Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Wings and Tails
Topic Started: 22 Jul 2015, 17:23 (1897 Views)
RiderofBerk
Member Avatar
Screaming Death

At one point in the movie, Gobber and the kids are sitting around a fire and Snotlout says, "I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!." Gobber replies, "Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." I didn't think much of it at the time but later I realized none of the dragons shown in the movie except toothless have wings on their tails. Up until this point no has seen a nightfury except for Hiccup. So how did Gobber know that if you cut off a dragon's tail, it can no longer fly? Even if you look in the book of dragons, only the scauldron has small wings on its tail so it would seem kind of pointless to give advice that would only apply to one dragon especially one they don't even encounter. Was this a mistake or is there an explanation that I'm just not seeing?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless123
Night Fury

Fanfic time! XD

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Some animals can't balance without their tails. So it would make sense that dragons couldn't either. It would probably greatly hinder their flying.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Hope_and_Heir
22 Jul 2015, 22:33
Some animals can't balance without their tails. So it would make sense that dragons couldn't either. It would probably greatly hinder their flying.
Didn't some animals like t-rex's and other dinosaurs need their tails for completely for balance?

I guess that would make sense for dragons as well then
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

Night fury fire
22 Jul 2015, 23:40
Hope_and_Heir
22 Jul 2015, 22:33
Didn't some animals like t-rex's and other dinosaurs need their tails for completely for balance?

I guess that would make sense for dragons as well then
*science Whitefang flies in through the window*

Yeah, a lot of dinosaurs did. It's explained here. Kangaroos do as well, I believe. So it makes sense that bipedal dragons such as Nadders would need a tail.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

I will point out that Gobbler said wings and tails not wings ON tails.