Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Httyd: Score Theme Catalog [now Complete]
Topic Started: 09 Jun 2014, 20:23 (2427 Views)
chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

TheCube42
09 Jun 2014, 20:10
They come from a source I don't really know of and probably can't really talk about, though I'm sure I could have reconstructed about 70% of the score by ear (because that's how I roll). Hence, my disclaimers and addition of watermark (following the protocol for perusal scores by Schott music).

It's also funny that there are some discrepancies between the score and the final recording, but I decided not to comment on those since it goes a bit too deep for listeners.
I see. What's your musical background? I haven't seen you mention any particular instruments. I'm a classical guitar player but my theory background is quite lacking. That doesn't stop me from arranging music, but it's always an uphill battle.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

I am a violinist/violist (majoring in viola performance next year) with some basic keyboard skills. Score reading is something I picked up a couple years ago when I started getting more interested in things like conducting, etc. and now I have a couple of elephantine scores (Rite of Spring, The Planets) in my collection for my sadistic enjoyment.

I'm not really at the top level when it comes to harmonic analysis, etc. but I can see modulations, etc. pretty quickly thanks to some training. What probably helped the most is my ability to remember sounds for a long time, since I can use both sound and the notes on the page to know what's going on in the music.

The key to becoming better at theory, I think, is simply to become a more well-rounded musician in terms of things like clef reading, ear training, etc. A thorough ear training really helps you recognize chord qualities and specific intervals within passages, etc.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

This is pretty cool except I don't understand what it means so...

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

HideousZippleback
10 Jun 2014, 01:10
This is pretty cool except I don't understand what it means so...
There are multiple levels to understanding what I have done.

For those with little Western musical training, all you need to look at are: Theme names, track titles, and timestamps. Play the track at the written time mark, and you'll hear the theme. You can also play the entire album, following my "Presentation of Themes" as you go.

For those with moderate musical training (able to read music, but not necessarily with pro-level proficiency), I've included the conductor's score and marked the measure numbers, with instruments listed, so you can follow along the score, noticing some extra details as you go.

For those with good score-reading skills, my work serves merely as a set of reference points, allowing independent observation/analysis. It just makes the job easier for those in the future who want to look at the score in an analytical way.
Σ (a sigma-ture)