Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
First Hour of HTTYD2 at WonderCon
Topic Started: 19 Apr 2014, 04:40 (5249 Views)
Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

ToothlessNightFury
19 Apr 2014, 07:36
I know but if it's online then gifs will be made and it means I have to avoid everything remotly related to httyd 1 and 2 which woun't be easy.
There were books and radio when I was a boy.
User no longer exists.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Whether or not this is a terrible idea or not depends largely on two factors: how long this film is going to be, and where any big plot twists are going to come in.

Now, the average animated film is about 90 minutes. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if HTTYD 2 is a little bit longer, say, 100 minutes (offhand, I don't recall an official running time as of yet). In other words, this preview is going to end a fair bit short of the third act. In my experience, the most shocking plot twists in films tend to happen either in the third act, or around the end of act two. When you think about it, HTTYD was very predictable up until the Red Death makes its appearance, and the most shocking twist, that is, Hiccup losing his leg, comes right at the end.

In other words, it's highly unlikely that we'll get any serious spoilers from this preview, especially when you consider that we've known that Valka is Hiccup's mother for months now. In all honesty, what can Dreamworks do to top that, especially in the first two acts?

And just for the record, I will undoubtedly look up a few summaries of this preview, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eret
....Son of Eret

KentuckyWildcat
19 Apr 2014, 03:59
Yeah, I think it's probably a bit much as a promotional tactic. They don't need to show nearly that much to get people interested, and plot leaks are almost certain to happen with the screening being at an event like that.

I will say though that I'm not all that jealous of the people who will be there. It would actually suck to see over half of a movie only to have it cut-off abruptly forcing you to wait two more months to see how it ends.
There were screeners for Toy Story 3 that showed an hour of the movie. I went to one. This was about three months before the movie was even released. It cut off right at the point where buzz is first set to spanish mode. I don't think that caused any big spoiler leaks for the movie which was, dare I say it, even more highly anticipated than httyd2. I'm sure everyone in the theater has signed some sort of NDA and I'm positive they're all going to be checked for cameras and have their phones taken away, as is standard at most movie screenings.

ggamer77
Hatchling

I would never want to watch the whole first hour of a movie (especially HTTYD2) before I would be able to watch the whole thing 2 months later. I don't see the point in showing a whole hour. And yeah there's probably gonna spoilers everywhere on the internet afterwords.
irc://irc.caffie.net/HTTYD
My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ggamer77

hiccupi
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

So is the screening of the 1st hour TODAY or TOMORROW?

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

6 hours, 50 minutes...
User no longer exists.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Getting tired of DW decisions to advertise the movie. Sure the audience will most likely end on a cliffhanger, but then they gotta wait 2 FEAKING MONTHS for the last 45 minutes. Not worth it. They spoiled so much already too...

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

4 hours, 28 minutes...
User no longer exists.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

No... Bad choice DW
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Hiccdew_Forever
Member Avatar
Deadly Nadder

Night fury fire
19 Apr 2014, 20:46
No... Bad choice DW
Did you know that Fox is making plans to show the 1 hour clip in May after Rio 2 credits?
User no longer exists.