Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The kids parents
Topic Started: 29 Jul 2016, 05:09 (42830 Views)
draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Some of us havent read the books.
Can someone that has tell us about their parents. We know about hiccups dad,and snotlouts dad.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

DragonbackVoyager
Hideous Zippleback

Can you explain the question a little more? Do you want to know the differences in the parents between the books and the movies?

The best Secret Odin GIF(t) ever, made for me by DeWhite! Thank you! :D

draco

Im asking who are the other kids parents, what are their names, what are they like. We hear almost nothing about them in the series or movies. Does the books talk about them?

Toothless, alpha dragon.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Well Ruff and Tuff don't really have book counterparts in and of themselves so not much to really talk about there. Astrid is again (in my opinion) a character who has no book counter part so again not much you can say. I know some people would say Camicazi is her counterpart and who Astrid is based off of, but I feel they're fairly different from one another and serve fairly different purposes.

Now book Fishlegs would be the only one you could really talk about concerning his parents. I think it's worth keeping in mind though that the character in the books isn't the same character in the movie, so the parents in the book would definitely not be the same as in the movie. Now with that said the book series does make it seem that Fishlegs is an orphan for fairly particular plot reasons, maybe not hugely important but things that do play there role in the story nevertheless.
So before anyone answers who they are I feel it would be important to ask... Do you plan on reading the books, and do you care about spoilers?

I'd also suggest if someone answers before me especially concerning Fishlegs that they do it inside of a spoiler tag. Just for those who may want to avoid it.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

Well, relating to the show, each character has, at one point, made a remark about their parents.
Note: All quotes are relative. I can;t remember everything :P

Snotlout:
Dad - Spitelout: Pretty self explanatory, we know him from movies and tv show

Mom - unknown: Referenced in RttE s2e3 (i Think) when Snotlout talks about how he learned stitching from his mother.

Twins:
Dad - unknown: Reference in Riders of Berk episode 5(?). When the cast puts out the boots for boot night (seemingly something they do only for fathers, a note for later) Ruffnut holds a boot to Tuff and he says, "Ugh, why is his left always smellier than his right?"

Mom - unknown: Referenced in Dawn of the Dragon Racers short:
Ruff: "Well you know what they say, you can't make an omelette without a few broken legs."
Astrid: "Uh, that's not how it goes."
Ruff: "It isn't? We should give out some apologies."
Tuff: "Yeah starting with mom."

Fishlegs:
Dad - unknown: Another 'Boot Night' Reference. We assume he has a father because Fishlegs takes his boots out.

Mother - unknown: Referenced in Riders of Berk (episode name - 'Breakneck Bog') when Hiccup is looking for a chest containing something from Hiccup's mother, Hiccup takes Fishlegs and Astrid to a dangerous place (title of episode). Fishlegs being scared as always doesn't want to go, and bargains like so:
Fishlegs: "I could give you something from my mother, you know how you like her crab cakes, or I could GIVE you my mother."

Astrid:
Dad and Mom - unknown: The only reference I remember is from S2E1 of RttE (Team Astrid) when Astrid's house is hit and burned down, Gobber says:
"Your parents are fine lass, they were at the yak races..."

So we can assume they are both alive since He says parentS and not just "your dad" or "your mom"

Basically every Teen Dragon Rider has a parental reference in the show
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

One thing to add is the interesting relationship of Spitelout being Stoick's brother (and therefore Hiccup's uncle). I'm not sure how naming conventions worked in Viking times, but if it works the same way as it does now, I'm a little confused.

In the episode "Thawfest", Spitelout says "No Jorgenson has ever even come close to losing the Thawfest games." implying that the Jorgensons have been a family for many generations. However, if Spitelout was Stoick's brother, wouldn't he be a Haddock too? Or Stoick a Jorgenson?

I'm probably overthinking this, but well... it doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts?
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

hictooth
31 Jul 2016, 01:19
One thing to add is the interesting relationship of Spitelout being Stoick's brother (and therefore Hiccup's uncle). I'm not sure how naming conventions worked in Viking times, but if it works the same way as it does now, I'm a little confused.

In the episode "Thawfest", Spitelout says "No Jorgenson has ever even come close to losing the Thawfest games." implying that the Jorgensons have been a family for many generations. However, if Spitelout was Stoick's brother, wouldn't he be a Haddock too? Or Stoick a Jorgenson?

I'm probably overthinking this, but well... it doesn't make sense to me. Thoughts?
I believe the cousins angle is only from the books. Someone who has actually read them can correct me if the info I read online is inaccurate, but book Snotlout doesn't seem to ever be associated with a Jorgenson clan (and his father is named Baggybum the Beerbelly rather than Spitelout). Also, unless it's come up in RTTE, I don't think that's ever been mentioned in the movie universe. I would just assume that the movie versions of the characters aren't related unless explicitly stated otherwise.
Rush2112
31 Jul 2016, 00:40
Astrid:
Dad and Mom - unknown: The only reference I remember is from S2E1 of RttE (Team Astrid) when Astrid's house is hit and burned down, Gobber says:
"Your parents are fine lass, they were at the yak races..."

So we can assume they are both alive since He says parentS and not just "your dad" or "your mom"
After the Fright Of Passage episode of DOB, it had always been my head-canon that Astrid never really knew her father and her uncle Finn had been like a father to her, thus her lingering determination to redeem his good name for the pride of the whole family. I'm actually a bit disappointed to see that this has been officially contradicted even if only in a passing line.

Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

draco

After the Fright Of Passage episode of DOB, it had always been my head-canon that Astrid never really knew her father and her uncle Finn had been like a father to her, thus her lingering determination to redeem his good name for the pride of the whole family. I'm actually a bit disappointed to see that this has been officially contradicted even if only in a passing line.

That always confused me there on astrids parents.

Toothless, alpha dragon.

Rush2112

[color=red]Dragon Pimp
[/color]

On the topic of Jorgenson vs. Haddock, they never really mention what level of cousins they are. ALSO it could be from Valka's bloodline if they are 1st cousins. But I don't remember concrete references to the cinematic or tv show saying they are cousins actually. It could be artistic license to remove that part.
Favorite quote:

Another Favorite quote:
"How many times has this kid been struck by lightning?" -Hiccup on Snotlout from A View to a Skrill Part 1

Co-caster of @BerkCast and our YouTube and tumblr
Hiccup Impersonator
Tall guy
Nerd

draco

I think that stoick and spitlout cant be brothers. Because spitlours last name would be haddock. Im thinking they may be cousins also. ^)

Toothless, alpha dragon.