Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Why you liked this movie
Topic Started: 09 Apr 2014, 21:33 (3789 Views)
WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Share your feelings of when you first saw this movie. Why'd you like it so much?
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

I like it because I feel that it's very easy to relate to the characters, which is quite an important thing if you ask me! I also think that it's just such a pretty film! The scenes like romantic flight just look gorgeous!
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Aika

[i]
[b]
[color=Maroon]Viking-in-Training
[/color]
[/b]
[/i]

Oh dear, this question is begging for an essay.

The How to Train Your Dragon movie (even the books) franchise has captured my heart and captivated me to marking this series as my number 1 favorite animated series of all time. And why? Well, it may just be numerous things. Let's make a list, shall we?

Originality
Sure, there are animated movies about befriending dragons and whatnot, but this movie seems to stand out to me. The story the directors had hoped for was originally a father-son story. And they effectively communicated this relationship between Hiccup and Stoick through majority of the movie and finally towards the end at the scene of the battle with the Red Death. However, they managed to create another story about a boy and his dragon. First, Hiccup becomes the first viking to ever to ride a dragon (let's try to not put some HTTYD2 stuff here, as it's not the subject matter) and the one of the first to realize that they are not always the wild beasts vikings had feared for generations.

Symbiosis
This really was one of the things that made me fall in love with the series. Of course, we know that Toothless lost a tail fin after the first battle scene between viking and dragon, then, Hiccup lost his left leg in the last battle between viking and dragon in the movie. Basically, they can't do a lot without each other, and Toothless especially ("a downed dragon is a dead dragon"). The Gift of the Night Fury also demonstrated this relationship when
Spoiler: click to toggle
By both being handicapped, they wove together this symbiotic relationship that is almost irrepressible.

Score/Music
OKAY, THIS. JUST. JOHN POWELL.
The fact that this movie had scenes with only music playing (and letting the animation speak for itself) is absolutely incredible. Forbidden Friendship, and the moment Hiccup realized he is ultimately handicapped are main examples. Just everything about the music. Yeah. And don't forget about Jonsi! Personally, he's one of my most favorite artists and his "Sticks & Stones" at the end of the movie is actually a really good representation for what my taste in music is like. Go figure. (I wouldn't be sitting here enjoying his amazing music if it weren't for this movie, actually)

VAs
This probably won't be a reason for some of you, but it sort of is for me.
I know there are some of those people who wish to know nothing about the voice actors or the actors themselves so they'll fully believe that that is the character they're playing or voicing on screen. But Jay Baruchel is an exception for me. I've watched almost every Behind the Scenes for this movie and needless to say I was amused when I found out most of Hiccup's character and gestures were based off of Jay. I just thought it was interesting, is all. The voice actors for Gobber and Stoick have a close relationship to that of their characters. I also happen to like America Ferrera. And David Tennant (he was Spitelout, Snotlout's dad) has a soft spot in my heart. (The fact that he was the voice over for the book series is amazing itself)

Just in General
  • It made me love being a kid again.
  • The fandom has its perks. :)
  • I found the art style rather unique--it just appealed to me for some reason.
  • Chris Sanders and Dean Deblois. Enough said.
  • Dragons, and flying.
  • Hiccup's sarcasm.
  • The flight scenes! And every single one of them!
There's probably a ton more I could say here but sadly they're not popping up at the moment.
Come and visit my blog!

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

- Prosthesis
- John Powell
- Dragons
- It's not a musical.
User no longer exists.

kozmotisblack
assistant of dragons

Aika, that was a beautiful analysis dearheart.

taking art requests on tumblr
Surviving the movie one day at a time.

God_dragons_love
Dragon Egg

Wow, um, I don't know if I can fit it all in one post.

None of this is in order BTW.

1. The music. John Powell did a terrific job, especially on the scenes with hardly no talking. It's hard to do that, because you have to keep the audience entertained with no dialogue. HTTYD was the first movie (That's not a Disney musical) where I realized the music. Every score fits perfectly with its scene!

2. Hiccup and Toothless' relationship. This is just undescribable. It's not a relationship of romance, nor friendship, nor family, it's a relationship that only God can put together. They are both missing a left limb, and they are both different in their world. Hiccup is the only scrawny viking, and Toothless is the only Night Fury. They would both do anything for each other, and they both love each other with everything they've got.

3. The Forbidden Friendship scene. I have a bunch of favorite scenes, but this one really makes the movie. Again, another scene with just music, and only a few words at the beggining. The way they both smile, the way Toothless copies Hiccup, the way Toothless hesitates before putting his nose into Hiccup's hand....it's perfect.

4. Hiccup and Astrid. This love-relationship isn't built on whether they look hot, nor whether they are perfect, it's built on trust. Astrid didn't like Hiccup till he stopped acting like someone he wasn't, and in the Romantic Flight scene she sees the true Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III.

5. Hiccup and Stoick. A father/son relationship built up through the entire movie. No father is perfect, and of course no son is perfect, but when they both stop to listen to each other, they realize what love truly is. The apology near the end of the movie didn't feel forced, it felt sincere and serious, and Hiccup knew that.

6. The message. The message of the movie is that no matter what you think of somebody, whether it be an animal or human being, you don't know who they truly are until you dig deeper into their hearts. Another message is, don't wear a mask all your life. If someone doesn't like you for being who you are (unless it's a bad persona), don't change for them. Ask yourself, maybe it's them who should change for the batter.

7. The Where's Hiccup scene. This scene is just...it's perfect. When Hiccup walks to the door leaning on Toothless for help, and when Toothless' tail swings by, you think, 'yes, they're one now.' It's again, a scene with hardly any talking, and sometimes that's all you need.

8. The Kill Ring scene. The fact that Hiccup has tried to prove himself to his father his entire life, and tried his entire life to fit in, he still goes out into that ring, knowing what could happen; What would happen. He could possibly, easily get killed by that Nightmare, but he has to do what is right. I see him doing a Christ-like thing. I am not in any way saying he is Jesus or anything like Jesus, I'm just saying he's doing what is right instead of doing what everyone else wants him to, which is wrong. We have to make those decisions once in a while, and do we always make the right decicsion?

9. Hiccup is a good roll model. If there is a better roll model for boys, girls, adults or teens out there then Hiccup, then let me know. He does do some wrong things, and he does suffer cosequences, but he does what is right in the end. I would rather my kids look up to him then some tv character that's perfect. Yeah, it shows kids how to be good, but does it show them how it's okay to make mistakes, that everybody does make mistakes and that there are consequences for bad actions or decisions? I think not, especially not a consequence to the point of losing a limb. Yes, Hiccup did the correct thing in killing the Red Death, but he made some wrong choices before that. Plus, do you think you're going to come out of that fight with just scars and brusies? No. I have never seen an animated movie where a character loses a limb before, never. This movie is more realistic then a live-action action film if you ask me.

10. Hiccup is relatable to. Raise your hand if you've/you're (been) picked on in school, are/were different, or thinks something is wrong so you stand up for it. I know I have seen some things I know are wrong, and have been made fun if because I fight for that cause. Hiccup is more relatable them any celebrity or tv star will ever be.

11. It leaves you feeling great. Whenever I finish watching HTTYD, I always (no matter how many times I watch it) feel good afterwards, like I just told all my sins to a priest and I am clean now, or like I just received a box of chocolates from my bf. It makes me smile every time I see Hiccup and Toothless laugh or smile, and the jokes make me laugh to this day, after four years, and seeing the full movie over 100 times.

12. It's original. The story is so original, and yeah there are movies with similar plots, but not a single one with the a story like this one, relationships like this one, music like this one, characters like this one, or messages like this one.
There were Dragons when I was a Boy...

orcadolphin
Terrible Terror

• dragons
  • dragons
  • dragons
  • drAGoNs???
  • DRAGONS.
  • DRAAAAAAAGOOOONS!!!!!!
  • d r a g o n s.
In all serious though, I loved the movie. At first, though, I remember seeing a billboard for it in the cinema at summer camp, advertising this movie. I think it was somewhere in 2009, so not much was known about it (the only thing on the cardboard billboard was a dragon symbol and stuff), so I thought it was going to be some lame live action comedy karate movie.

Boy, was I wrong. VERY wrong. It was actually about, well, how to train a dragon. Lesson learned: don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, don't judge a movie by it's advertising. I ended up loving the movie, and I saw it in IMAX 3D. I remember.
Drey anahlrii saag dovah?

StaticTheSkrill
The Skrill of all Skrills...

No one laugh, cause I'll be honest....

I liked the movie MAINLY because of the way the dragon feet were drawn. I don't know wh but there is something about those feet of which I'm attracted to. :blink: whut?

But also because the storyline was great, the animation was great, the dragons were great and EVERTHING WAS GREAT. Yayayay
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

How could I not have mentioned the SHEEP?!
User no longer exists.

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Wow, alot of great thoughts about the movie.
For me some of it was for stoic and hiccup, hiccup tried so much at the beginning to be like all the other Vikings, only to find when tested with toothless he couldn't kill toothless and he wasn't one of them.
During the movie, toothless was the cause of stoiks and hiccups relationship being destroyed, but in the end toothless helped rebuild there relationship.

And to me it was the fact that hiccup was never accepted by the other Vikings and felt alone. And toothless was the same way. He tried to be like the other dragons, but never really fit in. Then they found each other, and after a while, they realize they are alot alike.
And at the end their bond was complete with toothless being there to help hiccup take his first steps.

So toothless can't fly without hiccup, and hiccup couldn't walk at first without toothless' help.

But I can't top the other posts about this already.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.