Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
If the movie was to focus more on one or the other, which would it be?
Toothless and Hiccup 18 (64%)
Hiccstrid 7 (25%)
Valka and Stoick 2 (7%)
Eret and Ruffnut 0 (0%)
Other 1 (4%)

Poll vote for most important relationship.
Topic Started: 11 Apr 2014, 09:52 (2464 Views)
Pyr0mancer
Hatchling

I think one of the most important relationship would be the one of Hiccup and Astrid, it seems unimportant, but the truth is Astrid helps Hiccup... a lot! If it wasn't for Astrid, Hiccup wouldn't have come up with the plan to attack the Green death(big dragon at the end of Httyd). She also helps Hiccup with the dragon academy in the Dragons series.
Plus she seems to help Hiccup with his emotions(as seen in trailer 1).

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

ah yes, but without Toothless and Hiccup, there wouldn't be HTTYD xD

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Fynriel
Gronckle

As much as Hiccstrid means to me, Hiccup and Toothless are really the emotional core of the series I feel. But I totally agree that Astrid's support and help (and love!) are vital for Hiccup.

kozmotisblack
assistant of dragons

((Warning for mixed in spoilers below))

I'm not trying to critique you love, but I think that this is perhaps worded a little poorly. I disagree that any relationships you mentioned in the poll is insignificant or more significant. They're all very important for building up the movie. I think that is why How To Train Your Dragon is so complex for an animated film. Many of the characters, including side characters, interact with each other in ways that are emotionally charging. While it is hinted, and shown a bit in the new trailer we received, that Eret is heavily influenced by Hiccup, we know that Ruffnut is influenced by Eret. While I completely agree that Berk's duo, Toothless and Hiccup, are the absolute heart of this movie and I personally care for more moments with them, I think it's wrong to say that they are more important then Valka's and Stoicks complicated relationship. All of it adds to the film and creates a really exciting dynamic.

I might be making this more complicated then it needs to be. I feel very strongly for Hiccup and Toothless but that doesn't make me less excited about seeing Stoick and Hiccup interact or see Astrid's compassion with him.

taking art requests on tumblr
Surviving the movie one day at a time.

Pyr0mancer
Hatchling

yeah true, but I think that HTTYD 1 was dedicated to their friendship.

kozmotisblack
assistant of dragons

Pyr0mancer
11 Apr 2014, 16:04
yeah true, but I think that HTTYD 1 was dedicated to their friendship.
Ah, well, since this is in the sequel forum and the poll was for sequel related characters, I thought we were pushing more at the second movie. (( This sounds very snarky, I promise that is not the tone I am intending, just that I was mistaken in your discussion intentions ))

taking art requests on tumblr
Surviving the movie one day at a time.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

When this movie would be about Astrid and Hiccup, they wouln't need dragons in it. That's what make it so special, "We have Dragons" and not "We have boring relationships like every other movie"...

I don't like the fact that every single movie which comes from Hollywood have to have relationships based on love. The first movie was different, it was focused on friendship. Hiccstrid was only a sidekick. I hope that it will be the same with the second movie.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Well I think that the Hiccstrid and H&T relationships are just as important as each other, just on totally different levels!

Anyways I'm going to have to say Hiccstrid on the bases that I'm too strong a Hiccstrid shipper to vote otherwise, but I view both as important as the other!
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

HumanToothless
Human/Former Dragon/Night Fury

But what about Stoick and Valka they have just reunited (as seen in the second trailer)?
I ate a tasty looking purple flower and then the next thing you know I am human. I am currently trying to get used to the whole being human thing so be nice. I am completely human not a hybrid okay?

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I don't think you can pick only one that's the most important (although I feel like Ruff and Eret should probably be less important). The trilogy is Hiccup's story, and that story wouldn't be the same without any of the other relationships above. I'll look at them one by one.

Hiccup and Toothless- No doubt important since Toothless was Hiccup's first real friend. Their friendship also allowed him to be a hero despite not being a traditional Viking which is pretty important. The fact that Toothless is pretty much dependent on him to survive just adds to the depth of their bond. Going forward, I expect they'll remain best friends. It seems like alone time exploring with Toothless might be Hiccup's emotional escape from stress, and their teamwork will once again be necessary to save the day. Unlike some people however, I don't think that this is the only thing that the franchise is about.

Hiccup and Astrid- Although Astrid is more of a background character for the biggest part of the first movie, she shouldn't be underestimated. She's the first Viking to accept Hiccup for who he is rather than keep waiting for him to become like everybody else. Now that they seem fairly committed to each other romantically five years later, I think this relationship will become much more important moving forward. We know Hiccup is a bit of a dreamer, and it looks like Astrid will be the one who understands him best and serves as his reality-check when he needs it. That in addition to her being the first in line to fight by his side will be hugely significant as he inevitably progresses towards being chief.

Stoick and Valka- I don't know how this will play out. We do know that Hiccup wanted the approval of his father as much as anything at the start of the first movie. Now that he earned it, what happens next will be interesting to see as they're still two very different people. Will the weight of Stoick's expectations drive another wedge between them? What will happen once Valka comes into the picture? Will it be a happy family reunion or will there be conflict? How would Hiccup respond to losing one or both of them? Whatever happens here, I think it's safe to say that it'll be important in shaping Hiccup's journey.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.