Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The little things
Topic Started: 01 May 2014, 23:05 (54705 Views)
Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

What are some of the tiny or obscure themes and animations that helped make this movie great

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

N4raDov
Dovahkiin

I always loved the dynamic between Gobber and Hiccup. How you can tell without it ever really being pointed out that Gobber has been more of a father to Hiccup than Stoick. I also love the deep friendship you get between Stoick and Gobber, how they've been there for each other. Relationships like that I think make any movie so much better and worth watching over and over and over :)
C4P741N 5W4N

Toothless

I like the intro where it shows how awesome stoick is when he throws the wheelbarrow into the dragon or when he flicks fire off his shoulder like its nothing and the best part when stoick readjusts his helmet after 2 hand punching a monstrous nightmare

N4raDov
Dovahkiin

Yea! Those are all great moments!
C4P741N 5W4N

Nat the Hooligan
Left Handed Hooligan

i loved all the detail. even though i have seen the movie hundreds of times, i still notice something new every time. whether it be the sound of footsteps to a small background detail, all those small things amaze me at the about of work that went into getting all those details there.

"I'm good with fabric, who knew?!" ~Tuffnut

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

The cuts and burn on Toothless from where he was hit by the mangler.
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Toothless

Yeah I saw those too

chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

In terms of the animation, one of my favorite moments is the end of Forbidden Friendship -- Toothless eyes go from very dilated to very sharp when he blinks his eyes, and you can tell he's slightly unsure of what he's just done.

In terms of the story, a great parallel is when Hiccup and Stoick are standing in front of a crashed Toothless -- at the beginning and end of the movie, respectively -- and they both say "I did this." It's a very subtle theme of accountability that ties together father and son.

In terms of music, I'm always amused by the "eel chord," a specific chord they play both times the eel appears. :D

Astrid
Gronckle

I love the the questioning part, after gobber says "dragons always go for the kill", hiccup is all like "why didn't you?" I LOVE THAT, the fact that he dared to ask questions regarding of what they have always known and just dare to think they might be wrong, that there is another possibility.

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Can I just quickly say, I love you new avatar.

You have my approval! XD
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D