Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 04 Feb 2015, 20:01 (56151 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

DarkWing
04 Feb 2015, 18:10
Ideally: No twins, no Snotlout, no Fishlegs; less Eret (and Valka). In my opinion they're shallow characters that at best provide some cheap laughs, but overall really detract from the experience; as HTTYD 2 showed, they ruined so many potentially moving scenes.
I hear ya.

I feel that Gobber ruined many touching moments.

He made that insensitive "Well most of him" remark when Hiccup was in a critical, life threatening condition.

And did HTTYD2 really need a "coming out" scene or rude remarks about Valka's cooking during Stoick and Valka's reunion. In my opinion it was just ill placed, cheap comedy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

He made that insensitive "Well most of him" remark when Hiccup was in a critical, life threatening condition.
At least by movie logic, Hiccup's condition was not critical or life-threatening at that point. He was alive, and would continue to remain so for the foreseeable future. He had, however, lost a leg, and the line was a good way to ease the audience in, while having a bit of a black comedic edge to it.
Quote:

And did HTTYD2 really need a "coming out" scene or rude remarks about Valka's cooking during Stoick and Valka's reunion. In my opinion it was just ill placed, cheap comedy.
On the contrary, Gobber was the one guy acting remotely like a human being in those scenes, and is thus the only thing that makes them at all bearable.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Cult of Mildew
Imus ubi nemo it, facimus id quod nemo facit.

Astrid being a love interest.
Imus ubi nemo it, facimus id quod nemo facit.

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

I don't like the animation of Toothless' prosthetic tailfin in the See You Tomorrow scene, when Hiccup scratches him.
In New Tail you can see that the tailfin is just lying beside his tail and can't be fixed in it's open state.

But during the "Scratch Scene" it's unfolded and fixed for the whole time, even though there's nothing to hold it in that position.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Actually, I think that can work. Thinking about the New Tail scene for a bit, the tail fin folds back in because Toothless starts to fly, thus putting a force on the tail that forces it back and in. If the fin is just pulled open and left there, with Toothless standing there, then I don't see why it wouldn't just stay there.

However, I suppose that raises the question of why Hiccup opened up the tail fin for that bit of scratching, but that's less an outright mistake and more something that just doesn't make much sense.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

*yyawns* Astrid.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

HideousZippleback
25 Feb 2015, 06:32
*yyawns* Astrid.
Whilst I love most of the characters in HTTYD, I have to agree after watching the movie on repeat. Astrid needed more character development. I don't even know her personality, I mean, sure she's violent, but we don't see any other sides of her.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Vorpent vs. Potato
Dragon Egg

A lot of people are going to hate me for this, aren't they?
Alright... here goes.

Valka.

Now I know you're all :O , but I have reasons.

In and of herself, she's a great character.

But I can't stand the fact she's Hiccup's mother. It just felt way too forced. I mean, what are the chances of Hiccup getting kidnapped by his supposedly dead mother, who just happens to be second-in-command to the alpha species?

Sorry, no. Just no.

I thought about it, and I probably wouldn't have minded if she had been some, random, completely unrelated dragon rider. One less ridiculous coincidence. In fact, it might even be pretty cool to see someone else out there opened minded to dragons.

And another thing.

Hiccstrid.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pairing, they used to be my OTP. But that was back when it was realistic. It felt real watching them develop.

But in the second movie?

Just your run-of-the-mill-we-have-to-put-romance-in-this-movie-or-else-it-will-break-all-unspoken-entertainment-rules.

Siiiiigh...

(And yes, I know this should be about the first one, but I just decided to put my least favorite thing about the series)
"Isn't Fate artistic?"

icandowhatiwant
Dragon Friend

Vorpent vs. Potato
02 Mar 2015, 21:01
A lot of people are going to hate me for this, aren't they?
Alright... here goes.

Valka.
Nah. It is ok. I can see why you night think that. Personally, I believe that they should have done Valka a little differantly as well. Having read all of the books so far, I like the way that Valka was done in those. And briging her back in such a way seemed like a little to much to me. I mean, could she really have looked like that after 20 years having only fish and water? But even after all of that, I still like her. 'Cause, hey, she has a pretty cool dragon companion. :toothless: :valka:

Vorpent vs. Potato
Dragon Egg

Yes, I read all the books as well and I did like the was she was handled. Granted, she didn't play much of a roll until later in the series, her presence was acknowledged throughout. It set her part up nicely for when she was needed on stage.

Oh well. I suppose some things just don't translate well into movies, and perhaps this was on of those things.

Yes, Cloudjumper is indeed a very cool dragon companion :D
"Isn't Fate artistic?"