Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
To Boldly Flee
Topic Started: 30 Mar 2015, 12:56 (8274 Views)
Mccallistair
Gronckle

Chapter 14 is now up. 10,000 words in 5 days, how is it?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Greyliminator
Small home repairs viking

Enjoyed reading it, as per usual! One thing confused me a bit, which was the Frankish dudes speaking French, whilst *I think* you referred to it as Frankish. Frankish is however the original language of the Germanic tribe, and is also known as Old Low Franconian, or by a name that is probably more familiar: Old Dutch.

I get why they speak French, as Old French was a thing, too. But I feel that calling it Frankish isn't right. To be honest, I can't find it in the text so I may be mistaken. It's just a little side note.

Uiteraard wens ik je een fijne dag verder.
Um.. Hi?

Mccallistair
Gronckle

I appreciate the thought!

I am more so referring to them as Franks for the sake of not constantly saying "French" as we are dealing with a nation that is not yet exactly "France." At the same time I simply find using French to be an easier fill in Frankish since I don't want people who wish to translate having to scour the web looking for the exact language translator for a much more obscure language whereas French is much easier. Same reason that the Irish that featured in the chapters in Ireland and on the Isle of Man is modern Gaelic, whereas historically I believe it would have been Old/ maybe middle Gaelic. While yes perhaps not the most actuate from a linguistic view, I'm more so going for readability than total accuracy. While I myself do love history, there are few instances where I am willing to take creative license with things.

Glad you liked the chapter though and I appreciate the intelligent thought. Next chapter will be up Sunday as is standard.

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

I'm liking it so far. :D
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

Greyliminator

Mccallistair
31 Mar 2015, 23:13
I appreciate the thought!

I am more so referring to them as Franks for the sake of not constantly saying "French" as we are dealing with a nation that is not yet exactly "France." At the same time I simply find using French to be an easier fill in Frankish since I don't want people who wish to translate having to scour the web looking for the exact language translator for a much more obscure language whereas French is much easier. Same reason that the Irish that featured in the chapters in Ireland and on the Isle of Man is modern Gaelic, whereas historically I believe it would have been Old/ maybe middle Gaelic. While yes perhaps not the most actuate from a linguistic view, I'm more so going for readability than total accuracy. While I myself do love history, there are few instances where I am willing to take creative license with things.
Makes sense. I thought that by your reasoning Old Frankish (=Old Dutch) could be modern Dutch just like how you turned Old Gaelic into Modern Gaelic. I wouldn't say Dutch is an obscure language, though. But then I remembered from earlier that you speak French and Gaelic, so that is way more practical I guess. I wonder how you are going to do that with the people from the Rusland (which by the way is the actual name of
Russia in.... Dutch. Srry.). Or do you happen to speak Russian as well? :P

Um.. Hi?

Greyliminator

Bump! When or what time can we fellow vikings expect the next chapter to be up?
Um.. Hi?

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Due to all the chaos involving Easter and schoolwork etc. it will probably be up tomorrow night instead of the standard Sunday upload, I apologize for the wait but life alas does exist for both myself and my Beta.

And no, I don't speak Russian. :P

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Chapter 15 is finally going up in an hour or so, just a heads up.

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Chapter 16 is now up for your reading pleasure.

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Chapter 17 up for those who care.