Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
toothless's origans?
Topic Started: 19 Jul 2015, 01:13 (1852 Views)
draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Where was toothless born? ^)
Or where did he come from?
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

Assuming dragon and human years are the same he would have been born/hatched around the time when Valka was taken. There isn't any mention of Night Furies in the flashback so it can be assumed they were nearly extinct by then.
Most sources seem to suggest that Strike class dragons are very rare anyway. It could be a bit like the Red Death in that the hatchlings fight it each other until one remains.
(this will probably be shot full of holes)

draco

Evan Electric Eel III
19 Jul 2015, 11:42
Assuming dragon and human years are the same he would have been born/hatched around the time when Valka was taken. There isn't any mention of Night Furies in the flashback so it can be assumed they were nearly extinct by then.
Most sources seem to suggest that Strike class dragons are very rare anyway. It could be a bit like the Red Death in that the hatchlings fight it each other until one remains.
Ok, in httyd2 when valka saw toothless. Didn't she say he was the same age as hiccup?
So that would suggest toothless was hatched around the same time as hiccups birth.
And where he came from is still unknown.

Toothless, alpha dragon.

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

draco
19 Jul 2015, 16:46
Evan Electric Eel III
Ok, in httyd2 when valka saw toothless. Didn't she say he was the same age as hiccup?
So that would suggest toothless was hatched around the same time as hiccups birth.
Unless dragon age and human age is not counted the same way (like humans and cats for example). Then he could be way older/younger, since for all we know, dragons could live for hundreds of years.

idk just thinking aloud
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

draco

Whitefang
19 Jul 2015, 16:53
draco
19 Jul 2015, 16:46
Evan Electric Eel III
Unless dragon age and human age is not counted the same way (like humans and cats for example). Then he could be way older/younger, since for all we know, dragons could live for hundreds of years.

idk just thinking aloud
Good point, I haven't thought about that. Then toothless's age could be unknown.

Toothless, alpha dragon.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

What if Night Furies aren't from around the Norwegian Sea-area where Berk and the other discovered islands are set?

Perhaps higher concentrated populations [used to] reside in the remoteness of Iceland or in the dense forests of Norway. Night Furies may not be native to the archipelago, but live far away where, as seclusive dragons, can live up to their mysterious nature. Norway would be my best guess for two reasons:

1. Plenty of forest cover to hide in during the day when they usually aren't hunting/active (they'd do best during the night because of their stealth and color), as well as more space to shelter more Night Furies.

2. Eret's Fort is closest to the mainland. Why would Eret's Fort location matter? Going back to the beginning of HtTYD2, Eret mentioned how he thought all Night Furies were gone for good and was able to recognize Toothless' species. The only way he could know what Night Furies looked like let alone know what the status on their population was was if he set up base close enough to their natural territory to observe them and their habits often. Look at the background in the scene where Hiccup and Astrid are flying out to investigate the fort that was destroyed by Valka's Bewilderbeast and you'll see just how close they are to the Norwegian coast. If he noticed less activity from these dragons, he probably assumed Night Furies were going extinct and eventually, for some unknown reason, stop seeing and hearing them entirely.

I don't think Night Furies would live out on the islands surrounding Berk because unless Eret spent a lot of time on one island, or caught many of them in his traps, he wouldn't have gotten the time to observe Night Furies that much. So Toothless could be from the mainland and then the Red Death ran into him and then forced him, like the rest of her slave-dragons, to bring her food, thus he ended up living on Dragon Island near Berk.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

VeloYourSwaggyDragon

2. Eret's Fort is closest to the mainland. Why would Eret's Fort location matter? Going back to the beginning of HtTYD2, Eret mentioned how he thought all Night Furies were gone for good and was able to recognize Toothless' species. The only way he could know what Night Furies looked like let alone know what the status on their population was was if he set up base close enough to their natural territory to observe them and their habits often. Look at the background in the scene where Hiccup and Astrid are flying out to investigate the fort that was destroyed by Valka's Bewilderbeast and you'll see just how close they are to the Norwegian coast. If he noticed less activity from these dragons, he probably assumed Night Furies were going extinct and eventually, for some unknown reason, stop seeing and hearing them entirely.
Given how Eret talks in the movie I feel that may have been his first time seeing a Nightfury in person. So on't think he had captured any before that. Also I feel that Nightfuries (again this is because the way people talk in the movies) have been/going "extinct" for awhile not just recently. Although with that said the only place we have any reference to is Berk and to some degree the archipelago. So either this idea or your's works really at least until were given more context.

Something I do think we can say as a definitive though, is that Nightfuries are or were wide spread at some point in time. (Or they may have migrated during different seasons or to mate.) Look at Eret he's definitely not from the archipelago yet he knew what a Nightfury looked like. How would he know this unless he's heard of them before from somewhere. So with how everyone knows what they look and given how rare people in the movies seem to talk about them being. I would say it's safe to assume that Nightfuries probably traveled quite a bit moving from place to place.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Demonwolf002
20 Jul 2015, 22:01
Something I do think we can say as a definitive though, is that Nightfuries are or were wide spread at some point in time. (Or they may have migrated during different seasons or to mate.) Look at Eret he's definitely not from the archipelago yet he knew what a Nightfury looked like. How would he know this unless he's heard of them before from somewhere. So with how everyone knows what they look and given how rare people in the movies seem to talk about them being. I would say it's safe to assume that Nightfuries probably traveled quite a bit moving from place to place.
You've got a good point, he might have gotten the basic rundown about Night Furies from elsewhere or wherever he came from.

If Night Furies migrate a lot, that would also mean they aren't territorial, but very solitary. Which could also be behind why they are assumed to be so rare/extinct. If this event of "extinction" has been happening over quite some time, and it's only that the Night Furies are just migrating, they may be migrating further and further away from each other (if there are still more of them out there). If this were to make more sense from an evolutionary or survival standpoint, then Night Furies would have to be mass migrating to a completely different land still unpopulated by connected civilizations.