Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Did Toothless draw... Hiccup?
Topic Started: 29 Sep 2014, 10:15 (3162 Views)
thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Don't see it yet? Look here...

Now look again...

What do you think? Did Toothless attempt to draw Hiccup?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

I've been thinking about that for a while, and I think it's possible. I'd always thought he was just scribbling, which is what he seemed to be doing in HTTYD 2 (when Valka and Cloudjumper were present). Toothless is a very intelligent dragon, though, so it's possible.
He does look back at Hiccup a few times, he could've been checking his "reference".

Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Pikey
Wow!

I'm sure the point was that he was intelligent even to attempt to draw Hiccup, let alone draw at all, as well the fact that he was copying what Hiccup was doing by finding the larger tree to draw with.

The question of whether his drawing looks like what he intended? Well, you could ask the same thing to the more unfortunate people with lackluster drawing skills. :P

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Yep that's Hiccup. Hiccup was drawing Toothless, and Toothless wanted to prove that he had equally good drawing skills!

PS - I realised that after watching the movie like 30 times, and when I did, I was grinning like a retard!

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

What about this?
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Pikey
Wow!

That is actually a pretty good analysis, but I can't help but feel that we're drawing resemblances from what the art direction probably intended to be a bunch of random lines. There is a game you can play with someone by drawing a medium-size random squiggle on paper and asking the other person to make an image using it. Usually you'll turn out with an okay result; sometimes not even recognising the original squiggle. As much as I would like it to be the intention, I expect a similar thing is happening here.

There's most likely no doubt that it was an attempt at drawing Hiccup though. :P

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

Maybe Dreamworks put it in there as like a hidden thing, like Disney does.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence and the animation team is laughing their heads off now because of how smart they were. :/
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

At first I thought he was drawing random squiggles too, but then someone did a meme caption thingy where Toothless was trying to draw Hiccup and it clicked in my brain that he WAS in fact trying to draw Hiccup :D DREAMWORKS, HOW ARE YOU SO AMAZING?
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

Pikey
Wow!

BerserkDragon
03 Oct 2014, 15:44
At first I thought he was drawing random squiggles too, but then someone did a meme caption thingy where Toothless was trying to draw Hiccup and it clicked in my brain that he WAS in fact trying to draw Hiccup :D DREAMWORKS, HOW ARE YOU SO AMAZING?
shrek 3

In all seriousness, does anyone really think it actually was supposed to resemble Hiccup in any way? I'm still tied to the 'random squiggles' deal, though like I said, the intention was there.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

dragons_ind
30 Sep 2014, 14:08

What about this?
I always thought it was a giant ear, but the hand works... *shrug*
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha