Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
"What is Love?" - A HTTYD Analysis
Topic Started: 14 Sep 2014, 08:12 (1444 Views)
Toothless123
Night Fury

I originally posted this on Toothless the Nightfury's blog, and I just thought I'd post it here too! You might have noticed that Toothless the Nightfury did an analysis too, which is what I posted the comment on, so check that out too! :D
I noticed some things that further supported your analysis; when Hiccup is confronting Drago, and he says, "All of this loss... And for what? To become unstoppable?" Drago responds by nodding his head sadly, gesturing to his dragons which are flying around. What I noticed was, that the way that he nodded his head, was in fake sadness. He pretends to be sorry for what he's done- and he's not. Hiccup knows this, but Drago's soldiers don't. That's why they follow him; they're under an illusion- just like you said in your analysis.
Another thing which I noticed was, (about to go into my own analysis here, now) Hiccup freed Toothless with the power of love. (There's more to it than that, as usertoothless has said in one of his other analyses; I believe it's called 'The Red Rage'. Go and check it out.) And Drago asked him, "How are you doing that...?" He's basically asking Hiccup, "What is love?" And this is the part which inspired me to write this analysis. To be twisted by evil so much, that you've forgotten what love is...wow.
Drago lost the ability to love, when his family was killed; because the only people he ever loved were gone, forever. So he had no reason to love anymore- only to hate. And he used that hate to make the dragons that took his ability to love, and his family, and his village, pay (and presumably, he made one of them into a cape...). Now, just think about this: if Toothless- who is the only dragon Hiccup has ever loved- were to die, who's to say he couldn't have turned into Drago, for the same reason that Drago changed from Hiccup- to essentially, Voldemort- because he has forgotten what love is?
Or Stoick. Stoick had been killed by Drago- and by doing this, he was "showing" Hiccup- in a fittingly twisted way- what it's like to lose someone you love. Toothless wouldn't have had to be the one to die- although this would have the biggest impact on Hiccup- it could have been anyone, anyone that Hiccup loved- indeed, Stoick- to push him down the path to darkness- and turn him into Drago. That is very scary, and terrifyingly realistic- which is yet another thing, in the list of many, that makes these films different, and amazing- to me.
And, thinking about this even more, I think I've uncovered another part of Drago's plan.
Drago was aiming to kill Stoick, because, as I've said before, the grief could twist Hiccup to the dark side (excuse the Star Wars reference/pun there. XD) And Hiccup would be weak and vulnerable. So, Drago would break him, into joining his cause- just like he did to the dragons. And then, with the greatest Dragon Master on his side, Drago really would become unstoppable.
If there is such a word to describe Drago- and his plan- as brilliantly evil, then I've just found it.
(This analysis of mine has given me an idea for a fanfic...so you might want to look out for it in the 'Stories' section of Berk's Grapevine, or on FanFiction, soon...)

I know this analysis would probably be too dark to actually have been in HTTYD 2 (I'm not saying that Dean wouldn't go there- he already killed off Stoick, after all- and besides, they might get into that level of darkness in HTTYD 3. And anyway, I like it when these films get dark! XD), but I think it'd be interesting to see Hiccup go to the dark side, in a kind of Anakin/Siduous sort of way. (Stop it with the Star Wars references! XD)
Let me know your thoughts on it! :D Also, check out Toothless the Nightfury's (also known as usertoothless) other analyses! :D
(This isn't my original analysis; I've edited it just a bit- but not much. :D )
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

Wow, this was really great! I've read some of his analysis before, and every time I do, I just love the whole franchise so much more. I certainly hope he keeps them coming. :)
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

Toothless123
Night Fury

RealHousewifeofBerk
14 Sep 2014, 22:38
Wow, this was really great! I've read some of his analysis before, and every time I do, I just love the whole franchise so much more. I certainly hope he keeps them coming. :)
Same! ;)

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

^that's pretty much all I came for xD
really good analysis anyways! I didn't notice the sad look on Drago's head when he nodded, but it makes a lot of sense!

chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

Hmm, it's a very intriguing idea, but I don't think Drago planned to kill Stoick. Drago set Toothless against Hiccup, so he was probably expecting Hiccup to die. Stoick arrived in time and took the bullet, which was just as tragic an outcome, though not the one he expected.

Toothless123
Night Fury

chimuelo
17 Sep 2014, 13:18
Hmm, it's a very intriguing idea, but I don't think Drago planned to kill Stoick. Drago set Toothless against Hiccup, so he was probably expecting Hiccup to die. Stoick arrived in time and took the bullet, which was just as tragic an outcome, though not the one he expected.
I get what you're saying. ;)