Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
What's your viewing plan for HTTYD2?
Topic Started: 11 Apr 2014, 17:42 (9241 Views)
AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

ToothlessTheUseless
11 Apr 2014, 21:40
Is it bad that I already requested June 12th off of work so I can go to the earliest showing possible...oh well.

The only thing I plan on bringing my 5 ft Toothless plushie once he's finished up. He's pretty huge so I doubt I'll be able to bring along anything else d:
:D You might need to buy an extra ticket for him!
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

AndyMay
11 Apr 2014, 21:36
:-/ I don't think it's going to be released in IMAX

I never remember Dean mentioning it, in the interview he said that it was being released in RealD, which is totally different from IMAX (and also available everywhere)
That's what I thought. Its really a shame though.

AndyMay

[b]
[/color]
[/b]

Yeah it is. It means we'll have to put up with those crappy glasses that force you force focus on an awkward point to get the to work perfectly :-/ . I might go see it in 2D then 3D afterward. (2D first so that I don't get distracted by the 3D eye strain)

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Fox didn't make a contract with IMAX for this movie. But that doesn' meN it won't be played in IMAX licensed cinemas. The most IMAX cinemas, exept the ones in museums, play nearly every movie.
The only difference will be that the movie won't be rendered to 8700 vertical pixels by IMAX DMR and the sound mixing is probably the same like in other cinemas. The you should remember that IMAX screens/projecgors are made for a 4:3 (1,33:1) ratio and HTTYD2 will be in 21:9 (2, 4:1) cinemascope. The difference of the resolution won't be so big, because only a half of the screen area will be used.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

AndyMay

[b]
[/color]
[/b]

Zer0x
11 Apr 2014, 23:00
Fox didn't make a contract with IMAX for this movie. But that doesn' meN it won't be played in IMAX licensed cinemas. The most IMAX cinemas, exept the ones in museums, play nearly every movie.
The only difference will be that the movie won't be rendered to 8700 vertical pixels by IMAX DMR and the sound mixing is probably the same like in other cinemas. The you should remember that IMAX screens/projecgors are made for a 4:3 (1,33:1) ratio and HTTYD2 will be in 21:9 (2, 4:1) cinemascope. The difference of the resolution won't be so big, because only a half of the screen area will be used.
Sounds to me like it won't be worth going all the way to an IMAX and that a normal cinema will do just fine!

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

It will be worthy! Because the screen is still much bigger and the audio system and image quality are much better than in a normal cinema.
UNAMUSED

AndyMay

[b]
[/color]
[/b]

Wait, when you say half the screen area do you mean because the film is in Letterbox? (i.e. 2.35:1 unlike other films which normally use the whole screen)

If yes, then oops I misread your comment. I thought by only half the screen will be used you meant as in they won't take advantage of the size of the IMAX screen and instead show it at the same size as a normal screen.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Yes the film will have letterboxes on 16:9 or 4:3 screens. Cinemascope 2,4:1 (2,35:1 for TV) is the true ratio for movies. The most cinemas useses this format. The reason why IMAX have 4:3 and 16:9 screens in newer cinemas is, that IMAX cameras capture in 8000x6000pixels. Mabe you've seen the IMAX Edition from Transformers 2 or The Dark Knight. The ratio changed in some scenes from 21:9 to 16:9, these scenes are filmed with IMAX cameras (and the image quality is unbeatable). IMAX uses these unusual movie format, because with its big screens the movie is more immersive when you have to look up and down to see everything.
UNAMUSED

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

I'm gonna catch the first showing I can here in Ireland. I'll be bringing my Toothless figurine with me of course :D

Hopefully I can afford seeing it at least twice and perhaps a few more times if I can :3
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.

Spineblade
Dragon Egg

Going to see it in 3D with a friend. He might be on holiday when it comes out in the UK, though, so I'll have to wait even behind the 4th of July.