA in it)
I know I will