Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Httyd 2 and Star Wars. Good or Bad? [spoilers]
Topic Started: 20 Apr 2014, 14:28 (1516 Views)
I am Smaug
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Hi, so this is something that has me thinking. There has been a lot of talk about how httyd 2 will incorperate a lot of elements of the empire strikes back, which I think is something that Dean DeBlois is intentionally aiming for.

There are lots of examples that have been shown so far. Cloudjumper is based on an x-wing. The battle between drago and berk on the ice land, resembles the battle of hoth. Hiccup receiving gudiance and possible training from a kind of wise old guru in a distance land.(Luke and yoda). Then theres the whole valka thing in genreal. I mean the protagnast meets a masked stranger, who later turns out to be their parent. Hell there is even a force mind trick that can now be done on dragons as we saw.

So what I'm getting at is, that i can see alot of themes from ESB being used in some form for httyd 2. So the question is, is that good? I mean i dont belive the film is going to be a complete rip off or anything, but is there too much star wars reference being used? If anyone wants to say something or add on to what i said, feel free
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I think it'll turn out fine. The thing about Star Wars is that its basic story structure didn't actually deviate very much from the archetypical hero's journey (also known as the monomyth theory). What really set it apart was the rich and unique universe it was set in complete with a quirky cast of characters. In fact, in the interviews I've seen with Dean, the universe-building aspect of The Empire Strikes Back seems to be the thing he emphasizes the most that he wants to emulate in the HTTYD franchise. From what we've seen so far, I think he can be successful at that.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

While those observations are pretty good, I think that Deblois meant more that he was going to gain inspiration from deeper themes within Empire instead of superficial themes. Stuff like the design of Cloudjumper (looking similar to an x-wing) I don't think was intentionally and purposefully drawn from Star Wars. It's just a cool design for a dragon. But the deeper themes like parentage and the main character finding out who they are and what they are supposed to be are drawn from Empire.

Now, I could be 100% wrong since I obviously haven't seen HTTYD2, but I think Deblois was drawing inspiration deeper than just superficial details. I think Hiccup's character will definitely have a dash of Luke Skywalker in him, he even was a bit like him in the first film.
"Thank you for summing that up."

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Or... This could mean that the 2nd HTTYD movie is going to have a dark and sad ending, like the Emipre. Personally, I wouldn't mind it, ESB is my all time fav movie.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails