Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 20 Nov 2017, 01:04 (55760 Views)
Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

I'm gonna dust off this thread for a moment...

It's hard for me to find things I didn't like about the movie. But if anything, I'd say it's the "breast hat" joke. Was that really necessary? It didn't really add to the scene -- not in a way that couldn't have been handled by another line.

And then the second movie introducing Valka as this tiny little woman made that scene even worse, since it's obviously not possible for it to have been half her breastplate unless she had gigantic armor. Now what? Did Stoick make a crude-ish joke at the expense of his supposedly dead wife? Does he have a terrible memory? Did he lie to Hiccup?
Clouds of corn <3
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Heather the Berserker
I go where no one goes

Tuffnut'sChicken
20 Nov 2017, 05:04

It's hard for me to find things I didn't like about the movie. But if anything, I'd say it's the "breast hat" joke. Was that really necessary? It didn't really add to the scene -- not in a way that couldn't have been handled by another line.

And then the second movie introducing Valka as this tiny little woman made that scene even worse, since it's obviously not possible for it to have been half her breastplate unless she had gigantic armor. Now what? Did Stoick make a crude-ish joke at the expense of his supposedly dead wife? Does he have a terrible memory? Did he lie to Hiccup?
I have wondered about this too..... ^)
Bear the flame

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Tuffnut'sChicken

Hmm... interesting point. I see what you’re getting at, half of Valka’s breastplate should not have been able to make a helmet.

I also agree with icandowhatiwant. Valka would have been malnourished after that long.
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Tuffnut'sChicken

I genuinely have to talk up this joke a little bit. I mean the joke itself can be disliked no qualms here for that. Even I'll say it's not the greatest joke and is a fairly obvious one to make. I do feel there is more than one way to take this joke though(whether the writers intended it this way or not). That being I feel this can be taken as a joke on the idea of a womans breastplate and how it's represented in film, games etc. So if your problem is the consistency or the idea that the joke doesn't work because "there's no way Valka's breast plate could be that big." Well it could, an actual functioning breastplate even one worn by Valka would've been big enough to make to helmets out of.

As an example:

This isn't a breastplate that would've been worn by females of the time. Just something that has been created by movies/games/comicbooks/insert any entertainment media here that has used it. The design looks really cool, but it's not real.

This is what you would've seen anyone of the time male or female wearing. Sizes would've been different most certainly, but the design wouldn't have changed at all it would be deadly to the wearer otherwise.

With all of that said, the joke itself for me is still meh at best, it comes and it goes.

The reason the joke is there though is important, and serves a fairly good purpose. That is to make note of/accentuate the awkwardness between Stoick and Hiccup yet again, and to once more point out to the audience how bad both of them(not just Hiccup) are at talking to one another. So this moment should most certainly be there, but could it be better served by something else? Absolutely, I would say so. Whether it's a different joke entirely or just something else, it could certainly do better than a joke that mostly just falls flat before it even gets started.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.