Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
HTTYD and Big Hero 6 - Similarities (SPOILERS!)
Topic Started: 18 Nov 2015, 21:30 (36942 Views)
vanbluedragon
Dragon Egg

When I was watching Big Hero 6 I realized there are a TON of similarities between BH6 and HTTYD, particularly between Hiro/Beymax and Hiccup/Toothless. So I came up with a list of things I thought that were similar between the movies. This is only my opinions on the two movies, these connections are in no way official. This list is in no particular order. This will take into account both HTTYD movies, not the TV show episodes, and the BH6 movie only. Spoilers for all three movies.
Please list any that I haven't come up with! ^_^

!!!SPOILERS!!! :O

Hiccup and Hiro
  • Both suffer the death of a family member (Stoick, Tadashi)
  • Both find a friend in their time of need (Toothless, Beymax)
  • Both are inventors. Their inventions are created with the intention of helping others or making lives better
  • Both have a flight sequence in their movies
  • Beymax and Hiro go alone. Toothless and Hiccup fly with Astrid. Notably, they both fly over water.
  • Both have missing biological mothers - Hiro’s aunt Cass acts as a mother figure. Valka is missing until HTTYD 2.
  • Both use their brains over brawn. Both are physically weak and rely on their partners (Toothless and Beymax) in combat.
  • Similar hair styles
  • Both are leaders in their groups
Toothless and Beymax
  • Both arrive when their partners needed them most (Hiro after the death of Tadashi, Hiccup when he needs to prove himself to his father)
  • Guardian characters, protectors
  • Both have been turned evil/brainwashed as a result of outside forces (Toothless by Drago, Beymax by Hiro’s combat chip)
  • Can fly but require artificial devices and help from their partner to do so (Toothless’ tail, Beymax’s armor)
  • Both have dramatic mood shifts, in a sense (Toothless’ mood can change dramatically, Beymax’s nature
  • comes from his data chips: a good chip Tadashi created and a violent combat chip Hiro created)
  • Both have been in near death or death experiences for their partners (Toothless diving into the Red
  • Death’s flames to save Hiccup, Beymax shooting his arm to get Hiro out of the time warp)
  • They both wear red (Toothless’ tail and war paint, Beymax’s armor)
The Big Hero 6 = the number of members in each group are the same
  • HTTYD - Hiccup, Astrid, Fishlegs, Snotlout, Tuffnut, Ruffnut (6)
  • BH6 - Hiro, GoGo, Wasabi, Honey Lemon, Fred, Beymax (6)
    However, none of the characters seem to match up personality wise.
Villains = Drago Bludvist and Yokai (Robert Callaghan)
  • Both become evil in a lust for revenge as a result of losing something personal to them (Drago for the loss of his arm and death of his tribe to dragons, Callaghan for the loss of his daughter in the time warp)
  • Both are evil opposites of their movie’s protagonist (Drago is an evil dragon trainer, Callaghan is an evil inventor)
  • Both seem to stubbornly refuse to realize what Hiccup and Hiro have realized (Hiccup realizes the partnership with a dragon is a deep connection based on trust, Hiro realizes he must move on after Tadashi’s death = both villains refuse to see these revelations)
  • Both are never confirmed as having died (Drago escapes with his Bewilderbeast, Callaghan is arrested)

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

If I may add some things:
-T.J Miller is in both movies and he plays pretty much the same character.
-When Hiccup first flies on Toothless and when Hiro first tests Baymax's flight armor, both use the line "We're gonna take this slow".
-Same scenes feature the pair testing their manuvering by flying past some things that are in their way(Rocks for Hiccup and Toothless, wind torbines for Hiro and Baymax) and when they successed both Hiccup and Hiro scream yes while throwing their arms in the air.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

To small points, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
vanblurdragon

Both become evil in a lust for revenge as a result of losing something personal to them (Drago for the loss of his arm and death of his tribe to dragons
I'm not sure I'd say Drago is out for revenge, at least not based off what we've seen so far. I'd say he's more so now a character who's doing what he's doing because he saw first hand the destructive force dragons can wield and the fear they can breed within people. Being someone who lived through that and experienced that same fear he ends up wanting that power for himself. Not to say he couldn't have started off by wanting vengeance, and then through the course of that learning what he could do with dragons, and becoming the character we saw in the second movie. But I wouldn't personally say revenge is his motivator anymore nor was it his motivator in the second movie.

vanbluedragon

Both seem to stubbornly refuse to realize what Hiccup and Hiro have realized (Hiccup realizes the partnership with a dragon is a deep connection based on trust, Hiro realizes he must move on after Tadashi’s death = both villains refuse to see these revelations)
Again I'd disagree with this one to, I can't say anything for Big Hero 6. (haven't seen it) But for Drago I'd lean more towards the idea that he does see what Hiccup's trying to get across to some degree. It's just that he doesn't care.

Just to make sure this isn't me disagreeing with you these movies do have similarities, and they're going to. Considering they're both retellings and deviations of "The boy and his X" story. You could probably find quite a few similarities from quite a few things. I just feel from seeing HTTYD2, from what I know of BH6, and how you put it in your list the villains feel quite different.

See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

vanbluedragon
Dragon Egg

Yeah when I came up with the villian similarities list, I leaned pretty heavily on BH6 because Drago is so... bland. He didnt have alot of development compared to Callaghan, which is pathetic in my opinion. Callahan is probably one fo the worst Disney villains in my opinion - they sort of pushed alot of blame on him towards the end of the movie. And admittedly, Drago is pretty weak in HTTYD 2, compared to the more dynamic Alvin and Dagur (then again the movie doesnt have enough time to develop him really)
And Callaghan is a strange villain, especially for Disney standards. He doesnt make alot of sense to me and is kinda abruptly just thrown in... the trailers do not hint at him at all and he just became evil very suddenly. Its hard to explain without watching the actual movie. He really really threw me off when I saw it.

I can see where you are coming from. Drago doesnt really care about dragon training like Hiccup nor does he really seem to be out for revenge. Just power and control, i suppose... -_-

But the loss of his arm started on his landslide to evil, very similar to Callaghan. Callaghan started at first to just get revenge for his daugther, to taking on an entire company, to literally trying to destroy SanfranTokyo. Like Drago, it starts with revenge but then escalates to something much more.
This connects with my second point being that they refused to see what the hero sees. They kept going on this cycle of revenge and hatred which led up to where they are in the movies.
Perhaps I should have said that the heroes could have ended up just like them. The villians can maybe be seen as evil perversions of the heroes? :blink:

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

vanbluedragon

But the loss of his arm started on his landslide to evil, very similar to Callaghan. Callaghan started at first to just get revenge for his daugther, to taking on an entire company, to literally trying to destroy SanfranTokyo. Like Drago, it starts with revenge but then escalates to something much more. This connects with my second point being that they refused to see what the hero sees. They kept going on this cycle of revenge and hatred which led up to where they are in the movies.
I didn't know this, I haven't seen the movie yet, but since this is the case then you're right it does line up a lot better with the point.

vanbluedragon

Perhaps I should have said that the heroes could have ended up just like them. The villians can maybe be seen as evil perversions of the heroes? :blink:
I'd say this is a great similarity between the two. Both movies seem to want to draw comparisons between the protagonists and the antagonists. It's a great subtle way to draw attention to the fact that good and evil isn't always easy and the line can be very easily crossed. And the situations of the Protagonist and Antagonist could easily be reversed if things happened differently.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.