Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Who do you think will die in the series? (Spoilers)
Topic Started: 28 Apr 2014, 04:45 (4741 Views)
WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Why is everyone so sure that someone will die anyways?
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Because good movies wouldn't be good movies without at least one death of a fancied character.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Eret
....Son of Eret

I don't even know to be honest. I think as soon as they started calling this film "dark" people immediately jumped to the conclusion that it meant a main character was going to die, and now its spread around so much that we've all convinced ourselves of it :P

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

WasBornCrazy
28 Apr 2014, 08:45
Why is everyone so sure that someone will die anyways?
Well, the official advertisements, interviews, etc. are mostly trying to portray as something in the vein of an epic fantasy, and those tend to kill off at least one important character.

Outside of genre conventions, there is going to be one huge battle in this film (and possibly some smaller ones as well), and there's simply no way you can believably have one of those without some deaths. Given the size of Hiccup's circle of friends and family, and the fact that the vast majority of them (if not all of them) would at least be trying to get on the front lines, it would stretch credibility if no characters of importance died. And of course, Drago doesn't strike me as the sort to learn about the Magic of Friendship.

Alternatively, we could always just consider the belief that a character will die to be a form of optimism, as death scenes do tend to create some good drama (seriously, find me a text where the first death of a good guy didn't work for creating drama - it can certainly be overdone, but one death isn't going to do that). Personally, I'm not nearly optimistic to think that the character I want to die will die (where people get the idea that Valka will die, I have no idea), but if I will be very surprised (and at least a little bit disappointed) if no character of note dies before the trilogy is over.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I'm suspecting the good Bewilderbeast will die. Or at least be seriously wounded in battle. Though I hope for his death more than just being wounded.

Eret
....Son of Eret

HideousZippleback
28 Apr 2014, 16:50
I'm suspecting the good Bewilderbeast will die. Or at least be seriously wounded in battle. Though I hope for his death more than just being wounded.
Oh I didn't even think about that. Yeah I think one or both of the bewilderbeasts is toast.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Hmmm.... I'd think Valka might go first because even if she was just introduced, she seems like someone who'd show up suddenly and then disappear again and for the final time.
Either her or Stoick, in my opinion. Or maybe he's set to say goodbye in the future?

Nat the Hooligan
Left Handed Hooligan

eret
28 Apr 2014, 13:27
I don't even know to be honest. I think as soon as they started calling this film "dark" people immediately jumped to the conclusion that it meant a main character was going to die, and now its spread around so much that we've all convinced ourselves of it :P
this is very true. when i heard that this was going to be the darkest movie i instantly thought of mass chaos or emotions all over the place, both of which can easily come from a death. i don't really know who will/should die.

there are the reasons for Stoick so Hiccup can take the role of chief without the lame excuse of retiring.

Valka in a way that is maybe sacrificing herself for her son kinda thing. i can see that as how she could die, finding out her son is alive a well along with all that's he's accomplished and being proud of him. then seeing he is in trouble so she jumps in to protect him.

I'm almost certain Drago will die but that's not really a 'pull at the heart-strings' kind of death. I'm also pretty sure one if not both of the bewilder-beasts will die in that epic battle.

as far as other characters. i think Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs and Eret will all be fine. it could be one of the twins that might die, and with Ruffnut being the girl i think that leaves Tuffnut as one that might die. when a twin dies in any series, you can't say you weren't shocked/devastated.

here's one i haven't seen. what about Toothless? that would probably be the hardest for anyone to deal with but isn't that the point of a death? he's been with Hiccup through it all and maybe he does something to save Hiccup again, like in the first one, but this time gives his life for his best friend. (now i know this can easily be shot down with the fact that that in the 3rd movie we learn more about night furies but its a thought. maybe Hiccup stumbles apon night furies with Astrid or something)

"I'm good with fabric, who knew?!" ~Tuffnut

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

There's no way Toothless will die in HTTYD 2, for one simple reason: marketing. Toothless is basically the franchise's mascot (for example, he's on the packaging for all the Defenders of Berk toys), so there's no way they'd kill him off when there's still another movie to go. In the third movie, it's an undeniable possibility, but not in the second one.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

Cartoon Freak
30 Apr 2014, 14:20
There's no way Toothless will die in HTTYD 2, for one simple reason: marketing. Toothless is basically the franchise's mascot (for example, he's on the packaging for all the Defenders of Berk toys), so there's no way they'd kill him off when there's still another movie to go. In the third movie, it's an undeniable possibility, but not in the second one.
I agree with this. There's a possibility that Toothless could die in the 3rd movie, but not in the second. Dreamworks would never do that when he's probably the biggest selling point of the movie to a lot of people.

My money is still on Stoick if they do actually kill someone off. The only other one I can see is Snotlout, and that's just because of the books.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-