Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Httyd Animation Models
Topic Started: 23 Aug 2016, 11:13 (2957 Views)
Toothless123
Night Fury

I was wondering if anybody could make a model of Drago and Drago's Bewilderbeast, respectively, for everyone to use for their HTTYD animation projects? Seeing as, at least to my knowledge, none have been made yet. :D Preferably, they could be loaded into Blender. ^_^

Everyone else can also request HTTYD models if they want. ;)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

That's a very tall order as it would take a lot of time. Just curious though, what would be doing with them?

Toothless123
Night Fury

Just messing around with them really - making little projects, creating cool scenes with them. :D

How much time would the models take to build? If it happens to be too long for convenience, then don't worry about making them, if that's what you wanted to do. ^_^

NightoftheFury

Well to create a geometrically accurate model with proper topology for animation and PBR surface shaders is quite an undertaking. Depending on issues that arise I'd estimate 1-3 months.

I'm interested to hear what type of ideas and scenes you have in mind. I take it you have been using the HTTYD game models in blender? ^) How is that working out for you?

Toothless123
Night Fury

Well, I was thinking of replicating some scenes from my HTTYD fan fiction. :D

I haven't been using the game models yet, but I have found them and I do plan to have some fun with them. ^_^

NightoftheFury

Huh...so you want to turn some of your fanfiction scenes into 3D scenes. That's pretty awesome! :)

I've been down that road before so here are some tips I'd give you:

Firstly, make sure those models you are using are rigged for animation. If they don't have rigs creating ones are a complex task that is quite technically intensive. For dragon models there are these (maybe you already have these?):

http://www.berksgrapevine.com/2012/09/d ... -wild.html

Those already have rigs on them. I don't know how much 3D experience you have, but if you are just starting out I'd stay away from the rigging aspect as you will most definitely find yourself busy with all the other aspects of 3D. You will want assets and environments. My recommendation is to keep things simple at first otherwise you will get bogged down way too fast. Don't go for extravagant environments as a simple scene with good materials and lighting is better than a complex busy scene with poor lighting and materials.

For lighting, I'd also recommend you use HDRi Environment images to provide the ambient light with smaller lamps added to highlight certain aspects of the scene.

Materials can get pretty complicated but the models you have should probably already have materials applied to them so that should be alright. For assets and props you will have to create materials which depending on the complexity can get difficult very quickly.

I assume that you are using Blender? If you aren't very familiar with it or run into problems (which you most defiantly will) feel free to send me a PM and I would be more than happy to help out and give you pointers. Also if you let me know what sort of scenes you are going for, I could give you some more recommendations as to how to approach or create elements of it. ^_^

Puff
Keep smiling.
:)

If you need a source of HDRIs for lighting, check these out ;) :
https://hdrihaven.com (low-res versions seem to be available for free; it's low-res but I think it's sufficient for lighting - it's the colours and brightness you need, not the sharpness)
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
Blender is my <3 (my CGI thread)

If you need anything, feel free to PM me

Toothless123
Night Fury

Thanks so much, Puff and NightoftheFury! :D

@NightoftheFury:

I don't have the Wild Skies models unfortunately; I think the download links got taken down by DreamWorks before I decided that I wanted to animate, but I have still downloaded some HTTYD models, just not those ones. :D

Yes, I'm using Blender :) I did run into an issue with it in the past; I tried to make a model of my own, but even with the tutorial it got too difficult, so I decided to wait until I could find some already-made HTTYD models (as I wouldn't have had to do as much work, if you get what I mean; I would have just had to animate them, which was what I wanted to do), and luckily, I have now! ^_^

As for telling you what sort of scenes I'm going for, I think it would just be easier if I sent you the first scene from my fanfiction, and then we could just go from there? ;)

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Toothless123
27 Aug 2016, 06:24
I don't have the Wild Skies models unfortunately; I think the download links got taken down by DreamWorks before I decided that I wanted to animate, but I have still downloaded some HTTYD models, just not those ones. :D
I have the first download link saved (the Blender files), but although I'm sure I saved the .obj meshes as well, I can't seem to find them.

If you want to download the blender files, here is the link.
And if you want them as a .zip instead of .7z, I have that as well
;)
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Toothless123
Night Fury

Thank you hictooth! :D