Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Forbes thinks Dragons will be the summer's biggest blockbuster
Topic Started: 10 Apr 2014, 23:12 (5435 Views)
Eret
....Son of Eret

Quote:

'How To Train Your Dragon 2' Trailer: Summer's Biggest Blockbuster?

Call it a hunch, call it gut feeling, but How To Train Your Dragon 2 feels like the top-tier mega-smash that’s getting somewhat lost in the discussion over comic book sequels. In all seriousness, who isn’t going to see this? Since the would-be summer preview stuff is about to start, let me go out on a limb and suggest that, if How To Train Your Dragon 2 is as good as we hope it will be, I believe that How To Train Your Dragon 2 will end up the biggest-grossing film of the summer. If I’m wrong so be it, and you can all make fun of me (but not the film) in August if it barely tops $500 million.

But I smell another Finding Nemo or Shrek 2 or Despicable Me 2 (which wasn’t even very good), the leggy animated crowd pleaser that packs them in as would-be blockbusters disappoint or fall by the wayside. It has all the ingredients for a classic break-out sequel and it has comparatively light direct competition after it opens. Transformers 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy will skew young, but in terms of explicit family fare, Planes: Fire and Rescue opens a month later while Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which I assume will be PG) opens two months later.

Come what may, How To Train Your Dragon 2 opens June 13th, 2014. As always, we’ll see.

Full article can be found here.

Thats really cool to hear considering all the blockbusters coming out this summer. What do you think? Agree/disagree? Will it beat Amazing Spiderman 2, Godzilla, X-men, Maleficent, The Fault in our Stars, 22 Jump Street, Transformers, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, AND Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles????

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

I can pretty much smell the magnum opus in this film. Let's hope it busts some blocks.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I could easily see Dragons 2 being one of it not the best made movie of the summer (depending on your individual tastes). I'm a little less certain that it'll beat Transformers money-wise. People attended the first three of those movies in droves despite how terrible they were, and I'd doubt the fourth one will break that trend.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

KentuckyWildcat
11 Apr 2014, 03:31
People attended the first three of those movies in droves despite how terrible they were, and I'd doubt the fourth one will break that trend.
Faith in humanity dwindling...

Also, weren't graphics supplied by DreamWorks? Dun, dun, dun!
User no longer exists.

Millie
Intellect

It will be.
Salutations! My fellow Grapeviner!
Fandom in here is louder than it appears! (cheesy, I know)

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

In our eyes, obviously it will be the biggest, however there are still lots of people who wont be bothered. I can see it being very high up on the charts, but competing with companies like Marvel is tough.

I just hope it does well for the sake of Dreamworks. Some of their latest movies have not taken off as well as they should have and for HTTYD2 to get at last some high up lovin' would be great. By the looks of the quality of this animation, it's going to be phenomenal, and I would love others outside of the fandom to see that too (: Let's finally get Dreamworks some awards, because my gosh they so deserve them.

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Kyle
Hatchling

I have a feeling it will do very well. It seems everyone I talk to has only good things to say about the first movie, and most didn't go see it in theaters. That is coming from an older age group too, as long as the second movie can target a wide age group like the first, it will do very well.
Visit my portfolio! Portfolio

TheEleventhViking
Terrible Terror

Hasn`t "The Hobbit - There and back again" been moved to the summer, instead of December. That one might be a challenger for HTTYD2

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

TheEleventhViking
11 Apr 2014, 16:58
Hasn`t "The Hobbit - There and back again" been moved to the summer, instead of December. That one might be a challenger for HTTYD2
Nope still on December 17th.

TheEleventhViking
Terrible Terror

HideousZippleback
11 Apr 2014, 17:01
TheEleventhViking
11 Apr 2014, 16:58
Nope still on December 17th.
Haha, no sorry you are absolutely right, I read it from an Aprils fool article :)