Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Thoughts On The Soundtrack
Topic Started: 10 Apr 2014, 23:39 (1692 Views)
Millie
Intellect

The trailer had two songs which were Jónsi - Go Do and 30 Seconds To Mars - Kings and Queens which were actually brilliantly perfect for the movie considering its adventurous and action themes that are presented.

But what about the actual soundtrack? The one being composed by John Powell and Jónsi (two great combinations if you ask me). I think we'll hear maybe how Sigur Rós would sound or some of John Powell's past compositions because of the more action themed and intense moments that are going to be present in the movie.

Would do you think we are going to hear in the movie? Is it going to be like another artist? Similar or different to the first movie? Or a completely new soundtrack from scratch? Express your thoughts.
Salutations! My fellow Grapeviner!
Fandom in here is louder than it appears! (cheesy, I know)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

I hope some themes do carry over nicely from the first film, but not blatantly so. If themes from the first film are used, they need to be basically reinvented. Difficult, considering how many time Mr. Powell uses each theme, in different orchestration, mood, and key.

I actually hope Jónsi stays out of much of the main scoring -- I don't see how the two's sounds can really jam well, unless Powell writes and Jón performs. Jónsi's sound should be reserved for smaller sections where the unique timbre can really shine.

Another hope I have is for Powell to not get into the realm of being gritty. The Bourne Ultimatum has a gritty soundtrack, filled with grid-like composing and synth loops. What made the HTTYD score unique for me was the return of an early-Hollywood tradition of heavy motif repetition, combined with postmodern writing (style ranging from traditional diatonicism to atonality!). It's an independent narrative experiences filled with pure-gold wind solos and brass fanfares and string sweeps, and one that doesn't need to rely on emotional response. Most of the recent action movies, however, have had more impressionistic soundtracks (looking at you, Iron Man 3), and they cannot stand on their own when the film is removed.

All I want is to be able to listen to the Abbey Road Studio recordings, like, right now. WHY IS THAT SO HARD? UGH
Σ (a sigma-ture)

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

I'm reserving my opinion until I actually hear the film score.
User no longer exists.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I think it will be like in every sequel. They use some of the themes from the first movie, change some things on the orchestra and add new themes for new characters/situations.

Quote:

Another hope I have is for Powell to not get into the realm of being gritty. The Bourne Ultimatum has a gritty soundtrack, filled with grid-like composing and synth loops. What made the HTTYD score unique for me was the return of an early-Hollywood tradition of heavy motif repetition, combined with postmodern writing (style ranging from traditional diatonicism to atonality!). It's an independent narrative experiences filled with pure-gold wind solos and brass fanfares and string sweeps, and one that doesn't need to rely on emotional response. Most of the recent action movies, however, have had more impressionistic soundtracks (looking at you, Iron Man 3), and they cannot stand on their own when the film is removed.
I couldn't have said it any better.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Fynriel
Gronckle

Dean Deblois constantly likens HTTYD 2 to "The Empire Strikes Back", stating that he liked how that sequel expanded on the original Star Wars , how it broadened its scope, and so forth.

I want to see that ambition carried through to the soundtrack. Empire retained the amazing Star Wars soundtrack, but also created many new pieces and themes (like the most famous of all, "Imperial March", for instance) that people have since come to associate with the franchise.
That's what I want to see from the new Dragon soundtrack. It should feel like HTTYD, with familiar themes and all, but still be new and fresh in some places.

I don't want it to be too reiterative of the first one. I personally think Kung Fu Panda 2 was a bit guilty of that. The fact that we've jumped 5 years in time, all the characters look different, etc., all that gives the film a really distinct and unique identity and I want the score to have that as well.

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

As the previous posters have mentioned, it will most likely have just extended on some of the original themes from the first one with some new additions, or at least I hope so. I'm really glad they've brought back John Powell and Jónsi.
The HTTYD soundtrack is one of the few soundtracks that I never bore from listening too, and I'd love the next one to be the same. I'm almost as excited for the music as I am for the actual movie itself (:

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Hiccupfriend
Terrible Terror

Fynriel
11 Apr 2014, 10:31
Dean Deblois constantly likens HTTYD 2 to "The Empire Strikes Back", stating that he liked how that sequel expanded on the original Star Wars , how it broadened its scope, and so forth.

I want to see that ambition carried through to the soundtrack. Empire retained the amazing Star Wars soundtrack, but also created many new pieces and themes (like the most famous of all, "Imperial March", for instance) that people have since come to associate with the franchise.
That's what I want to see from the new Dragon soundtrack. It should feel like HTTYD, with familiar themes and all, but still be new and fresh in some places.

I don't want it to be too reiterative of the first one. I personally think Kung Fu Panda 2 was a bit guilty of that. The fact that we've jumped 5 years in time, all the characters look different, etc., all that gives the film a really distinct and unique identity and I want the score to have that as well.
I am a movie score fan. I think this describes best what we will get. I think John Powell is able to create interesting new themes and combines them with our old favorites in new and wonderful ways. Just like Star Wars or Harry Potter composers are able to create a score witch is a unique journey on its own. John Powell is capable of that. I am so hyped for the score that it will be the first I can listen to even before the movie comes out. 2nd July for me. Only am I afraid that the titles of the cues will spoil things for me.
'I looked at him and saw myself' Hiccup

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

yeah i just hope he does good. soundtrack is really important