Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Full Five Min. Clip (spoilers)
Topic Started: 21 Apr 2014, 20:54 (8873 Views)
kozmotisblack
assistant of dragons

eret
21 Apr 2014, 21:49
I'm still skeptical about the music thing but I haven't seen the clip yet or even heard the song (I'm trying to resist!!!!!) so hopefully you are all right that it does fit the scene.
bless you friend and good luck

taking art requests on tumblr
Surviving the movie one day at a time.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Did anyone else notice the flourish at the end?

I transcribed it here:

A nice dialogue between the trumpets and the horns, built around the Romantic Flight theme (in E major). Glad to see this motif return.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

Jendora
Hiccup's Girlfriend

I'm watching it again for about the third time today (oh, wait, it's a new day now...so the first time today). Figured I'd throw out my thoughts. (I don't have many because there isn't really any "new" in this one).

First thought: I need to download this! That is on the task list for later today.

Spoilers for the clip start here

I like the comparison with the first movie where they show the dragon snatching up the sheep. Combine that with Hiccup's awesome voice-over and you have a very worthy opening, in my opinion.

Astrid was great in the opening sequence. I love when she snatches up the black sheep from Ruffnut. That's some pretty awesome animation!

I'm guessing that Hiccup designed most of those dragon amenities. Especially the "top-of-the-line fire prevention" since he seems to be boasting about it.

Seriously, the sheep in this series are so freaking funny. I love when their eyes get all wide and such (like the scene in the first movie when Astrid catches Hiccup sneaking around at the forge).

I'm not liking all the Ruffnut flirting. It's a bit much and I really hope they cool it off a bit in the rest of the movie.

At first I was unsure about using a song with lyrics during the opening flight sequences, but the more I watch this clip, the more I like what they did with the Jonsi song. It's growing on me. Though I hope they even out the volume a bit. There are moments where the song lyrics overshadow Hiccup's words.

I'm thinking there's another scene in here. It kinda cuts off abruptly and we don't see what caused the crash. Smart move, I think. Don't spoil that; I'd rather see the mishap in the theater when I see the full movie.

The scene on the cliff was just pure perfection!

I'm so super excited for June! Yep, that's about it. :)
Coming Soon!!

xserpx
Dragon Egg

Finally gave in and watched the clip (considering everyone's been telling me that it's not really spoilers since it's nothing we've seen before and it's not the final cut). Even so:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I really liked the dragon race! I can't wait to see more of that in the cinema. And I know some people are complaining about the Lout/Ruff/Legs triangle, but I actually really liked it. One of my problems with the first movie was that all the teenagers aside from Hiccup, Astrid and Toothless didn't get much development at all, and what I loved about the TV show is that it gave us a chance to get to know the secondary characters (although interestingly they rarely gave Ruffnut much time to shine). I doubt these romantic developments will serve as much more than humour, and for the most part I think it'll show the camaraderie between the rest of Hiccup's friends. Also I just really love Ruffnut ok thanks bye.

Hiccup and Toothless' flying sequence never ceases to blow me away animation-wise, but I too felt the Jonsi song just didn't fit right with what was happening on screen. I loved the song, don't get me wrong, but it definitely wasn't dynamic enough for the first full flying scene of the film. The flying sequences in the first movie work so well because the music ebbs and flows with what the characters are doing - when they're falling, the music falls, and when they soar the music soars etc. The teaser trailer's great because it uses the music to give the audience a sense of movement in the same way the first film did. But here, just sticking Jonsi over the top feels very flat and boring.

I'm really worried about the musical cues in this marketing generally. After 30 Seconds to Mars, and now this random Jonsi, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get to hear more of John Powell's arrangements! (I know we will, and I trust them enough not to stick in a scene in solely backed by pop music, I'm just surprised they're not using some original music in their advertising, considering the first score was 100% Oscar-nominated brilliance).

Ohh I loved getting more of Hiccup and Toothless' fighting! And the way he flicked the spit in Toothless' face! Oh man. I also love that Hiccup is still kind of a loner. It shows he's still experiencing the repercussions of being shunted by society for much of his life, and it's interesting to compare this version with the TV show too - I got the feeling that at the end of DoB, Hiccup would have been only too eager to learn more from his Dad about leadership and chiefing. But this Hiccup seems far more indifferent to that side of his life and far more preoccupied with falling out of the sky XD. It'll be great to see exactly what the father/son relationship has become throughout the course of this film.

Also am I the only one who feels kind of annoyed at Hiccup for missing his girlfriend's single-handed win against all the other kids and the guy who's meant to be on her team? Astrid is so awesome, and her competitive streak needs no encouragement, but it feels like Stoick is doing Hiccup's job when it comes to cheering for her! I hope Hiccup get called out on that at some point!

Fawnduu
Gronckle

xserpx
22 Apr 2014, 08:12
Finally gave in and watched the clip (considering everyone's been telling me that it's not really spoilers since it's nothing we've seen before and it's not the final cut). Even so:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

I really liked the dragon race! I can't wait to see more of that in the cinema. And I know some people are complaining about the Lout/Ruff/Legs triangle, but I actually really liked it. One of my problems with the first movie was that all the teenagers aside from Hiccup, Astrid and Toothless didn't get much development at all, and what I loved about the TV show is that it gave us a chance to get to know the secondary characters (although interestingly they rarely gave Ruffnut much time to shine). I doubt these romantic developments will serve as much more than humour, and for the most part I think it'll show the camaraderie between the rest of Hiccup's friends. Also I just really love Ruffnut ok thanks bye.

Hiccup and Toothless' flying sequence never ceases to blow me away animation-wise, but I too felt the Jonsi song just didn't fit right with what was happening on screen. I loved the song, don't get me wrong, but it definitely wasn't dynamic enough for the first full flying scene of the film. The flying sequences in the first movie work so well because the music ebbs and flows with what the characters are doing - when they're falling, the music falls, and when they soar the music soars etc. The teaser trailer's great because it uses the music to give the audience a sense of movement in the same way the first film did. But here, just sticking Jonsi over the top feels very flat and boring.

I'm really worried about the musical cues in this marketing generally. After 30 Seconds to Mars, and now this random Jonsi, I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get to hear more of John Powell's arrangements! (I know we will, and I trust them enough not to stick in a scene in solely backed by pop music, I'm just surprised they're not using some original music in their advertising, considering the first score was 100% Oscar-nominated brilliance).

Ohh I loved getting more of Hiccup and Toothless' fighting! And the way he flicked the spit in Toothless' face! Oh man. I also love that Hiccup is still kind of a loner. It shows he's still experiencing the repercussions of being shunted by society for much of his life, and it's interesting to compare this version with the TV show too - I got the feeling that at the end of DoB, Hiccup would have been only too eager to learn more from his Dad about leadership and chiefing. But this Hiccup seems far more indifferent to that side of his life and far more preoccupied with falling out of the sky XD. It'll be great to see exactly what the father/son relationship has become throughout the course of this film.

Also am I the only one who feels kind of annoyed at Hiccup for missing his girlfriend's single-handed win against all the other kids and the guy who's meant to be on her team? Astrid is so awesome, and her competitive streak needs no encouragement, but it feels like Stoick is doing Hiccup's job when it comes to cheering for her! I hope Hiccup get called out on that at some point!
I completely agree with the music thing. What made the flight sequences so epic and amazing in the first movies was 1. The camera moves and animation were astounding and really pulled you in 2. The music drove the flight just like you said whenever i watch the first flight between hiccup and toothless i get chills especially the shot where they recover from the fall and pull it together at the end the music is so bold and what it would feel like to fly through music. Im hoping in the final sound mixing theyll tone down jonsi's words a bit and let the orchestral movements come through
Im Courtney, a Concept Artist/ Computer Animator! 8)

My Art Page
My Animations

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

...Good to know everyone understands how to use the spoiler tag :-/
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Eret
....Son of Eret

AndyMay
22 Apr 2014, 12:20
...Good to know everyone understands how to use the spoiler tag :-/
Spoiler: click to toggle

HTTYDL
Dragon Egg

WOW saw the clip like 100 times, the animation was so cool. the only thing that bothered me that a lot of parts where cut off parts that we've seen in other clips.. and if you listen carefully you can hear the voices cutting off... also scenes like when Astrid jumps into Barf and Belch and steals the black sheep if you see Astrid never finished walking.. you can see that she jumps in the dragon and jumps out.. in the black sheep clip, you could see a much fluid movement...and if you watch there are some dragon fire explosions during the race that we don't know where they came from because it clearly looks that they cut it off.. but i don't think this will be the exact 5 minutes they are probably going to fix them later.. other than that I LOVED the MUSIC!! LOVE HICCUP, LOVE ASTRID AND TUFF MAKES ME LAUGH SO MUCH!! :wub: :wub:

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

I LOVE THAT SCENE WHERE HICCUP AND TOOTHLESS ARE FLYING!!!! I wanna hug someone and cry at the same time because it's so beautiful! The music is AMAZING!!!! =,D
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

ekf501
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Loved seeing the clip, especially since it's not the entire full first 5 minutes, they clipped and cut scenes in between.
But the ONE thing that's bugging me is that I can't identify that awesome song during Hiccup's flight.
I know it's probably Jonsi/Sigur Ros, but the internet doesn't seem to have the song lyrically catalogued.
So for anyone who might know, what's the name of the song with lyrics like this:
"Let the wind carry us to the clouds where we are alright!"