Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
What makes the perfect How to Train Your Dragon Movie?
Topic Started: 29 Oct 2014, 18:21 (1850 Views)
DarkWing
Hatchling

Keep in mind that everything I say here is my opinion, feel free to counterargue - it'll spark a good discussion!

I've been wondering about this topic for a while now, and for me, the perfect HTTYD movie would possess the following triangle of characteristics:

- Simplicity
- Emotion conveyed through music and subtlety (i.e. no need for dialogue, relates to simplicity).
- Ambition grounded in a serious nature, and courage on the director's part to make certain decisions .

I find that the above covers the best parts of HTTYD 1 and 2.
For example, I found HTTYD 1 to be, in its essence, a very simple movie - less so than it's successor. The key issue was compelling, quite fundamental, yet focussed: Hiccup going against his society by befriending the dragons.

I felt that the best scenes in HTTYD 1 were the simple and 'clean' ones, such as the forbidden friendship scene, test drive, romantic flight, the final fight. It was focused, music-driven, but was not cluttered by dialogue or cheesy one liners from the other teenagers. It also makes the movie a lot more immersive, something that I find HTTYD to do very well.

The concept of simplicity also applies to character interactions. For me, an ideal HTTYD movie would only have Hiccup, Toothles,Stoick, Gobber and Astrid. Now that
Spoiler: click to toggle
, this causes a little concern for me. Removing the twins, Snotlout and Fishlegs, would eliminate pretty much the entirety of these problems for me. Think about it, what use do they serve in the film other than comic relief (which many find cheesy at times)?

HTTYD 2 did well in the ambition sector - though I want to clarify that ambition does not necessarily refer to the scale of things (i.e. thousands vs thousands of dragons). In a way, I felt that the key theme of HTTYD 1 was more ambitious than that of HTTYD 2 (opposing society's beliefs > rise to chieftainship and coming of age). However, what makes HTTYD distinct from many animated movies is its seriousness at times. It can be serious; I just wish they would let it be more consistent. Too often are serious and well constructed scenes ruined by a cringe-worthy comment from a supporting character.

HTTYD 2 had some beautiful shots; such as when we see Hiccup and Toothless falling, with the Bewilderbeast by their side, at dawn. Now this is where director's decision making can come in. Often I find when the directors make new styles for camera shots, that the movie comes off more original (take Tarantino for example). Examples I can find here are to just let scenes come to life on their own, no need to constantly keep switching. This sounds vague, but to give an example, when Toothless and Hiccup are flying through the sky in the link below:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 ... _below.png

Why not extend those shots for another 10 seconds, and not let those beautiful angles go to waste? It's more of a little nit pick of mine (another one being we need more night scenes!) Another example of

In essence, we just need to 'clear the junk' - make it simple, extract the most that you can out of a scene, and make it powerful! We also need the director to make big and difficult decisions: such as cutting out unnecessary characters, and sacrificing humour for an emotional scene instead. Also the director could take a Game of Thrones approach, with the 'villain' as such not being entirely clear, and up for interpretation (I think the first movie did that better than the second).

It's a shame that these decisions will likely be hindered by economic factors, because 'kids' like cheesy humour, and it sells better. I just hope that someday HTTYD can have the courage to step outside these boundaries, and solidly place its mark in movie history. If there was any way we could directly communicate to the director, please do tell, no matter how unlikely doing so will successfully change a movie's production. Perhaps it's too late for HTTYD 3... perhaps they will consider remaking these movies in 20 years or so... who knows?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

AMO1912
Member Avatar
HTTYD Series Lover

I just have one disagreement... The other characters are not only there to sell the movie to the kids but to give the viewer a feel that Hiccup is different in his society, he is not like the others his age. It gives Stoick the reason to be disappointed in his son because he doesnt fit in with the kids his age.
Also in the series, would there be a dragon training academy if there wasn't any dragon riders? It's like a class, most schools have 25-30 students in there class and that effects how the students learn. I mean that is what the first series was about, training dragons and learning to live with them together as an island.
I think that's all I have to say but if anyone disagrees with me I would like to hear what's in your mind.
"What do you say Bud? Should we go for another flight?" - Hiccup

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

I think you have really hit the nail on the head with that. The reason why I fell in love with the first movie was because of its beautiful simplicity, it had those kind of moments that make you laugh, cry, and smile so hard your face hurts. Pretty much, it was the kind of legendary childrens' film that wasn't overcrowded with corny characters and Disney-esque stereotypes. It left room for the most gorgeous musical scenes to shine through.

The sequel, however, is a very different story. Granted, it wasn't the same as the original, it wasn't as simple, but it still worked. There really is no use comparing the two movies to eachother, because they are totally different. The sequel was a lot more "busy", nearly rushed. I didn't feel as though I had the time to stop and appreciate every scene like I did in the first movie, but the storyline was fantastic, and I loved all the new characters.

If I had to choose a "style" for the third movie to be in, I would lean towards the first movie's, although Dean has hinted that the sequel would be the darkest instalment of the three. I'm hoping the third film will really hit those emotional scenes well, and pull at the heartstrings to cement this trilogy's place among the greatest movies of all time. It really is like no other animated film series, it touches everyone in all walks of life, and takes risks that noone but Dreamworks could pull off. And it will go down in history for those things.
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.

DarkWing
Hatchling

Quote:

I just have one disagreement... The other characters are not only there to sell the movie to the kids but to give the viewer a feel that Hiccup is different in his society, he is not like the others his age. It gives Stoick the reason to be disappointed in his son because he doesnt fit in with the kids his age.
Also in the series, would there be a dragon training academy if there wasn't any dragon riders? It's like a class, most schools have 25-30 students in there class and that effects how the students learn. I mean that is what the first series was about, training dragons and learning to live with them together as an island.

While I do agree with the fact that it is important to show Hiccup's alienation from his society, there are several other/ better ways of doing this than what is presently being done. Besides, my main problem with the other teenager's were that they were used as comedic relief as well - this is not neccessary to show how Hiccup is isolated in any way.

As for the tv series; it led on from the movie. It would be as simple as: no teenagers in movie? No teenagers in the show. It would not be particularly challenging to convey the 'training and cohabiting with dragons' theme without using the supporting characters they are currently.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I personally can't imagine a HTTYD without teens.

What you guys are saying about comedic relief is true, but remember, this isn't aimed at just adults and teens. There are kids watching, and I think the comments in HTTYD 2 were not necessary, but it was IDK, normal.

You can't expect an animated movie to be serious the whole time. There's a reason that mostly only kids watch cartoons.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

DarkWing
30 Oct 2014, 19:45
Quote:

As for the tv series; it led on from the movie. It would be as simple as: no teenagers in movie? No teenagers in the show. It would not be particularly challenging to convey the 'training and cohabiting with dragons' theme without using the supporting characters they are currently.

The TV series wouldn't even exist if the teenagers weren't part of the movie. It's main purpose is giving the side characters who don't have much screentime in the movie their chance to shine.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

DarkWing
Hatchling

TheBlackFluffyThing
12 Nov 2014, 17:30
DarkWing
Quote:

The TV series wouldn't even exist if the teenagers weren't part of the movie. It's main purpose is giving the side characters who don't have much screentime in the movie their chance to shine.
May I then add that those characters managed to successfully break several scenes in the movie given their limited time?

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

DarkWing
13 Nov 2014, 15:39
TheBlackFluffyThing
12 Nov 2014, 17:30
DarkWing

May I then add that those characters managed to successfully break several scenes in the movie given their limited time?
I totally agree, they really ruined some scenes, I just meant that the side characters are the purpose of the TV series existance.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.