Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Toothless 3D model
Topic Started: 20 Sep 2014, 23:23 (1773 Views)
dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

Just seeking for help with rigging configuration, and little show off :P

Anyway, for those who knew about rigging phase i need help at feet, wings, and facial. I never do facial rig anyway. For the feet, should i positioned every joint in every edge loop? And i use the joint at the tip of the tail as the root joint, is good or bad?

3D model extracted from School of Dragons game assets. I don't use the model from Wild Skies, because the rig doesn't really have dynamic moves and confusing joint position.
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Woah :blink: How long did it take to make?!
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

dragons_ind

BerserkDragon
21 Sep 2014, 09:58
Woah :blink: How long did it take to make?!
I didn't make it, i just extract the mesh from the game assets. Except for rigging, i did it all. But if i want to make 3D Toothless mesh from scratch, maybe it would take 5 hours. My modeling skills are sucks :)
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

I'm haven't really dug deep into rigging especially for a quadruped character like toothless, but your rig should generally follow the path of the skeletal system.

For toothless feet, I don't think you need a bone at every edge loop. One for his paw/claw and then one for his forearm and then upper arm should be sufficient. The joint should be in the middle. If you have too many it becomes a pain to animate and position them.

Facial rigs are always impressively complex. To simplify it I think you should just rig his ears, jaw (of course) and then maybe corners of his mouth to give him the rough ability to smile. If your feeling up to it then maybe his snout, teeth and tongue as well but that would start to complicate things.

I'm a big advocate for starting simple and then once your comfortable progressively making it more complex.

dragons_ind

I positioned every joint on every edge loops for simplified it for skinning, since it's my hardest part in rigging process. For animating it, i have a plan to use IK Spline Tool, so i just draw a spline and configure it and the bones movement will follow that spline shape. It is hard to configure though.

But for skinning, it's my first time rigging quadrupeds, while i often rig biped characters. The problem is at his backbone joints, wings joints, and feet joints. It's hard to imagine how his skin will move if i manipulate one of his joint.

ggamer77
Hatchling

Looks pretty good so far. Yeah I dunno how easy rigging wings is.. :blink:
Though for his front legs I would use just 3 bones instead of the 6 you have here. (one for the paw, another for the forearm, and another for the upper arm.)
irc://irc.caffie.net/HTTYD
My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ggamer77

dragons_ind

Like i said, i use the other 3 joints just for skinning. I will setup it with IK Spline so just 3 joints will move.
Ahh, maybe wings looks easy, but not for me :P

BiggestToothlessFanEVER
Terrible Terror

dragons_ind
21 Sep 2014, 03:23

Anyway, for those who knew about rigging phase i need help at feet, wings, and facial. I never do facial rig anyway. For the feet, should i positioned every joint in every edge loop? And i use the joint at the tip of the tail as the root joint, is good or bad?

3D model extracted from School of Dragons game assets. I don't use the model from Wild Skies, because the rig doesn't really have dynamic moves and confusing joint position.
That looks great. I've been using Maya a lot and it takes time to learn but it's very expensive

dragons_ind

BiggestToothlessFanEVER
13 Oct 2014, 22:51
dragons_ind

That looks great. I've been using Maya a lot and it takes time to learn but it's very expensive
You can use the student version, just for non-commercial and training purposes. It's free, for 3 years, and i've read that it could be "renew" or something. Here, i use the pirated :( version, but just for training and have nothing to do with commercial purposes.

For something i didn't continue this :P Maybe because of mood, and after see this again i got the spirit again :P

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

dragons_ind
14 Oct 2014, 08:41
BiggestToothlessFanEVER
13 Oct 2014, 22:51
dragons_ind

You can use the student version, just for non-commercial and training purposes. It's free, for 3 years, and i've read that it could be "renew" or something. Here, i use the pirated :( version, but just for training and have nothing to do with commercial purposes.

For something i didn't continue this :P Maybe because of mood, and after see this again i got the spirit again :P
Hope to see the completed model :D