Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Which spin off would you like to see?
Drago's backstory; how Drago grew up and grew to become the villian he is. 7 (16%)
Valka's dragon sanctuary; What happened when her and Stoick were married and how her life changed when she was abducted, how she formed the dragon sanctuary, etc. 5 (11%)
Toothless' life before he met Hiccup, including what happened to his family, how and if they died out, etc. 9 (20%)
Toothless returning from a deep slumber to find Hiccup and the world he knew gone, and try to figure out what happened to him. 5 (11%)
How Eret came to work for Drago, how he got that infamous scar. A story about his life as a dragon trapper. 4 (9%)
A story about Hiccup and Astrid's children growing up in a world without dragons. 4 (9%)
All of them. 6 (13%)
None of them. 5 (11%)

If you could choose a HTTYD spin off...
Topic Started: 30 Jan 2015, 12:15 (4209 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

@ Cartoon Freak. I'm fairly sure this thread was more of a fan-service idea; we're not really taking all the logistics into account when fantasizing of something we'd like to see. Besides, a lot of these characters are seen only in the context of Hiccup's story, so obviously Hiccup is the main focus, and the side characters are not as developed. While I do agree that HTTYD's side-characters can be weak, that doesn't mean they won't have the chance to flesh them out if an entire movie is dedicated to them.
If we're just going with what we're fantasising about, is anyone's answer honestly, "More sequels, spinoffs, remakes, reboots, crossovers, and anything other than an original idea"? Isn't that exactly what's wrong with Hollywood, to the extent that everyone who gives the slightest trace of a care about film as an artistic medium knows this?

And again, when it comes to expanding on characters, why not just create new characters and new settings, so that you're not restricted by what's come before? Just let a good movie be a good movie, and leave all the sequels and spinoffs to Marvel, the one studio that consistently gets them right.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pillow

[i]Chief of the Illuminati
[/i]

Cartoon Freak
30 Jan 2015, 16:15
Quote:

@ Cartoon Freak. I'm fairly sure this thread was more of a fan-service idea; we're not really taking all the logistics into account when fantasizing of something we'd like to see. Besides, a lot of these characters are seen only in the context of Hiccup's story, so obviously Hiccup is the main focus, and the side characters are not as developed. While I do agree that HTTYD's side-characters can be weak, that doesn't mean they won't have the chance to flesh them out if an entire movie is dedicated to them.
If we're just going with what we're fantasising about, is anyone's answer honestly, "More sequels, spinoffs, remakes, reboots, crossovers, and anything other than an original idea"? Isn't that exactly what's wrong with Hollywood, to the extent that everyone who gives the slightest trace of a care about film as an artistic medium knows this?

And again, when it comes to expanding on characters, why not just create new characters and new settings, so that you're not restricted by what's come before? Just let a good movie be a good movie, and leave all the sequels and spinoffs to Marvel, the one studio that consistently gets them right.
I think that's a very pessimistic view; that DWA will not, and will never, be able to pull off a good sequel. There has to be a first time to everything, no?

Also, whether a sequel is "good" is subjective. For example, many people like The Avengers, but I find it stupid.
Spoiler: click to toggle

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Honestly no spire off is needed. This is a story about Hiccup and his drago not Hiccup and the adventures of all of these secondary characters.

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I think some of these would work well as short films, but not as feature films. I chose the Valka's dragon sanctuary idea. My second choice would be Toothless before he met Hiccup (the only reason I didn't select it is that I'm not sure DreamWorks could pull it off).

I think a feature film needs to be about Hiccup and Toothless' adventures; otherwise original ideas should take precedence.

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

I'd be most interested in the histories of the characters.
That's why I chose Toothless' life before he met Hiccup and Eret's life as a dragon trapper.

I honestly think Valka's story is too similar to Hiccup's to be interesting and more about Drago might be covered in the 3rd movie.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Toothless backstory!! 100% yes, just yes!
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I think that's a very pessimistic view; that DWA will not, and will never, be able to pull off a good sequel. There has to be a first time to everything, no?
That's not at all what I'm saying*; I'm simply saying that an original film is surely something worth getting excited about, because at least it's a novelty. On the other hand, sequels, spinoffs, remakes, and reboots, are a dime a dozen. Sure, sometimes they're good, but (outside of Marvel Studios) those are the exception rather than the rule. Even then, they're still just more of what we've seen before.

*For what it's worth, I do consider it true that Dreamworks have yet to produce a good sequel. They have produced good films that happen to be sequels (HTTYD 2 is an example), but that's not the same thing. A good sequel should increase the average quality of the series. This can be done by either being a better film than the original, or by improving the original in some way (answering questions that the original film left unanswered is one way this can be done). To put it simply, Dreamworks have yet to do this with one of their sequels, with Kung Fu Panda 2 being the closest.

And in that regard, why on earth should I expect them to do any better now? Insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results.
Quote:

Also, whether a sequel is "good" is subjective. For example, many people like The Avengers, but I find it stupid.
There are certain objective standards of quality (e.g. whether or not the plot makes sense), and by those, the Avengers is a good film. Overrated, quite possibly, but that's a very different thing. HTTYD 2 is overrated, but still good. More importantly, it is a great spinoff (it's really more that than a sequel), since it brings some closure to quite a few plot threads from earlier films in the MCU.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

DarkWing
Hatchling

Quote:

I reiterate my point, this is about what fans would like to see personally, not about what is objectively better. Sure, I advocate Hollywood creating new ideas rather than rehashing old ones, but you have to understand that when fans get invested in lore, and this truly is a fan-centered issue, they want to see adaptions or extensions of things they already see in the canon - and not suddenly want to see new characters. You form a connection, and like to know more about pre-existing characters.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I reiterate my point, this is about what fans would like to see personally, not about what is objectively better. Sure, I advocate Hollywood creating new ideas rather than rehashing old ones, but you have to understand that when fans get invested in lore, and this truly is a fan-centered issue, they want to see adaptions or extensions of things they already see in the canon - and not suddenly want to see new characters. You form a connection, and like to know more about pre-existing characters.
Do we really want to see our favourite franchise get run into the ground? Because that's all that ever happens when franchises get extended beyond their natural lifespan.

It's much better to have a small amount of material, at high quality, than loads of material at mediocre quality.

DarkWing
Hatchling

Except the niche ideas that fans want to see, rarely, RARELY, is what the companies end up producing because they also have to appeal to the millions of non-die-hard fans. Bear in mind that this thread is about IF you could choose a spin off, so it's assuming DW decides to make a spin off in the first place, which I admit they are notorious for. You still don't seem to get the point that this is not what the fans want the company to produce, this is just what they would like to see. I'm sure if it came down to a serious, reasoned, discussed decision from fans as to what DW would produce, it wouldn't be shallow spin-offs.