Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Where do dragon babies come from?
Topic Started: 01 Mar 2017, 16:11 (40483 Views)
Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Science geeks, show your knowledge! Let's overanalyze this!
So... without getting too far into the specific, icky details of precisely how their reproduction works :X
I had assumed that all vertebrates reproduced sexually, which would mean that dragons needed two parents for the eggs to be laid (or at least, laid in a hatchable state; many birds *cough*chickensthemostwonderfulofbirds*cough* can lay unfertilized eggs, but they're not really relevant since they wouldn't hatch).

I had assumed that meant that all dragons, including huge ones such as the Eruptodon, Red Death, Bewilderbeast, and Foreverwing, would have to, let's say, visit each other. And I should think the Vikings would have noticed two huge, gigantic dragons in the same place, probably out in the open since there aren't many hidden places that will fit two dragons that size, yet the Vikings somehow didn't know about their existence.

As it was pointed out to me on another thread, reptiles are known to reproduce asexually. While some, such as some strains of the all-female Whiptail lizard reproduce asexually as their only mode of reproduction, others, such as boas or the Komodo dragon, do it by accident -- their normal mode of reproduction involves genes from both parents, but sometimes they end up with only the mother's genes.

So what do you all think about it? Feel free to show off some science knowledge on this thread!
Clouds of corn <3
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Watercressed Lunatic
I do not want a world without Toothless...

O>O>O>OO>O>O>OOOOO
"One of the most beautiful qualities of friendship is to understand and be understood."

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

I've actually discussed this topic with The Puppeteer. I hypothesize that the bigger the dragon, the longer the gestation period. I'd say the days during Snoggletog is the smaller dragons egg laying and mating period. Then, it takes an average of a year for the fetus to develop and a shell to cover the new baby dragon. So in the case of larger dragons, we can use the Eruptodon, we can assume the development period takes longer. We could compare them to larger mammals that develop longer inside the womb. In the show, they said they'd been waiting 200 years for an egg. So maybe the reason modern Vikings haven't seen them mate is due to their size it takes longer for a larger baby to develop, so no modern Vikings have witnessed it. Or in cases like the Bewilderbeast, which is an aquatic dragon, they could maybe do the deed under the ocean where Vikings couldn't see. Or in cases like the Eruptodon, asexual reproduction would work as well. Perhaps every Eruptodon is just a 'clone' of itself. I can't see it taking such a long period to develop the baby. But that's just my theory, a dragon theory! :)
^_^

Joel
What should I put here..

Theres actually alot of possibilities for this - the most logical conclusion would be that they take time for the egg to develop through its cycle inside the womb like Sila said prior. Asexual reproduction is still a possibility but that means that they will all be clones so that rules out the chance for deadly nadders,, monstrous nightmares etc to use asexual since they look all different.