Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Which spin off would you like to see?
Drago's backstory; how Drago grew up and grew to become the villian he is. 7 (16%)
Valka's dragon sanctuary; What happened when her and Stoick were married and how her life changed when she was abducted, how she formed the dragon sanctuary, etc. 5 (11%)
Toothless' life before he met Hiccup, including what happened to his family, how and if they died out, etc. 9 (20%)
Toothless returning from a deep slumber to find Hiccup and the world he knew gone, and try to figure out what happened to him. 5 (11%)
How Eret came to work for Drago, how he got that infamous scar. A story about his life as a dragon trapper. 4 (9%)
A story about Hiccup and Astrid's children growing up in a world without dragons. 4 (9%)
All of them. 6 (13%)
None of them. 5 (11%)

If you could choose a HTTYD spin off...
Topic Started: 01 Feb 2015, 09:01 (4217 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Except the niche ideas that fans want to see, rarely, RARELY, is what the companies end up producing because they also have to appeal to the millions of non-die-hard fans. Bear in mind that this thread is about IF you could choose a spin off, so it's assuming DW decides to make a spin off in the first place, which I admit they are notorious for. You still don't seem to get the point that this is not what the fans want the company to produce, this is just what they would like to see. I'm sure if it came down to a serious, reasoned, discussed decision from fans as to what DW would produce, it wouldn't be shallow spin-offs.
There's an option on that poll for "none". That is the option I'm arguing for, and I'm as entitled to do that as anyone else is to argue for their doomed spinoff of choice. In the end, none of these ideas would be as good as the original film, because they're all the artistic equivalent of scraps you throw down to your dog. Therefore, none of them should be made, so if I had the choice, none of them would be made.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

DarkWing
Hatchling

I never argued that these ideas were better than the original movie. And once again you ignored the point that this is not necessarily what fans want DW to produce, it's something nice that they would like to see, but i'm sure we're all in agreement that if we were given the option between a spin-off and an original IP, we would go for the latter. You also missed, once again, that this is assuming a spin-off is made, not a new title.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I never argued that these ideas were better than the original movie. And once again you ignored the point that this is not necessarily what fans want DW to produce, it's something nice that they would like to see, but i'm sure we're all in agreement that if we were given the option between a spin-off and an original IP, we would go for the latter. You also missed, once again, that this is assuming a spin-off is made, not a new title.
1. Again, there's an option on the poll for "none". Therefore, if a person chooses, say, the Valka spinoff, then they are saying that they would rather Dreamworks produced this spinoff than produced no spinoff. In other words, they are saying that they want this spinoff to be made.

2. A spinoff follows the same basic measures as a sequel: if it increases the average quality of the franchise, then it's a good spinoff or sequel; if it decreases the average quality of the franchise, then it's a bad spinoff or sequel. A spinoff/sequel can raise the average quality of the franchise by either being better than the original, or by making the original better in some way. The former is, for all intents and purposes, impossible with spinoffs (unless they're planned that way from the beginning, as with the Marvel Cinematic Universe), as they're inherently second-rate ideas, otherwise the producers would have gone with that idea in the first place. The latter is certainly possible, but still difficult, and the opposite (making the original film worse in some way) is far more probable. Therefore, why would any fan of the original want a spinoff, if they are hypothetically given the choice regarding which spinoff, if any, will be made.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I voted for none of the above.

Prequels detailing the early lives of Valka, Drago, or Eret- It's true that HTTYD 2 probably could have done a better job giving these characters backstories and fleshed out motivations, but I don't care about them nearly enough to see an entire movie about it nor do I think there's even particularly enough material there to make such a movie in the first place.

Past/future Toothless- I think Toothless is fine the way he is. A young dragon of a rare species who befriends the young protagonist. Giving him his own elaborate history before meeting Hiccup honestly seems a bit over the top not to mention difficult since he doesn't talk as has already been mentioned.

The idea of him waking up at some point in the future doesn't sound very workable either. Since the end of the book series/movie trilogy is presumably going to tell us why there aren't dragons in our time, that would necessitate setting this plot in some time later than the present, and using the same character from a movie involving Vikings for a plot set post-2018 just sounds desperate.

Hiccup and Astrid's kids- This is the most organic idea presented in the choices, and I do care about Hiccup and Astrid. That being said, I'm a firm believer that good stories need a good ending, and this premise strays towards never-ending sequel territory. I'd rather simply have a strong finish to Hiccup's story and leave things there. Not to mention that involving the children in events significant enough to warrant a movie in the first place could pretty easily start scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as plots go. By the end of HTTYD 3, Berk will have already seen more than its share of peril.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

I have a terrible feeling that Dean is going to try to answer all of these in HTTYD 3 and end up biting more than anyone can actually chew :(

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

The one about Toothless sleeping is just cruel. But I still want it.
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?