Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Which spin off would you like to see?
Drago's backstory; how Drago grew up and grew to become the villian he is. 7 (16%)
Valka's dragon sanctuary; What happened when her and Stoick were married and how her life changed when she was abducted, how she formed the dragon sanctuary, etc. 5 (11%)
Toothless' life before he met Hiccup, including what happened to his family, how and if they died out, etc. 9 (20%)
Toothless returning from a deep slumber to find Hiccup and the world he knew gone, and try to figure out what happened to him. 5 (11%)
How Eret came to work for Drago, how he got that infamous scar. A story about his life as a dragon trapper. 4 (9%)
A story about Hiccup and Astrid's children growing up in a world without dragons. 4 (9%)
All of them. 6 (13%)
None of them. 5 (11%)

If you could choose a HTTYD spin off...
Topic Started: 29 Jan 2015, 17:33 (4150 Views)
thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Ok so you may select up to three options, if you like more then three you may select all of them, or if you don't like any you may select none of them.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

Another story I would like (perhaps for a TV series) is what happenned to the Dragon Training Academy after Hiccup grew up and became chief. Surely he no longer has time for it and if it doesn't close down somebody else must take the leadership.
My dragon den:

DarkWing
Hatchling

Perhaps the initial encounter between civilization and dragons would be nice.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Those are both good ideas! Very interesting thoughts! :)

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

Personally, I'd like to see how Drago became how he is now :)

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

Greyliminator
Small home repairs viking

I want to see more of drago, an in-depth analysis of his character a few months ago showed that he has most likely more depth to him as we've seen from him. Most interesting thing about him is how he convinced his men that they're fighting for a good cause. For the same reason I want to see Eret's story, in a franchise with vikings and dragons I have seen surprisingly few actual viking-dragon battles.
Um.. Hi?

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

None. Neither the setting nor the secondary characters of HTTYD are sufficiently interesting or entertaining to justify a spinoff. For the record, they also don't have to be. A great movie can just be a great movie. Not everything needs to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

You are allowed your opinion. I respect that, but others opinions are just as important. Some people do believe these ideas and theirs are spin off worthy. So let people decide for themselves what they would like to see.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

The question that one should ask when making a spinoff (or a sequel, for that matter, though the answer is generally more obvious there) is, "What advantage does this have over making an original film?" Sometimes, there are legitimate benefits, generally because either the character or setting is so incredible, so distinctive, that it's simply impossible to replicate, and its strengths are enough to overcome the inherent weaknesses of a spinoff (see below).

So in regards to HTTYD, the question needs to be refined into "What is there about HTTYD's setting or secondary characters that is unique?" I certainly can't think of anything. All the ideas and character types have been done before. That's fine, as the original film uses those aspects more effectively than the vast majority of films, but it means that a spinoff is just limiting.

The basic problem with a spinoff is that you have to stick with the rules of the setting and/or the base characterisation of the character (a spinoff can pretty much be either a sequel or a prequel along the character's timeline, with you needing to have that base state in there either at the beginning or the end). This provides restrictions that cut off potential avenues for a good story.

Let's use one of those ideas for a movie where Toothless is the primary protagonist as the example, and I'll present the obvious problem: Toothless can't talk. Having a mute primary protagonist is such a huge obstacle that you have to possess an absurd amount of talent to do it, and no small amount of luck. If you make it an original film, however, you can use the same basic plot and themes, without that giant obstacle.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

DarkWing
Hatchling

@ Cartoon Freak. I'm fairly sure this thread was more of a fan-service idea; we're not really taking all the logistics into account when fantasizing of something we'd like to see. Besides, a lot of these characters are seen only in the context of Hiccup's story, so obviously Hiccup is the main focus, and the side characters are not as developed. While I do agree that HTTYD's side-characters can be weak, that doesn't mean they won't have the chance to flesh them out if an entire movie is dedicated to them.