Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Happy 10th Birthday, How to Train Your Dragon!
Topic Started: 26 Mar 2020, 07:39 (91559 Views)
hictooth
Archivist of Berk

:D Happy Birthday, How to Train Your Dragon! :D

Today (March 26th) is 10 years to the day since the first How to Train Your Dragon had it's US theatrical release! And what an amazing 10 years it's been! Since then we've had two more movies, 5 shorts, 8 seasons of a TV show (and 2 more if you count Rescue Riders), a (sadly short lived) live show, three soundtrack albums, and enough merch to fill a house!

But more importantly to me is the community that's built up around the film, with multiple fan-sites (including Berk's Grapevine!), forums, more than 21638 fanfictions written across both fanfiction.net and archiveofourown.org, an active subreddit, many hundreds of tumblr blogs, several different discord servers, even some real life meetups, and much more that I'm probably forgetting!

I'd like to thank both Cressida Cowell for creating the amazing characters, and then everyone at DreamWorks animation (but especially directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois) for making such a wonderful film that's clearly resonated with us all.

What have your favourite httyd moments been? I think mine have to include finding this site and realising there are so many people who love the franchise, all the friendships I've made online, and the real-life meetups - including managing to watch the first film in a cinema surrounded by fans last year.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BooksAreLikeDragons
Scribe of Berk

One of my most favourite HTTYD moments is when I went to watch the preview screening of the second film at Odeon (which was on Father's Day) with my dad. At the end, as it got to the part where Hiccup says "We have OUR DRAGONS!" the entire cinema started applauding and cheering for this beautiful film. I felt so happy and grateful to be part of the fandom, and it was one of the best moments of my life.
Books are like dragons... if we do not believe in them, and read them, they will cease to exist.
How then will we learn the language and understand the stories of the dear dead ghosts of the past?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

NightLightNadderWhip
Member Avatar
Night Fury, Light Fury, Deadly Nadder, Razorwhip hybrid

HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY HTTYD!!!!!!! :D
My favorite thing in the franchise is the first movie, without a doubt. It's just so beautifully perfect in my opinion. I didn't get to see the first nor second movie in theaters, sadly. In fact, the first time I saw HTTYD1 I wasn't even giving it my full attention. But then the climax. Something about it caught my eye. I sat there and watched as Hiccup and Toothless were engulfed in flames. I watched as Stoick frantically looked for his son. In my mind I kept telling myself "He can't be dead, Hiccup can't be dead! Right?" And then, I watched as Stoick found his son and all the Berkians cried out in joy!
When Hiccup awoke and saw his prosthetic for the first time I remember myself saying, "I didn't expect that!" And I think that's one of the many reasons I love HTTYD, it took something cliche and turned it on its head, creating the beautiful masterpiece we all know and love.
All form of PMs are turned strictly off, no exceptions, thank you for understanding.

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Happy 10-year milestone of existence to one of the greatest franchises ever!! <3 I, sadly, was very late to the scene, and have never seen any of the films in theater. The series only came to my attention about when Race to the Edge Season 5 came out, so I missed out on a lot of excitement and hype. However, I can with confidence say that the Dragons franchise is definitely one of my favorites. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've watched HTTYD, RoB, DoB, RTTE, HTTYD2, and the several shorts.

My favorite installment of the series is without a doubt the original, How to Train Your Dragon. It's so perfect in so many ways; the narrative, the subplots, the character arcs, and of course, the dragons, are all so amazing and well done. It created a world that I don't think I'll ever grow weary of. ^_^

I don't remember how I found this site, but I'm so glad I did! I never knew there were so many people so much like me. :O I have made fast friends and found many wonderful and talented people. Thanks for everything, fellow Berkian Grapes! Keep being awesome and loving dragons! I know I will. ;)
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

httyd500
Dragon Egg

Yes!! It's been a crazy but very exciting ten years!

One of my favorite httyd moments has to be when I first REMEMBER seeing the first movie, and it just happened to be when my obsession started. XD I watched it in my room before I went to bed with my sister and brother, and it was one of the best moments I've had with my siblings.

It was way back in 2011 when this happened, and I specifically remember replaying the same moment when Hiccup patted his mangler and said, "ok, fine, but this will throw it for me" and then it opened and the bola hit a viking in the head. We watched that part over, and over, and over again, laughing until we couldn't breathe. XDXD

That had been a great night.... :)