Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
How'd you end up in the fandom?
Topic Started: 25 Oct 2014, 17:08 (59130 Views)
ADFX-01-Morgan
Seath the Toothless

Hope_and_Heir
25 Oct 2014, 15:13
ADFX-01-Morgan
25 Oct 2014, 13:05
I managed to get my hands on a copy temporarily, and I just put it on when I had a quiet evening. So I would say I got into this fandom by accident.

Except there are no accidents.
I'm just gonna say that book reference just made me super happy and leave it at that :$
>MFW my Kung Fu Panda quote is misattributed to Dragons by accident.

Your happiness is a lie...

Steampunk! Airships! Aerial Battles! Dragons!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Vorpent vs. Potato
Dragon Egg

In late 2010, my sister and I were strolling down the clearance toy isle in Walmart. I glanced at the HTTYD toys briefly. I had not seen the movie at that point, but I did remember coming into the same store earlier in the year and seeing that strange black dragon everywhere I had turned.

"That was a weird movie," my sister commented.

I had been so enraged that she had seen a movie without me, to the point that I disregarded her comment.

"When did you see it?! Mom wouldn't let me!"

"At my friend's mom Tupperware party. Don't worry about it, it was a weird movie."

I took her word for it.

WORST.MISTAKE. EVER!!!!

I think about February of the next year, some close friends of family mentioned a movie their grandchildren had loved and invited us to come see it at their home.
I remember piling on their sofa with my whole family, even my Rottweiler (who we brought for some reason).

From the moment I heard the all-familiar "This is Berk..." to "...We have dragons!" I was glued to my seat, eyes plastered on the screen.
Any and all opinions I may have had before were gone. even my doggy liked it. She would growl in response to Toothless' purring.

I remember thinking "This movie didn't over do the romance! I actually ship them! The perfect balance for everything!" Of course, I was ten at the time. That was my logic.

My eleventh birthday was coming up the next month, and I took my mother shopping for my presents. First time I had ever done anything like that. I wiped out what was left of the HTTYD toys at Walmart. I remember fangirling over the last Red Death figure and the kid a few feet over giving me a weird look.

Not long after, I stumbled onto Berk's Grapevine, and the rest is history.

But the moral of the story is: Don't knock it 'til you try it. Don't take someone's opinion as you own. You never know, you could miss out on some of the best things life has to offer. :)
"Isn't Fate artistic?"

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Vorpent vs. Potato
11 Jan 2015, 23:09
But the moral of the story is: Don't knock it 'til you try it. Don't take someone's opinion as you own. You never know, you could miss out on some of the best things life has to offer. :)
That!

But to the topic, I'm kind of dissapointed with myself for not going into more detail like other people and I've seen people re-write their story so what the hell, here is my second go:

I went to see "Avatar" and one of the trailers played before it and all I was thinking was "Meh..." I did label it as "Maybe I'll watch it... maybe..." as it was from DreamWorks and I like them and everything. A few months went by and all the sudden I see that it's about to come out in my country that weekend and thought "Oh, it's that movie I saw the trailer for." When I checked the release dates, it was already running for a week in the US so I looked the movie on Wikipedia and saw that it had 100% at Rotten Tomatos and I just went "Woah!"

The movie comes out a day or 2 later, I actually went opening day because I remember seeing Tim Burton's "Alice in Wounderland" a few days before and I needed to see a good movie to help me forget it and a 100% seemed like a safe bet. So, I got my ticket, the 3D glasses(Which at the time we abysmal in that theater), went in thinking "Show me what you got 100% on RT!" and... It blew me away. The animation was amazing, the soundtrack was epic, the characters were so likeable and... you know... And even though the story was predictable, I didn't mind, it was just so amazing. Plus, the bit where Hiccup lost his leg caught me(And the entire gasping theater) off guard.

After that, my mom picked me up from the theater(Because she was nearby) and when she asked me how it was I pulled off my best Chester A. Bum impression(Of the TGWTG series, "Bum Reviews", which had its episode on HTTYD uploaded as I got home, Ironically) saying "OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!"

After that I found out that there were books, and to this day I only read the first one(Only one that's published here as far as I know), I watched the shorts when they came out, started following the TV series(Which I'll be honest I didn't like at the beginning but as it went on I started to open up to it) and then the second movie hype started...

Eventually, I came across all the FanFictions and even started writing some of my own, and then I found this site through a Wikipedia link of all things. I thought, "Hey! Why not?" and I was here ever since and I love it in here!

YAY for long post!

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

When HTTYD came out I was a huge fan of pretty much everything that had dragons in it.
But when I first saw the trailer I thought: "God, this movie looks so stupid. It has ugly dragons and it's most likely just one of those comedies with random jokes. I won't watch this, even though I love dragons."

Then, 2 years later I've been searching for a soundtrack from the movie "Bolt" and in the YouTube video suggestions I saw the track "Forbidden Friendship" from HTTYD. I don't know why, but I decided to give it a try and my mind was blown.
I immediatly wanted to watch the movie that has such a great soundtrack, because a good soundtrack often means the movie's good too.

So I watched in on YouTube and it exceeded all my expectations.
It's just the best movie ever! :D

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Theotherunknown
There were dragons, when I was a boy...

My younger brother got HTTYD 1 for Christmas and I ended up liking it more than he did. The rest is history.
How many times must I fix my signature over the years?

Pillow

[i]Chief of the Illuminati
[/i]

I don't really remember. It was probably my sister buying the DVD during one of her shopping sprees. I, of course, went to watch it out of sheer boredom on that one day, and, poof.
Spoiler: click to toggle

RiderofBerk
Member Avatar
Screaming Death

It was the day before spring break and my chemistry teacher usually showed the class an episode of myth busters at this time but for some reason, it was removed from Netflix. So her 8 year old daughter told her to show the class HTTYD 2 and that's what she did. But we didn't have enough time to finish but we got to the part where Hiccup meets Valka. Now, personally I was never really a fan of animated movies but this one just blew me away. When I got home that day, I watched the rest of HTTYD 2 and absolutely loved it. Then I watched the first one. But I still felt like something was missing. Since the second movie has so many differences and changes from the first one I was a little confused at what was going on. Then the next day, I looked up HTTYD on google and found out there were four short films so I watched all of them. Then I realized there were 40 tv show episodes so I watched them too and then I rewatched the second movie. I still could not keep track of all the dragon species so I found the wiki page and later I came here.

Tiawinney
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

im force by my friends, well i dont like it first but, after i relaize how cute hiccup was i start to like httyd fandom. and turns out httyd (expacially hiccstrid) give me more than 13 k readers in wattpad :D

sageman
Terrible Terror

httyd was always one of those films i would watch one day the trailer made it look good but i just never particularly bothered to go see it of buy it

Christmas just gone i was flicking through the channels and there it was just now starting so i watched it and i was amazed one of the few films that i sit back and think about what i just saw i was so amazed i torrented httyd2 there and then and watched that and while watching that i was downloading all the short films and tv episodes and then watched all them and all i hardly left my room for those 18 hours
FIGHT WAR NOT WARS
DESTROY POWER NOT PEOPLE

DragonLover1987
Dragon Princess

A friend gave me a case of DVDs and after watching an "animash" video on YouTube, it had a clip from the first movie and I saw the DVD in the case, watched it, loved it. Didn't become active in the fandom until sometime last month.

:) :P <3 :nightfuryegg: :alpha: 8)
Want to contact me on non-dragon sites? Here!:
Animal Jam: PokemonPikachu10661
Transformice: Vanillaratxx