Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
If you were to reboot the franchise...
Topic Started: 14 Nov 2014, 07:25 (1710 Views)
hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Okay, something that I thought about a few days ago was that when one day, a few years after HTTYD 3 comes out, some other studio will pick up the rights to the entire franchise and reboot it for a new audiance members. Now, before anyone says anything, I don't want HTTYD to be rebooted but knowing how Hollywood works; I will not be suprised if this does happen sometime in the future.

So, let's assume they are rebooting the franchise and YOU(Whoever's reading this) are put in charge of directing/writing and somewhat producing this reboot. How would you do it? Animation or live action? How many movies? What would you include from the original franchise? What would you include from the original books? Any unused ideas you want to revive? Character personalities you want to change? Pretty much anything, how would you do it?

I would keep it animated(Because all the dragons will be CGI anyway, so might as well save time and money), I will try and aim at a trilogy because trilogies are THE-thing, I would keep Toothless the same as the films and probably how Vikings were at war with dragons, I would make Fishlegs Hiccup's best human friend like in the books and I would try and have Camicazi from the books there; Astrid or not, I don't think I will revise something that was scrapped and I would try to keep the characters the same as they were in the original franchise with maybe a tiny bit twicking here and there.

So, how would you do it?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Okay, something that I thought about a few days ago was that when one day, a few years after HTTYD 3 comes out, some other studio will pick up the rights to the entire franchise and reboot it for a new audiance members. Now, before anyone says anything, I don't want HTTYD to be rebooted but knowing how Hollywood works; I will not be suprised if this does happen sometime in the future.
Wow, you are officially more cynical than I am on this matter. Kudos.

Well, treating this as a thought exercise (because I don't think HTTYD is on the same pop-culture level as something like Spider-man, Batman, or Superman), I would only reboot the franchise from the second film onwards. Think what Superman Returns did (ignoring the third and fourth films, in that instance), and you have the right idea. I would then remake the second film using, at the very least, DeBlois' basic original ideas. So yeah, Valka as the villain and all that. The third film would then follow on from that, with Drago as the villain there as originally intended.

But yeah, that's only a thought exercise, for so many reasons.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Cartoon Freak
14 Nov 2014, 14:38
Quote:

Wow, you are officially more cynical than I am on this matter. Kudos.
There is no need to be cynical about this, that's how Hollywood works. Something stops happening, wait a few years, reboot it! I'm still standing by my words that in 6-7 years the "Harry Potter" films will be rebooted.

But I appreciate the complement, thank you :D

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

After all, the first Lord of the Rings movie was made in the late 70s, as compared to the PJ trilogy.
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

:$ animated version of the books. Mostly cause I'd like to see that....
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Mccallistair
Gronckle

I'd shun major film release and instead make it an animated tv series, albeit making it a drama marketed to late teenagers. ( hasn't been done before as far as I know, would be interesting to see)

I'd start Hiccup and the gang at around the age of 18, and while following the course of the first film closely enough, I'd take time to explore that interesting three week or so period between Hiccup shooting down Toothless to the kill ring. From the finale of the red death battle, we'd have some interlude episodes ala DOB that would give time for the Hiccstrid romance to develop (Because there just has to be Hiccstrid...)

By the start of season three I would start introducing Valka and Eret and start doing episodes devoted mostly to their conflict as Valka fights to save dragons from the latter. Hints at Drago on the horizon would then start being introduced as we follow Eret's story arc.

Eventually Hiccup and Valka would meet up and the conflict that Deblois had mentioned would have happened between them in early drafts of the second film script would occur for several episodes. Season four would mostly then comprise the battle with Drago, including much more intense and bloody battle scenes, and concluding much in the vein of the second film.

That's my vision for now.

scribblefoxx
Member Avatar
a smallish Viking with a longish name

Hope_and_Heir
14 Nov 2014, 16:52
:$ animated version of the books. Mostly cause I'd like to see that....
Oh my gods, that would be amazing. I'd definitely watch it.
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/Wy7QXhS.gif[/img][/center][c] [center] The past is another land, and we cannot go to visit. So, if I say there were [b]dragons[/b], and men who rode upon their backs, who alive has been there and can tell me that I'm wrong? [/center][c][center][img]http://i.imgur.com/jtHiNxQ.gif[/img][/center]

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

I would probably make it more similar to the books, but different enough to be its own story. Hiccup would be 17-18 and Fishlegs would be the scrawny kid from the books. I would use the idea of the books of having a rite of passage by training dragons and also having a riding and hunting dragon. Toothless would be the hunting dragon.
My dragon den: