Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
How'd you end up in the fandom?
Topic Started: 25 Feb 2016, 08:59 (59092 Views)
Puff
Keep smiling.
:)

Damn, this is an old thread. But anyway, here goes:

How to get Puff (formerly Tarch) into the fandom:
Step one: Have him see an HTTYD ad on TV.
Step two: Have him forget about it.
Step three: Have him discover HTTYD soundtrack on YouTube.
Step four: Let him be curious for about a month.
Step five: Convince him to watch the movie.
Step six: Watch him fall in love with it.
Step seven: Laugh at him watching it over and over and over and over and over and...
Step eight: Make him curious about Hiccstrid.
Step nine: Suggest him to search the Internet for Hiccstrid.
Step ten: Have him find FanFiction.net, deviantArt, and subsequently Tumblr.
Step eleven: Encourage him to start talking to people there.
Step twelve: Convince him to join Tumblr.

Achiement unlocked! :D

Seriously now. It happened sort of as written above, but I can mostly thank IcelandicEel for dragging me into the fandom itself. I somehow ended up in a chat on TinyChat, and by pure accident IcelandicEel happened to be there too. He was encouraging me to join Tumblr, and so I did. Since then, I've managed to leave, briefly rejoin, leave again, and now I ended up here. Quite a statistic there.

But yeah, the soundtrack was the real beginning for me. (not so much the ad on TV)
Blender is my <3 (my CGI thread)

If you need anything, feel free to PM me
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

AandHfan110
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I watched HTTYD in June 2012, when my parents had it in their DVD queue on Netflix, and it was sent out once it reached the top and one of the two dvds we had from Netflix got back to them. I watched with my dad and my brother and loved the film. I ended up watching it again this time with my mom so she could watch it. But pretty soon after that I forgot all about HTTYD and would not think about it again until the month before the second film came out. I bought HTTYD so I could watch it again before I saw HTTYD2. I went to see HTTYD2 on June 24, 2014 early in it's time in theathers. It was after watching HTTYD2 and loving it that I was pulled completely into the fandom. What pulled me into the fandom was Hiccup and Astrid's relationship, since I really loved seeing them as a couple and can't get enough of it. I ended up watching the associated TV show shortly after that in random order. Since then I have gotten a lot of HTTYD items. I now own all of riders of berk and defenders of berk on itunes. I also own both HTTYD and HTTYD2 on itunes in HD with extras, and the combined set of three shorts placed shortly after the first film on ITunes in HD. I also now own the two art books, the more recent To Berk and Beyond book, and four books that novelize the two films, a short, and a riders of berk episode. I also own the HTTYD and HTTYD2 soundtracks, with the second coming in a special pack with other things. I own build-a-bear toothless and build-a-bear stormfly, hiccup and astrid funko pop doll's, and an Astrid HTTYD2 poster which is on the wall. In short from all the stuff I have it is easy to see how big a fan of the HTTYD franchise I became after I was drawn into the fandom in the summer of 2014.

Zira Shadow
Skrill

At first I noticed a little book called "How To Train Your Dragon" at a bookstore, and I read it, it seemed pretty cool, then a few years later my friend talked me and my sister into watching it, she said it was a really good movie. At first I was skeptical, but I grew to love it!
PS At first I thought Fishlegs was the dragon and Meatlug was the dude. :) :) :) :)
Sister in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Huh, I hadn't realized I haven't said anything yet until now!
I was in 7th grade, we had just finished the new state test that had been implemented that year (it was March 2011). Our math and history teachers thought it would be nice to have us kick back and relax to a couple movies, and How To Train Your Dragon was one of them. I became obsessed since that day.

I loved the romance between Hiccup and Astrid, and it was that that really hooked me into the fandom. However, my views have changed since late last year and now I hardly care for ships. Now, the characters' individual and social growth and development matter more to me than anything else. That's one of two main reasons why I've stuck around.

But Speed Stingers are the most important.

I also have a love for biology and zoology, and the designs of the dragons that represent different organisms is really special to me. It's a real treat to look at a dragon and recognize all the different creatures it might have been based off of. The other reason why I'm still here.

But, I think I'll be around for a long time even after the trilogy is over. Once a Viking, always a Viking! :stoick:

Team Astrid
Deadly Nadder

I hadn't heard of it until HTTYD 2 came out, when I kept seeing posters and stuff on Wal-Mart. I didn't think it was anything worth watching at first, and I avoided it for two years. Then, one night, just around a year ago, we went to my friend's house. (That was not dramatic at all). Anyway, she has a knack for getting me to love things I originally wanted to avoid (Percy Jackson) and so she tells me and my sister, "Guys, I watched this a few weeks ago and now I'm in love." My sister really wanted to watch it, and apparently she'd been looking for it all this time. So they start the movie and I keep reading the book I was reading.
And then I hear the starting music, and the words, "This is Berk." I couldn't resist, I watched the entire thing with them. It was beautiful, I remember thinking "How do they do it?" when we saw forbidden friendship, fangirling when we watched Romantic Flight... When Ruffnut and Tuffnut fight over the shield at the beginning of the movie, I told my friend that "Wow, that girl [Ruffnut] is exactly like Reyna [Avilla Ramirez-Arellano]". Worst misunderstanding I've ever made ;) :ruffnut:

PigletGirl
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I've seen videos on YouTube and pictures about The Big Four (or Rise of the Brave Tangled Dragons). I didn't really know about How to train your dragon and rise of the guardians because when these movies came out I didn't know about it or I didn't care. I was already a huge fan of Tangled and Brave so they were the only 2 characters I was familiar with. And then I started seeing all the ads for HTTYD 2, and I finally decided to watch the first movie online. I actually really liked it so then I started watching all the episodes before the second movie came out.

And then the whole summer I just kept myself in my room watching the first movie and episodes over and over again. I can't believe this movie came out before Tangled did and I missed out on a lot.

HTTYDLover94
Dragon Egg

I was sick for 4 days and I felt like watching riders of berk, next thing you know, I'm obsessed

<3

mypartnerHiccup
Hiccup's Partner

Ok, well here's my story.
First of all from the very beginning, I watched HTTYD 1 and somehow, I had a twinkle in my eye for Hiccup.
And my Obsession started to grow!! And that's not all; for after that I started watching ALL OF HICCUP'S MOVIES!! From his first one to his TV shows all the way up to his second movie till his FINAL MOVIE!!!
I can't wait for his THIRD MOVIE!!!!
Then I found out about his group on YouTube, (The Big Four) to Tumblr, and I went up from their. To BERK'S GRAPEVINE!!!!!
AND THAT'S HOW I CAME TO THIS FANDOM.

Pretty sweet huh!

"Once a Partner, Always a Partner!"
Hiccup is mine! and Mine Alone!!
This is mypartnerHiccup signing off.

joxunen
Dragon Egg

How weird, I thought I had already told my story. But anyway...

I went to see HTTYD when it came to theaters in 2010. I was twelve. I liked it, it was funny and Toothless was really cute. Next christmas I got the DVD from my parents and after that I watched the movie a couple of more times. And then kind of forgot the whole movie...

...until in summer 2013 I saw the first teaser of HTTYD 2. I remembered how I'd liked the first movie, decided to watch it again and simply loved all of it: the voice actors, the characters, the soundtrack, those spectacular flying scenes... It was way better than I remembered.

In summer 2013 I also started to read the books. Now I'm reading How to Betray a Dragon's Hero. These books are really great and it's interesting to see how much the movie's/series' plot actually is like the books'! Now that I've read almost all of them, I find more and more similarities between the books and the movies and the series.

Oh and the soundtracks are my all-time favorites. <3 I've listened both of them thousands of times. I love especially John Powell's epic battle music, such like Battling the Green Death and Two Alphas. And Test Drive, which is not battle music but still as epic.

Seb
Dragon Egg

These have been somewhat interesting. :P I suppose I'll share.

One fateful month in 2011, my sister flew to Poland to visit our family. What did I decide to do every night? Watch movies on my iPad, of course. Not that there was anything stopping me at times she was home, I just had the idea. Among them were titles such as The Prince of Egypt, Rango, some other animated and live-action films, and with uncertainty, How to Train Your Dragon. I watched the trailer and didn't think much of it, looked a bit meh (truly, that trailer was really poor). I watched it and adored it! For the next few nights I watched it again and again. It was the first time I had loved a movie on such a level. The story, animation, music, characters, general design - all brilliant. Hiccup and Toothless' friendship was a thing to marvel. That's about it. :)

I annoy pretty much everyone about it now. I dragged some friends to see HTTYD2 twice when it came out. HTTYD3 can't come soon enough. :)