Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ideas for HTTYD game
Topic Started: 12 Apr 2019, 21:02 (43199 Views)
BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Ah, okay. :)

I was thinking that we might be able to create our own dragon species, and maybe some new locations!

Also, how cool would it be if you flew inside a cloud during a thunderstorm, and you had to dodge the lightning strikes?
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

I'm guessing that the game will only be available for PC/Mac? To get it licensed to be playable on a game console would be a different thing entirely, and I don't think we could do that anyway because of copyright. Hopefully we might be able to add it onto Steam, though. Or failing that, we could at least have game controller support. I do not want to play this game with the arrow keys. :/ It would really diminish the entire experience. Plus, the controller would help with the physics. We could add vibrations and things like that.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

@hictooth, what do you think of my idea in the post above?

By the way, I'm making progress on the script. :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

I'm nearly finished with the first page of the script. I would suggest that you viewed it in the Google Docs or Google Drive app rather than an internet browser, because it just looks better. :)

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-_t ... lMPX4q9-Jc

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I'm liking that! I only found one thing that needs fixing, and that's that this sentence:
Quote:

Although… seeing as you’ve agreed to help me, I think I should at least who you are.
should say, "I should at least know who you are." I'm still waiting to be granted edit access, if you wouldn't mind...
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
15 Apr 2019, 15:54
I'm liking that! I only found one thing that needs fixing, and that's that this sentence:
Quote:

Although… seeing as you’ve agreed to help me, I think I should at least who you are.
should say, "I should at least know who you are." I'm still waiting to be granted edit access, if you wouldn't mind...
Whoops, sorry, that was a typo. I've changed it now.

I think I've enabled editing access. :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

BooksAreLikeDragons
13 Apr 2019, 07:39
I'm guessing that the game will only be available for PC/Mac? To get it licensed to be playable on a game console would be a different thing entirely, and I don't think we could do that anyway because of copyright. Hopefully we might be able to add it onto Steam, though. Or failing that, we could at least have game controller support. I do not want to play this game with the arrow keys. :/ It would really diminish the entire experience. Plus, the controller would help with the physics. We could add vibrations and things like that.
So if it's being made with Unity, then it'll be developed on Windows (I would assume). Unity allows publishing games to PC, Mac, (Linux? not sure about this), and most importantly to WebGL, which would mean it could be a browser based game. That's what I was thinking would be best if this is ever done, as then people wouldn't need to download it.

As far as if it would be played with a controller or a keyboard, not sure. I don't play computer games - I actually don't have a games console and the number of times I've played console games can be counted on one hand (with two of those being DreamWorks Dragons Super Stars Kartz on a Wii)! But from development point, using a keyboard is much easier. In fact, I believe most games start off using keyboards, at least in the development phase, even if they will be eventually extended to use controllers. So at the start, we should just use the keyboard.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

(@hictooth, I keep forgetting that you don't want anybody to quote you. -_-)

Okay. :)

But if it was a browser-based game, is there a chance that it could be slower (in terms of processing speed) than a downloadable game? School of Dragons doesn't run well on my laptop, but that could just be because my PC is old.

As you said, this is a very ambitious project, and even if it proves to be too ambitious for us (which I don't think it will be — I feel extremely confident about this game, as long as we can begin the development on Unity), it still means so much to me that there are some fellow HTTYD fans who are willing to help me with developing my idea into a game. <3
Last edited by BooksAreLikeDragons on 15 Apr 2019, 19:59, edited 4 times in total.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

BooksAreLikeDragons

Sorry, it still says "You can only view this document. To make changes, ask the owner for edit access." :(
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
15 Apr 2019, 19:21
BooksAreLikeDragons

Sorry, it still says "You can only view this document. To make changes, ask the owner for edit access." :(
Ah, I see the problem. I thought I had the 'edit' option ticked, but it was still on 'view'. I've fixed it now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE