Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ideas for HTTYD game
Topic Started: 21 Apr 2019, 04:24 (43272 Views)
Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

BooksAreLikeDragons
20 Apr 2019, 08:36
I think we should make the flight times realistic. If you were right at the south end of the map (e.g. Scauldron Island), it would take at least a couple of hours for you to reach the far north. Maybe we could even make the flight times the same as the ones on Hiccup's map, so if you wanted to go from Berk to Dragon's Edge (you would probably need to do that quite a lot), you would need to fly for 34 hours (which I think is roughly a day and a half), and there could be a counter in the menu to track your flying time, with a notification if your dragon is getting tired. Of course, there would be islands along the way, so you could always stop at one of those and save the game, refuel your dragon to prepare for the next part of the journey, buy some supplies in the village. You could have the option to fast-travel (because flying for 34 hours between Berk and Dragon's Edge continuously would probably get very annoying), but only if you've visited that location once before.

I was also thinking that if you were short on fish or meat, you could come across fishermen near the coast and hunters in the forest, who would offer to give you some free food if you completed a quest for them. For example, a Sand Wraith could have stolen a fisherman's lunch, and you have to get it back! :P Maybe you could also train the Sand Wraith.

(Has anyone seen the new 'PLEASE READ THIS' spoiler in my signature? :))
I don't think that would work. If the game's using real time, to have to play 34 hours to get to Dragon's Edge would be a huge turn-off for a lot of potential players. And to make the world that big would probably be too much data for the systems to load, which would result in crashing problems :/

I mean, of course we could have all those locations in the game, but there would have to be fast travel, or some way to cut flight time down considerably. It might be more beneficial if the game wasn't entirely real-time. Like, time passed in game, but not in the real world. But then it would make it pretty hard for special events.
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragondog
21 Apr 2019, 04:24
BooksAreLikeDragons
20 Apr 2019, 08:36
I think we should make the flight times realistic. If you were right at the south end of the map (e.g. Scauldron Island), it would take at least a couple of hours for you to reach the far north. Maybe we could even make the flight times the same as the ones on Hiccup's map, so if you wanted to go from Berk to Dragon's Edge (you would probably need to do that quite a lot), you would need to fly for 34 hours (which I think is roughly a day and a half), and there could be a counter in the menu to track your flying time, with a notification if your dragon is getting tired. Of course, there would be islands along the way, so you could always stop at one of those and save the game, refuel your dragon to prepare for the next part of the journey, buy some supplies in the village. You could have the option to fast-travel (because flying for 34 hours between Berk and Dragon's Edge continuously would probably get very annoying), but only if you've visited that location once before.

I was also thinking that if you were short on fish or meat, you could come across fishermen near the coast and hunters in the forest, who would offer to give you some free food if you completed a quest for them. For example, a Sand Wraith could have stolen a fisherman's lunch, and you have to get it back! :P Maybe you could also train the Sand Wraith.

(Has anyone seen the new 'PLEASE READ THIS' spoiler in my signature? :))
I don't think that would work. If the game's using real time, to have to play 34 hours to get to Dragon's Edge would be a huge turn-off for a lot of potential players. And to make the world that big would probably be too much data for the systems to load, which would result in crashing problems :/

I mean, of course we could have all those locations in the game, but there would have to be fast travel, or some way to cut flight time down considerably. It might be more beneficial if the game wasn't entirely real-time. Like, time passed in game, but not in the real world. But then it would make it pretty hard for special events.
That's definitely true. I think the world should be very big, but not that big. It would be better if you only had to fly for a couple of hours to get to a location.

I agree with your suggestion about fast travel, but I think that the game should still be in real time, so that Berk would change for Snoggletog, Thawfest, etc. Maybe you could get exclusive items or dragons.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

@Dragonrider's Fury, I have some software on my laptop called Windows 3D Builder, and I think it can convert images into 3D models. I'll try it. :)
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Sounds interesting. If it works. Let me know how it goes! ;)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
22 Apr 2019, 12:02
Sounds interesting. If it works. Let me know how it goes! ;)
Okay. ;)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

What about the music? I was thinking that when your dragon is flying in the sky, there shouldn't really be a soundtrack. Just the beating of your dragon's wings, the sound of the waves, the calls of the gulls, and maybe the roar of a Thunderdrum, Scauldron or Seashocker (etc) as you sometimes encounter one in the sea. ^_^ But if you were near a specific place (e.g. Berk or Valka's Sanctuary) then the theme for that location would play. :) (Assuming that there aren't any issues with copyright, of course.)

@hictooth, do you think it would be possible to import the character models from School of Dragons, not just Wild Skies?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I'm not Hictooth, but yes, I think it would be perfectly possible to use those models. Unfortunately, I don't have very many of them. The ones I have were (I think) ripped from a very old version of the game, which didn't have nearly as many dragon species as exist in the newer versions.

About the music, I think there should be background music when flying, but that it should be very faint/soft. :)

Edit: By the way, I think it's Iantje that you should be asking/talking to, not necessarily Hictooth. He's said himself that practically the only game he's ever played is Wild Skies. Iantje has actually developed games in the past. ;)

Team Pathetic Banner

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
22 Apr 2019, 18:12
I'm not Hictooth, but yes, I think it would be perfectly possible to use those models. Unfortunately, I don't have very many of them. The ones I have were (I think) ripped from a very old version of the game, which didn't have nearly as many dragon species as exist in the newer versions.

About the music, I think there should be background music when flying, but that it should be very faint/soft. :)

Edit: By the way, I think it's Lantje that you should be asking/talking to, not necessarily Hictooth. He's said himself that the practically the only game he's ever played is Wild Skies. Lantje has actually developed games in the past. ;)
I think I have a couple of models on my laptop (Hiccup in HTTYD 2, Toothless and Stoick, maybe more, I will try to find them). Hopefully some other models can be taken from SoD, including dragon species. I'm not sure how you go about extracting models from a game, but if somebody could show me, then that might be something I could help with. :)

I agree with you about the music. :D Maybe there could be very relaxing tracks in the background, such as 'Romantic Flight', the piano part of 'Where's Hiccup?', and 'Together We Map The World'. The music is my favourite part of the HTTYD 2 game. Sometimes it's really nice to fly around on Toothless and just listen. ^_^

Ah, okay. I just directed my question to Hictooth because he mentioned models in an earlier post, but I will ask Lantje in the future. ;)
Last edited by BooksAreLikeDragons on 22 Apr 2019, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I know how 3D models can be extracted; the problem is working with the result. Unless you can extract the models straight from the game's source, what you'll almost always get is the model after it has been posed, which makes working with it difficult. It can be done, it's just a lot of work. :/

Team Pathetic Banner

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
22 Apr 2019, 18:42
I know how 3D models can be extracted; the problem is working with the result. Unless you can extract the models straight from the game's source, what you'll almost always get is the model after it has been posed, which makes working with it difficult. It can be done, it's just a lot of work. :/
Ah, okay. Well, I will research how to do it and I'll give it a try if it isn't too difficult for me. :)

I was going to find the models on my laptop, upload them on Google Drive, and post the links on here so that they could be downloaded, but I've just read that it's apparently illegal to share them on forums. So I'm not sure what to do. :/ Although I think it would be okay, since we aren't going to sell the game. When it gets made, it would be free to download.

Could we also extract buildings (such as the Great Hall) and islands from School of Dragons or Wild Skies? ^)

IMPORTANT NOTICE