Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ideas for HTTYD game
Topic Started: 05 Apr 2019, 11:24 (44507 Views)
BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

hictooth
05 Apr 2019, 09:53
note: I typed this on my phone without proofreading it, so there's probably quite a few spelling/grammar mistakes in it

Wow this thread has really taken off recently! A couple of points to add:

Regarding the game itself, Unity is probably the best thing to use. Unity (currently) uses C# which is nice to use, and similar to Java and other OOP languages, if you've ever used them.

It would also be quite nice to work from an existing game. I've decompiled Wild Skies and Iantje is seeing if it's possible to import that back into the Unity editor as a project, for the reason of exporting it as a WebGL game (rather than the now unsupported Unity Web Player Plugin) - however, if we get it as a Unity project it's possible we could extend it, or at least "borrow" aspects from it (such as the models, flying mechanics, etc.).

And for the models, I still have the blender dragon models which are actually from Wild Skies anyway. Tarch/Puff improved on them greatly (re-rigging) and also has models for a lot of the other characters (httyd1/2 hiccup/astrid, baby night fury, among others) and I can probably ask him to send me them.

But please remember, this is a very ambitious project. It would be good to get a solid plan down of exactly how the game would work before any actual work on it starts, so the feasibility and scale can be determined.
Thank you very much for the resources and advice! :)
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Hey, I'd advise you edit that quote out. Hictooth said to not quote him.
I also have the models from Wild Skies and some version of SoD, and they are rigged, but very oddly. There are a lot of duplicated bones which control different parts of the geometry. Unfortunately, on the page which you linked to, Hictooth, the download link is dead. If you click on it, you get redirected all over. I ended up on some Verizon webpage, or something. If anyone else wants these crazily-rigged models, last time I checked, the links on this forum thread still work.
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
05 Apr 2019, 12:42
Hey, I'd advise you edit that quote out. Hictooth said to not quote him.
It's actually okay, it still remains hidden even if quoted, which is good.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Oh, okay. ;)

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

And yeah I know the links are dead, I was saying that I still have those original links if they'd be useful - but as you said, they're rigged weirdly. Tarch spent a while with them I think.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

I just had another idea. Maybe if you had a touchscreen laptop, you would be able to pet your dragon.

And I'm sorry that I forgot to not quote @hictooth. I didn't read where he said that in his post. :)
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Alright, I'm back! I'm working on the Book of Dragons entry for the Deadly Nadder. :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Is everyone still interested in this project? :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I'm interested, it's just that I'm more interested in the beautiful weather we're having at the moment ;)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Well, the sky is grey at the moment where I am. :/

I'm about halfway done on the Deadly Nadder. :)

I've had another idea. I was thinking about how status effects would work in the game. You would need to give your dragon certain amounts of food (such as fish, wild boar, or other things that you gathered in the wild) in order to level them up (the required quantity of food would increase as your dragon became more powerful, similar to the mechanic in Rise of Berk), but if you wanted to give your dragon a boost, you could obtain food that would briefly raise their stats, and each enhancement would be different depending on the species. For example, if you gave some chicken to your Deadly Nadder, it could increase their speed (continuity ;)), or if you had a boss fight coming up, you could fly to Eel Island and farm some electric eels to feed your Skrill, which would increase the power of its lightning attacks for a while.

As I've said before, there is just so much potential for this game! 8)

(By the way, speaking of Rise of Berk, I played it continuously from September to just before Christmas, which was when I took a break because I was bored of it. I haven't logged on since then, and I'm kind of feeling glad that I didn't. I've been hearing rumours that the game is really going downhill. Apparently the Light Fury costs an unobtainable amount of runes, and you have to pay runes for each turn in the battle arena. :/ It's a shame really, because it was such a great game when I last played, and I absolutely loved it, but now it seems that Ludia are just trying to take your money... >:( Is it worth going back on there again?)

IMPORTANT NOTICE