Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The Headcanons Public Library
Topic Started: 18 Jun 2021, 13:08 (11245 Views)
Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Now I already posted a thread like this on the School of Dragons forum and got some interesting responses, but now I want your contributions, fellow Grapeviners! If you have HTTYD headcanons you want to share, please do so! The original idea was just to gather headcanons about how dragons might work, but HCs about any part of the franchise are welcome.

I'm not going to copy my entire rules list here, but it basically boils down to "Be polite, respect your fellow fans, and give credit unless the person whose headcanon you want to use has said you can use it without."

Let's compile an awesome library, everyone! :D
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Headcanon: Monstrous Nightmare territorial disputes
(Wild) Monstrous Nightmares settle territorial disputes as follows: The one which does not own the territory in question uses his fire to mark a ring around it, then, as loudly as possible, roars a challenge against the one who claims it. More often than not, this 'ceremony' of sorts takes place at night. Should he receive no response (a very rare occurrence), the territory defaults to him. However, in the vastly more likely event that the original claimant accepts the challenge (signified by a challenging roar of his own), it is single combat, either to the death, or until one submits and leaves. It is not uncommon for this contest of prowess to last multiple days.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Headcanon: Dragons' eyes
Don't ask for logical backing arguments for this, because I have none. :P All dragons' eyes actually emit a small amount of light. Especially noticeable in the Monstrous Nightmare, when the dragon is about to breathe fire / use whatever its breath weapon is, its eyes briefly glow brighter; and when it's tired, they glow less brightly (and at least in the Monstrous Nightmare's case, go from a bright yellow glow at full wakefulness through orange and then decidedly a dull red as the dragon is about to drift off into sleep).

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Headcanon: Bewilderbeasts' ice breath
I know the official word on the Bewilderbeast's ice breath is "stored seawater", but I came up with an alternate explanation that's a lot cooler (pun not intended XD), and perhaps makes sense. Rather than using seawater, a Bewilderbeast's body synthesizes a chemical from its food that reacts extremely endothermically with air. (Perhaps nitrogen specifically?) This chemical is stored (much like other dragons' fuel) in some sort of air-tight bladder back of the throat. When the Bewilderbeast uses its "ice breath", this bladder is pressurized and the chemical is ejected at high velocity. Once exposed to the air, the endothermic reaction takes place, and the very humidity in the air, as well as possibly water produced by the reaction, is cooled far below freezing, resulting in ice.

This has some interesting implications. For instance, it means that if a Bewilderbeast is not eating well, it will be unable to produce much of a blast. It also means that if one were in a desert or somewhere like that, with zero humidity, the reaction would be unable to take place. Further, as it relies on a reaction with air, the ice blast cannot be used underwater. Also, if something happens and the orifice cannot close quickly enough, there is a chance that the reaction happens in the mouth, freezing tissue and ultimately suffocating the Bewilderbeast when the ice blocks its airway.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Huh, this thread is missing several of my headcanons that I've posted on the other forum. I suppose I stopped because I didn't want to have just a solid block of my headcanons all in one place. But I guess I'll post my newest one now, and perhaps slowly fill in the ones that aren't here with time.

Headcanon: Zippleback Family Relations
After mating, the task of raising the young falls to the female(s?) alone. The male(s?) leaves soon afterward, and has no part in the family. However, he will always be able to identify them by scent, and will not attack them. He may even defend them if they happen to cross paths in the wild.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Headcanon: Monstrous Nightmares' skin
Just slightly related to the HC about dragons' eyes, a Monstrous Nightmare's (and possibly other dragons', too) skin becomes noticeably hotter just before it breathes fire.

Team Pathetic Banner

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Headcanon: The Night Fury's skull
(This is basically disproven by things we can see in canon, but I'm going to post it regardless. Night Furies are OP anyway.)

Because Night Furies are (arguably) the most intelligent dragon, it stands to reason that their brains are quite large, relative to their body size. Thus, in order that their brains can fit in their heads, Night Furies' skulls are actually quite thin. This sadly makes them very susceptible to brain damage, especially as hatchlings, which is a contributing factor to their extreme rarity.

Team Pathetic Banner

Ruthie th Second
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Headcanon is that Snotlout STILL showers out in the rain with nothing but a bar of soap and will probably do so until the day he dies

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Ruthie th Second
03 Sep 2022, 05:39
Headcanon is that Snotlout STILL showers out in the rain with nothing but a bar of soap and will probably do so until the day he dies
Headcanon accepted. XD XD

Headcanon: Monstrous Nightmares and Water
(Again, this seems to be disproven by canon, but I'm still posting it.)

Monstrous Nightmares absolutely despise large amounts of water. This is for two reasons. First, when you look at how they are built, you can see that their body structure is not at all one that facilitates swimming. I'd even go so far as to further headcanon that they are actually incapable of truly swimming, having to rely on momentum gathered in a dive to propel them through the water and then back above the surface, where they can then resume flight. Secondly, for the simple reason that fire and water cannot mix. Monstrous Nightmares, as about the most fire-based creatures in the entire world, would logically avoid water as much as possible.

Team Pathetic Banner

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Dragonrider's Fury
03 Sep 2022, 12:44
Ruthie th Second
03 Sep 2022, 05:39
Headcanon accepted. XD XD
Headcanon ABSOLUTELY accepted
Clouds of corn <3