Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Httyd 2 Game
Topic Started: 19 Sep 2014, 19:21 (4256 Views)
CatsMeow
Gronckle

I'm not sure where to review the How to Train Your Dragon 2 video game, but I assume here is good.

I'm happy about this game, but it could be better. An update is going to be mad, and I see one thing was added as well. Where I believe Hiccup flys off Toothless, but you need to be near another dragon rider...this might be a glitch, but it made me press a button and I did so, resulting in that move.

The controls are a PAIN in the arse. Inverted? Yea. They should add other basic controls. They need to. Inverted is not how my brain thinks...and I did get used to it after 20 minutes of playing the game and I did enjoy it a lot but once you stop gaming for a week my skill goes to zero with controlling the dragon and it's rider.

Also, the menu. I saved my game and when I came back, it had me start all over again. I do not get that, and nor did my best friend. She quit playing it because she was frustrated after gaining gold in these events and all that.

Even if the save menu does work for you, they need to change it.
Maybe when it says "Quit" in the in-game option menu it should instead say 'Save and Quit" where you pick "Yes" or "No," it would work better.

I also think there should be save slots, where you can have another completely new game. It's just an opinion of mine, and isn't really necessary but I like the idea.

Another thing is the phrases. They need to add more! I'm sick of hearing the same stuff. :/
Also, when button you use to move around is good as is, but while flying it goes all berserk if you wanna look left or right, up and down.

Overall, I give this game a 4.1 out of 10 points.
It has a great potentatal, it was just made shitty with controls and whatnot.

I do hope they fix this in an update if they get enough complaints. I really do...

:huh:
"Go you must. No guest shall stay in one place for ever. Love will be lost if you sit too long at a friend's fire."

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pikey
Wow!

I can guarantee you this game was nothing more than a cash-in, it's lazy from almost all perspectives, from the mechanisms of the camera and controls all the way down to the sound work.

Just a word of warning; this is long, I really don't like this game for good reasons.

I could go on for hours about all aspects of this game that could've been marginally better, and I'm sorry to anyone who likes this game, but it's my opinion that it is garbage that deserves nothing more than an incinerator let alone the asking price of £30 (on Amazon may I add).

Ok, let's get this down first: the camera. In a word it is acceptable. For a flying game like it, it's passable, however, it is not without the classic free-will camera style that these games seem to have. This is nothing short of laziness, I'm sure you will have encountered a similar thing on many games, you're positioned close to a wall in third person, so the question is: where does the camera go?

It's a great question, but apparently, the game doesn't even know itself, and it's all too common in this kind of flying game to get too close to a wall for this to happen. Half the designed tracks meander around closed cave-y styles, so you would've thought any playtesters would quickly pick up the fact that the camera decides to flip and skew randomly trying to figure out what the best position is. In turn, your controls are also flipped and skewed whilst this happens, meaning that you're sure to cruise straight into the cliff or cave edge and screw your race up.

Next up on the list, that dive bomb. I don't really need to go too in depth with this trash, it's pure evil. Mastering it takes such a degree of effort that really you begin to question how any developer could consider it remotely passable. Difficulty is not an excuse here, bad controls and this kind of thing should not be part of a game's difficulty, so before you blam me saying it's all fine and dandy and that I suck, no. Bad controls does not make a good attempt at difficulty.

And whilst we're talking about awful controls leading to crashes, let's talk about those crashes shall we? Quite the lovely animation I should say, the generic disregard for any sort of realistic momentum is quite extraordinary, as well as a completely non-nonsensical kind of ragdoll thing going on. I don't know about you, but unless Hiccup dies the split second he falls off Toothless, he would not be acting like a limp teddy bear.

On top of that, these landings. I can't even describe to you very well what I mean, but in a good physics engine (and in real life), if an object drops and impacts on a surface, forces are applied to change the velocity of said object. Here's where we add more laziness points, in this game, object collisions look atrocious. You could say this is an overreaction, but the rebounds and collisions are so unbelievably lame and soft, crash Hiccup into a wall and you'll know what I mean, he sort of bounces softly off of the floor and walls. It doesn't look right in any way.

Then there's the sound effects, oh god did they not know how to handle limited speech lines. Here's what I'm getting at (on top of what you mentioned), lines and noises are repeated way, way, way too much. Here's the thing though, it's not as much the amount of phrases they have, no matter the quantity, you're always going to hear repeats. But this factor wouldn't be so bad if the lines weren't used every time an event occurs. Every time you do something like crash or succeed, a line is spoken. That's where the problem comes in, this results in the lines being used up after about 2 minutes. The devs failed to understand (or were *ahem* TOO LAZY) the idea of making it so sounds don't always play. Take a look at Gears of War for example, one-liners are present in multiplayer for characters on kills and taking damage, but, the reason this is different is because these lines are played a lot less and as a result; don't sound overused.

Now it's time for the big guns: the content, or should I say, the lack of any content.

This is appalling in every sense of the word. We're not just talking your average minigame fest here, not even that. Oh no, we can't put WORK into a licensed game!!!! Let's just shove a couple incredibly lame and not to mention completely unoriginal minigames. Not even any proper game here, nope, not one bit.

I have an example for you actually, take a good game into account here. Timesplitters 2. You might consider this unfair due to the different genres but I have a point. Timesplitters 2 HAD such a type of minigame fest, however, the difference was these were extras on top of an already solid game and multiplayer. Not to mention, there were a lot of these challenges.

Now, HTTYD 2: The Game is as if Timesplitters 2 was just the challenge mode, stripped down to about 20% of its original length and repeated over and over to fill disc space. Exaggerated? No, it really isn't. Oh, and what minigames do we have by the way?

Of course you have the racing, which is uh... flying through rings. Sounds a lot like Superman 64 BUT I will say, the AI and inclusion of powerups is quite nice. What isn't nice however is that the powerups are kind of limited and unbalanced at best. I'm not going into detail here, all I must say is 'Eels' (can you say: 'overpowered'?)

The sheep collecting is, again, Superman 64'd. Not a good game to be mimicking if you ask me, and it's pretty boring, there's really not much going on. Not much challenge other than that timer, and I wouldn't even consider that a challenge, that implies that there *might* be some kind of obstacle. Wouldn't that be interesting? Too bad that this is a licensed game and the word 'interesting' isn't quite so important to the studio developing the game.

What else we have... the shooting gallery thing. I literally still can't believe this even takes up a full slot of a minigame. Like really, that is bottom of the barrel pathetic. A fixed camera with a cursor moving around the screen. I can't even give you the words for this, not even a dynamic camera to spice things up a slight amount! In fact this minigame that represents about 20-25% of the whole game features less than the spaceship minigame from Banjo Tooie, which represented much less than even 2% of the game (and that was Nintendo 64).

Bottom line is, this game is nothing short of absolute laziness and cheapness. I can't get a clue as to why anyone might even see value for money in this total garbage. I'm not even going to complain about the graphics here as much as you'd expect, because it just shouts ugly so loud in your face you'd have to be a light-year away to not hear it. All I'm going to say is that the graphics look like they're from a launch title on the PS2, not late life Xbox 360. Unbelievable.

This game deserves all the bad reviews it gets and Little Orbit deserve to burn for this waste of time and money (and a perfectly awesome movie license). Well done.

May I remind you that Little Orbit also produced such a lovely wonder called Barbie's Dreamhouse Party. Yep. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound.

And no, How to Train Your Dragon 2 does not even get represented as a title correctly on Google, apparently their SEO department suck big ones too, all lowercase, does not exactly shout 'quality' to me.

NB: I'm not even going to give you a single emoticon either because I'm 100% dead serious about this game in every point, it's insane.

nightfury123
My auntie's dog might die...
:'(

I agree with everything that you've both said: unfortunately, this game is quite rubbish. :/ But there are a few points I'd like to add:

-A feature that could have been added would be the ability to travel to different islands. At least going to those would be even a little bit better than just flying around Berk all the time.
Heck, Hiccup "mapping the world" was an entire SCENE in the second film. I think this game ultimately suffers from a lack of continuity - and this opinion is only expanded on and supported in the second point.

-Having a button that could be pressed or something for Hiccup to skydive off Toothless. Link could jump off his Loftwing and fall through the air in the flying mode of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (which was the main reason I bought the game), and that's not even what he's known for doing that in the franchise - unlike Hiccup. My dad and I, and probably everyone else who was excited for this game - but were bitterly disappointed - thought that said feature was guaranteed to be featured in HTTYD 2 - but it wasn't. Unlike the scene of Hiccup "mapping the world", Hiccup's attempts at successfully trying to skydive off Toothless were a mini subplot of sorts. It even stopped Hiccup losing another leg in the climax of the film when he did it successfully. I'd say that if a mini subplot of sorts prevents the protagonist from losing another leg, you should definitely feature it in your albeit rubbish game.

My conclusion is this: this game ultimately suffers from a lack of continuity, as I've said before. It's as if the developers didn't even BOTHER to look at the second film; just the first (and I think they actually did this), and just said, "What do they do? Fly dragons. Where do they live? Some island called Berk. OK, those are the main points of the franchise, so let's just make a game out of that!"
I really and sincerely hope that what I just pretended to quote wasn't said, as much as I think it was. Because if it was - and even if it wasn't - HTTYD 1 and HTTYD 2 deserve more than that. They deserve more than this game.
"A warning to the people, the good and the evil. This is war..."

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

All of this is so true and I'm so happy I went to Redbox and tried out the game before I bought it ._.
The game for the first movie wasn't my favorite either but at least I could enjoy it....
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

nightfury123
My auntie's dog might die...
:'(

Hope_and_Heir
17 Feb 2015, 19:34
All of this is so true and I'm so happy I went to Redbox and tried out the game before I bought it ._.
The game for the first movie wasn't my favorite either but at least I could enjoy it....
I agree. There was more to do - you could walk around as Hiccup, participate in the tournaments, or play mini games. The only thing I wished for was a free-flying mode. I got what I wanted in the next HTTYD game - but only at the cost of what made the first game actually good. The free-flying mode was literally EVERYTHING we got in the second game, apart from a few mini games that I found too difficult to do. But then again, I'm not too good at games, so... :/

Overall, if I was to make a comparison to The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's flying mode, or just even the game itself, and HTTYD 2, I would say that Skyward Sword is definitely the better game - even though I haven't finished it. Heck, I wouldn't mind if HTTYD 2 or HTTYD 3 (I'm assuming they're going to make a game of HTTYD 3)'s gameplay was - in the case of HTTYD 2 - or is - in the case of HTTYD 3 - like Skyward Sword. At least that'd give us more to do.

I'd have liked the HTTYD games to be RPGs, for the same reason. But it seems like the developers couldn't and aren't going to bother to put more effort into making games from a franchise that, as I've said before, truly deserve brilliant, worthwhile games with bosses, and more islands to go to, etc, with free-flying mode also included.
"A warning to the people, the good and the evil. This is war..."

Toothless123
Night Fury

To add to my points in my earlier posts (yay, alliteration! :) ) I would say that the main thing that can be learned from the HTTYD 2 game is not the joy of having lots of things to do and getting to experience riding a dragon for yourself for the first time (albeit through a screen and controls), but that the better a film is, the worse its game will be, if one is even made at all. This can work vice versa, too, since Ice Age 3 was kind of... meh, but the game that was made for it was good. I hadn't played it for ages, and I found myself going back and playing it again a couple of days ago.