Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
HTTYD custom font
Topic Started: 23 Jun 2019, 18:09 (5922 Views)
BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Introducing 'This is New Berk', a HTTYD font I created, inspired by the runes seen when Hiccup is reading from the Book of Dragons in the first film. Thanks to hictooth for compiling 'Berk', the original font, which I used as the basis for this one.

For authenticity, the runes were drawn with a Derwent black charcoal pencil.

The download links are on Google Drive. You can use them for whatever you want, but please credit me. :)

TrueType: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zkITZ7 ... p=drivesdk

OpenType: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pYVoFI ... p=drivesdk

Notes
—This font is in uppercase, meaning that it can only be seen in all caps. It doesn't have a lowercase version, because Viking runes don't have a distinction between large capitals and small capitals.

—The comma, full stop (period) and speechmarks were too difficult for me to draw correctly in the font creation tool I used (Calligraphr), so they look quite strange. I would suggest using an alternative font for those punctuation symbols. 'Standard Celtic Rune' seems to work fine. There are a few other symbols that I didn't include (such as @), but I can't remember all of them.

—I didn't include numbers, because the runic versions in 'Berk' were too hard for me to draw, so you will just have to type the number in its letter form — e.g. six instead of 6.

I think that's everything.

Enjoy! :)
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

This is excellent! Next Loki Day I can set the font of the website to it if you want. I may need you to add a couple of extra special characters, but I can't quite remember what they are right now.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

Thank you! :D I'm very proud of myself. :P It took me about a day to make it, from drawing the runes to packaging them into the font files, and the process was relatively easy.

You're more than welcome to do that. :)

I'm not sure about the special characters though, since after I created the font, I deleted the templates which I used to make it with. However, I still have the runic alphabet for 'Berk', so it shouldn't be too difficult to draw the runes again and add some special characters when it's near Loki Day next year.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE