Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
"He's Not the Only One" AU
Topic Started: 12 Sep 2020, 15:57 (12614 Views)
NightLightNadderWhip
Night Fury, Light Fury, Deadly Nadder, Razorwhip hybrid

"As long as you stay out of ... arrow range," Hiccup called after him, slowing down as he realized the twins were already out of earshot. Oh well. Fishlegs would see to it that they did. Probably. "Alright," he said, turning to the girls, "let's go." He turned Toothless into the clouds, planning to go the long way around as an extra precaution.
All form of PMs are turned strictly off, no exceptions; thank you for understanding.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightLightNadderWhip

Cadell stared into those pale blue eyes of Grimmel's. They looked dead, but he knew better. They were as sharp as a hawk's.
His heart was beating out of his chest. He attempted to regulate his breathing as he stared death in the face. Not an easy thing to do.
Grimmel increased the pressure fractionally on the trigger in preparation to shoot, but then one of his hunters' voices cut across the crowd. "Dragon Riders!"
Both captor and captive turned towards the voice. Dragon Riders? For a moment, Cadell's heart surged with relief. But then he remember the Riders had no idea he had switched sides. He was a recognizable figure. If they started shooting, he'd never see the fireball coming.
With that thought, he turned back to Grimmel. The old hunter had his eyes slitted as he started up at the sky, sizing up the Riders.
Now was his chance. He considered slipping away quietly, but at this range, he'd never manage it. Instead, he jumped to his feet and shoved the old hunter over before he had time to react. Then he ran like lightening.
The bolt that hissed past his ear a few moments later only helped to quicken his pace.
"Get him!" he heard Grimmel screech. "Get that treacherous little snake!"
He took in his surroundings as he went. Magin was still being detained by one brute, Lucretia another, and Ottar was tied to the burning airship. Before he had time to decide who to go after, a hunter blocked his path and started swinging his axe vertically towards him.
Cadell leapt back, and before the axe had even sliced into the ground where he once stood, was on another path. A path lead to the airship. It was possible that the fire would burn Ottar's bonds and free him, but it was equally possible that it would burn him in the process. Not to mention, with the Deathgripper venom flowing through his veins, he might not even notice he was free.
The hunters were in hot pursuit, but he was quicker. There were no obstacles to the airship. All the men had cleared the vicinity when the fire started.
He made it there unhindered and took the dagger out of his sheath. "Ottar," he spoke firmly, "we're getting out of here."
The young man looked at him curiously, as if trying to place him. "Alright," he said at length.
Cadell hadn't waited for his answer. He had already moved behind the pole Ottar was bound to and was working his way through the knotted rope. The fire raged beside him, it hadn't quite reached the pole yet, but it was coming, and it was coming fast.
And then they snapped. Just as the ropes fell away, Cadell heard another sound, a far less welcome sound. Hunters screaming a war cry as they closed in on their target.
One of them was a sword length away from Ottar, who stood there like an oblivious child. Cadell prepared for an attack, when suddenly the ground the bulk of the soldiers were standing on exploded in a shower of sparks. The Riders were in shooting range.
All form of PMs are turned strictly off, no exceptions; thank you for understanding.

BooksAreLikeDragons
Deadly Nadder

Magin heard Dragon Hunters shouting, and he noticed most of the soldiers running away from Grimmel's airship. At first he was confused — weren't they supposed to be guarding Ottar? — but then he saw that the ground next to it was ablaze with sparks. He could hardly see anything because of the smoke from the fire that Venomjaw had started, but he glimpsed what he'd been hoping for — the winged silhouette of a dragon, followed by two more flying shapes.
Suddenly, he saw the dragon at the front bursting into flames, the scarlet scales igniting — that was clearly Hookfang — as he heard a familiar cry of, "Five thousand pounds of flaming muscle coming through!" Looking more closely, he saw a two-headed shadow behind the Nightmare, and another dragon hovering behind, struggling to keep up.
Magin rolled his eyes in exasperation. Until now, he hadn't thought he would be able to feel both happy and disappointed at the same time, but apparently he could. Although, now he knew that dragons existed, anything was possible.
He hoped that Fishlegs would be able to prevent Snotlout and the twins from getting them all killed, but he had to admit that dying from one of Barf and Belch's explosions would be quicker than burning to death from the fire that was advancing towards him and Lucretia.
Well, even though they were the three biggest idiots in the entire Archipelago, they were still their best chance of surviving. "Hey!" he shouted, struggling in the huge Dragon Hunter's grip and trying to draw the Riders' attention, with Lucretia joining him. "Over here! Help us!"
"Shut your mouth, or I'll cut out your tongue," the massive soldier snarled at him.
"No, I don't think that will be necessary," a voice said, and Magin turned to see a familiar thin silhouette, almost completely hidden in the smoke. "The boy needs to speak. He will be useful."
"Grimmel," Magin growled.
The old Dragon Hunter raised his eyebrows, clearly pleased that he had remembered him from their first meeting. "Yes, I am Grimmel the Grisly. And this is Vidarr, one of my most loyal soldiers," he said, gesturing to the huge man holding Magin. "But I don't seem to recall your name, my boy."
He glared at Grimmel, staying stubbornly silent, until Vidarr pressed the blade of his sword against his back. "Magin," he spat. "My name is Magin. And my friend is Lucretia."
Grimmel placed a hand on his chin. "Interesting. I've never heard names like those. I'm guessing that neither of you are from the Archipelago?"
"No. We've never been here before, at least, not until a few days ago. What's your point?" he demanded, and Vidarr moved his sword closer as a reminder for Magin to watch his mouth.
"Well, Magin, I can't deny I was fascinated when you said there were other Night Furies in your little speech to my men. How did you discover that, I wonder? Have you seen them in the land that you and your friend come from, perhaps?"
"No. There aren't any dragons where we're from. Ottar told us about the other Night Furies."
Grimmel regarded him with his cold, pale-blue eyes, seeing if he was telling the truth. After a long moment, he spoke. "Very well. That's fortunate for me, since the traitor is already in my possession." His eyes narrowed with disgust and his voice filled with venom as he spoke of Ottar. "But it's not so good for you and your friend, as I have no use for either of you." He gestured to Vidarr, who put his sword to Magin's throat, and the other Dragon Hunter holding Lucretia did the same to her. "Kill them both," he ordered, and walked away, leaving them both to their fate. Magin struggled in Vidarr's grip, but the huge soldier only laughed in amusement.
Suddenly, there was a strange noise that Magin had never heard before — as if something was moving through the air at an impossible speed — and Vidarr looked up at the sky, the smile dropping from his face. Magin didn't understand what was happening, but the Dragon Hunters did. He saw soldiers crouching and covering their bodies with their shields, while a man shouted, "NIGHT FURY! GET DOWN!"
Out of nowhere, Magin saw a bright purple explosion, and Vidarr was thrown off his feet, the massive Hunter's unconscious body hitting the ground with a thud.
"Hold on!" Hiccup called, his voice slightly muffled from the helmet he was wearing, made from Toothless's jet-black scales, and Magin was snatched up by the Night Fury's front claws, with Lucretia dangling from the talons on his back legs.
Hiccup removed his helmet and tucked it away, then held out his hand. "Here."
Magin grabbed his fingers, pulling himself into Toothless's saddle, and he helped Lucretia onto the Night Fury's back. "What now?" he asked.
"We save Ottar," Hiccup replied. "Come on, bud." He patted Toothless, and the Night Fury surged forwards.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

—Cressida Cowell, How to Fight a Dragon's Fury

𝐖𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐝𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞. 𝐀𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞.

NightLightNadderWhip

Hiccup surveyed the burning airship and saw that Ottar was still in the same spot, but Cadell had moved beside him, and he had that dagger of his out. He wasn't sure exactly what the boy was thinking, after all, Grimmel would have his head if he killed Ottar, but he couldn't take any chances. "Get him, bud," he told Toothless.
The Night Fury prepared a plasma blast, but Magin's exclamation of, "Don't!" stopped him.
"Don't what?" Hiccup asked, turning slightly in the saddle.
"Cadell's with us now," the boy explained.
Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows. "Since when?" Before Magin could answer, he said, "Never mind. It's not important. But Toothless can't carry five people." He glanced back at the airship. Cadell had pulled Ottar a little ways away from the burning wreckage. They were safe. For the moment. So, he steered Toothless off his course and directed him towards Stormfly and Shadow, who were hovering a little removed from the rest of the pack covering Hiccup.
"Astrid!" he called. "Change of plan. I need your help."

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Stormfly delivered another blast of white-hot magnesium fire, and Astrid turned in the saddle to face Hiccup.
"Good job, girl. With what?"
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

NightLightNadderWhip

"I need you and Stormfly to grab Ottar while Toothless and I," he paused, unsure of how Astrid would take what he was about to say, "rescue Cadell."

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Astrid took it about as well as Hiccup had expected.
"Rescue Cadell?!?" she echoed, wide eyes underscoring the indescribable disbelief in her tone. "That lying, double-crossing snake?! Hiccup, are you crazy?? Or have you forgotten that he's the reason we're in this mess in the first place?!"
She would have gone on, but a sudden hail of arrows prompted Stormfly to quickly roll out of the way and give an indignant squawk as one just grazed the edge of her wing. Astrid had to abruptly focus all her attention on not falling off.

Team Pathetic Banner

NightLightNadderWhip

Toothless flapped back out of arrow range. "Astrid!" Hiccup cried, waiting a moment to see if Stormfly would regain her balance. He wanted to direct Toothless to grab the other dragon, but he knew, with two extra passengers, that would be stressful on the Night Fury.

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

At first everything seemed to be going fine. Stormfly completed her roll and began regaining her altitude... But it quickly became evident that something was wrong. She listed to one side and began sliding sideways through the air. She tried to balance out, but only succeeded in throwing herself and her rider into more of an uncontrollable spin.

From where she clung to her dragon's back, Astrid saw with alarm what Hiccup could not from his position: Her Stormfly's eyes were not just narrowed with panic (as she would expect, given the situation), but were mere slits. She had seen those slit pupils but once before, and... She didn't like where this was going. That arrow may have missed its mark, but the drugged head still did its job.

Stormfly tried desperately to right herself, to keep her... her... her rider, yes, that was it, and herself from hitting the... the... What was it flying toward them? The... ground, right. But her wing wouldn't... wouldn't do as she told it, and it wasn't long before her... her leg wouldn't stay properly... tucked out of... out of the... out of the way.

As they continued to approach the ground, the effect of the concentrated Deathgripper venom (for that is what it was) continued to spread. It interfered with Stormfly's nervous system and fogged her brain until all she could do was watch in slow-motion horror as flight became completely impossible, and surely the end, in the form of a jagged, rocky island covered in war machines, rushed to meet them.

Team Pathetic Banner

NightLightNadderWhip

"Toothless, dive!" Hiccup yelled impulsively.
The Night Fury did as he was told, tucking in his wings and rushing after the plummeting Stormfly. He stretched out his claws and grabbed hold of the Nadder, roaring in protest against the strain, but refusing to let go.
Hiccup glanced around wildly for help. And the first dragon he saw was Hookfang. "Snotlout!" he yelled. "Snotlout, come here! I need your help!"
After letting loose another fire blast, Hookfang turned and started flapping towards Hiccup. "What do you mean you need my help? You never need my help!" Snotlout exclaimed when he was in earshot.
"Take Stormfly," Hiccup said tensely as he felt Toothless slowly losing altitude.
Snotlout pushed Hookfang forward to do as he was told, and once the Nadder was safely transferred from Toothless' claws to Hookfang's, Hiccup could feel the burden lifted from his dragon.
Suddenly an arrow whizzed between the two conscious dragons. "Stay out of arrow range," Hiccup warned. "We can't afford another downed dragon."
Snotlout saluted and pushed Hookfang higher.
Hiccup looked over his shoulder at the distant specks of Cadell and Ottar. To his horror, he saw a larger speck confronting them, and, as far as he knew, all Cadell had was a dagger to defend them both.
Suddenly a brown blur fluttered past. "Fishlegs!" Hiccup exclaimed.
He turned in the saddle. "Yeah, Hiccup?"
"I need you to take Magin and Lucretia."
Fishlegs nodded and directed Meatlug as close to Toothless as she could manage.
Magin looked at Hiccup. "What do you expect us to do?" he questioned.
"You're going to have to jump. Don't worry, we'll catch you if you fall."
Sighing, Magin and Lucretia exchanged glances. Then Magin stood up slowly, estimating the distance between the two dragons.
"You can walk on Toothless' wing to lessen the gap," Hiccup suggested. "As long as you jump quickly, that is."
Magin looked at him like he was crazy. But with Toothless' large wingspan it would be pretty hard to land on the Gronckle's back without doing it. He stepped lightly onto the Night Fury's wing. After taking a few more quick steps, his arms held out for balance, he launched himself and jumped.
Toothless' wing gave way as he jump off, and the Night Fury faltered for a moment, but easily recovered.
Magin landed on Meatlug's neck, and got into a sitting position. Soon after Lucretia followed. It was quite cramped, but at least they were secure.
Hiccup nodded once, then pulled Toothless into a dive. Cadell was engaging one of Grimmel's soldiers in a sword fight, apparently one of the other hunters had discarded his sword. But Hiccup wasn't going to wait and see how the battle panned out. "Get him, bud," he whispered, and Toothless fired at the hunter.
He didn't hit the man directly, but instead shot at the ground around him so that the impact sent him flying.
Cadell looked up, surprise written on his face, but when he saw the Night Fury he waved his hands, trying to signal Hiccup.
Toothless didn't come out of his dive until he was nearly on top of them. Then he unfurled his wings and stretched out his claws, grabbing the two, then rushing to regain altitude. Hiccup grabbed Ottar by the arms and heaved him onto Toothless' saddle, then did the same with Cadell.
The boy glanced at him anxiously, as if expecting him to toss him overboard.
"Thanks for getting Ottar out of that burning ship," Hiccup said.
Before Cadell could reply, Toothless suddenly barrel-rolled out of the way of a hail of arrows that came streaking after him, and they all had to focus on not falling off.
After that one close call, they were out of range. "Dragon Riders! Form up!" Hiccup yelled, and the Riders moved their dragons around Toothless. Hiccup did a quick count of heads, then nodded and said, "Let's get out of here."