Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Ideas for HTTYD game
Topic Started: 02 Apr 2019, 13:00 (44625 Views)
BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

I was wondering about who the villain would be in the game. Would they be already established (e.g. Drago or Grimmel) or would it be somebody entirely new, who we’ve created? I actually had a whole plan for Drago if he had returned in HTTYD 3.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I mean, that would obviously depend on what timeframe you're playing in, or when the game is set.

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

BooksAreLikeDragons
02 Apr 2019, 10:50
I tried the watercolour effect that I used for the file I named 'Painting 9 (watercolour)' on the other dragons, and I didn't like it. So I decided to try out another effect called 'Pencil sketch 1' on the same image of the Night Fury, and I preferred that. I've uploaded the picture onto my Google Drive so that everybody else can see what they think of it. Does it look suitable to be used in the Book of Dragons, and do you think it would be fine to apply the effect for the other dragons?

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SfUPU ... p=drivesdk
It looks awesome :)

As for using it in the book, it looks fine, unless you wanted to go for a more rural feel, and use, like, the charcoal sketches used in the actual book
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragondog
03 Apr 2019, 03:00
BooksAreLikeDragons
02 Apr 2019, 10:50
I tried the watercolour effect that I used for the file I named 'Painting 9 (watercolour)' on the other dragons, and I didn't like it. So I decided to try out another effect called 'Pencil sketch 1' on the same image of the Night Fury, and I preferred that. I've uploaded the picture onto my Google Drive so that everybody else can see what they think of it. Does it look suitable to be used in the Book of Dragons, and do you think it would be fine to apply the effect for the other dragons?

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SfUPU ... p=drivesdk
It looks awesome :)

As for using it in the book, it looks fine, unless you wanted to go for a more rural feel, and use, like, the charcoal sketches used in the actual book
Thank you! :)

I don't really want to use the sketches from the actual Book of Dragons. I'd prefer to use these ones which I'm making on my laptop. :)
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Is it alright if I take a break from the game for a bit? I'll still continue making the sketches of the dragons on my laptop, but I'd like to stop working on the script and the Book of Dragons for a couple of days. I just want to focus on something else at the moment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

It was your idea in the first place, so I don't really think you need to ask permission.. ;)
But it's fine by me. :)

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragonrider's Fury
04 Apr 2019, 18:43
It was your idea in the first place, so I don't really think you need to ask permission.. ;)
But it's fine by me. :)
Okay. :)

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Totally fine. All the great creators took a break, why should this be any different? :P
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Dragondog
05 Apr 2019, 02:07
Totally fine. All the great creators took a break, why should this be any different? :P
:P

IMPORTANT NOTICE

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

note: I typed this on my phone without proofreading it, so there's probably quite a few spelling/grammar mistakes in it

Wow this thread has really taken off recently! A couple of points to add:

Regarding the game itself, Unity is probably the best thing to use. Unity (currently) uses C# which is nice to use, and similar to Java and other OOP languages, if you've ever used them.

It would also be quite nice to work from an existing game. I've decompiled Wild Skies and Iantje is seeing if it's possible to import that back into the Unity editor as a project, for the reason of exporting it as a WebGL game (rather than the now unsupported Unity Web Player Plugin) - however, if we get it as a Unity project it's possible we could extend it, or at least "borrow" aspects from it (such as the models, flying mechanics, etc.).

And for the models, I still have the blender dragon models which are actually from Wild Skies anyway. Tarch/Puff improved on them greatly (re-rigging) and also has models for a lot of the other characters (httyd1/2 hiccup/astrid, baby night fury, among others) and I can probably ask him to send me them.

But please remember, this is a very ambitious project. It would be good to get a solid plan down of exactly how the game would work before any actual work on it starts, so the feasibility and scale can be determined.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.