Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
To Boldly Flee
Topic Started: 26 Jan 2015, 19:07 (7869 Views)
Mccallistair
Gronckle

Hello all.

I have begun work on my new story "To Boldly Flee", a take on the 'Hiccup runs away' AU, only this time featuring an "accidently" kidnapped Astrid in tow. Figured I'd share it here and ask for any feedback or thoughts. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11000580/1/To-Boldly-Flee
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pillow

[i]Chief of the Illuminati
[/i]

Interesting. From what I've seen, it's a pretty decent piece of writing. When I'm less busy, I'll read through more in depth.
Spoiler: click to toggle

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

I left a review on FanFiction. Really liked it to sum up!

Just a random question; was the title inspired by the Nostalgia Critic special also called "To Boldly Flee"? I'm just curios because the title is what dragged me to give this a shot.

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Actually....yeah. I originally had the working title "An Accidental Odyssey", but I found it did not flow very well and was a bit difficult to say. Then I remembered "To Boldly Flee" and after seeing that the title was not taken within the fandom I decided to settle on that. Thanks for the review, I'll go check it out now.

Greyliminator
Small home repairs viking

I really like how you altered the story, but still make references at things that happened in the 'real' httyd. Your writing style is very good and I can really imagine the conversations that the characters have (even the talking toothless thing xD)

However, the constant use of "the Hel" keeps throwing me off the story. Everytime I read it it feels a bit like a slap in the face of the story. Now I know Hel is a norse god but I just can't hear anyone in HTTYD really swear in this way if, at all. That, and you sometimes lack commas in direct conversations (in the text between the "s). But otherwise, it's written very well and it's one of the few fanfictions that I'm willing to read. Keep it up!
Um.. Hi?

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Yeah...The use of Hel may be a bad habit, but only because it allows me an easily understandable means of Vikings expressing frustration. In terms of commas, I've been trying to break out of my habit of using an insane amount of Oxford commas, and for that reason I've found myself constantly removing them from the story with a fine toothed comb. I'll take your advice to heart though and see what I can do.

Chapter 4 should be up very late tonight or if not then tomorrow afternoon. Hope you enjoy and happy reading.

Greyliminator

Really enjoyed reading chapter 4, can't wait till 5 comes out!
Um.. Hi?

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Thanks! I'm really rather proud of 4 myself, had a blast with it. 5 Should be up later tonight or early tomorrow (depending on how much I care considering the Superbowl exists.) Glad you like it!

Mccallistair
Gronckle

Chapter 6 is up for those who care.

Greyliminator

Yesh! Gonna read it in a minute! :)
Um.. Hi?